U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2008, 01:24 PM

49 posts, read 138,930 times

Advertisements

Hi.
My husband and I are moving to the La Crosse area and need advice. I will be working in La Crosse and his job options ( with the same company he now works for) are La Crosse, Eau Claire ,and Rochester, and MSP. The La Crosse site is full so he's looking to the others. Coming from the East we're wary of winter commuting although we have survived Boston winters with the help of commuter rail! Are there commuting options to these places? Or are there towns in a mid-way point between two that would be a good compromise place? Or do you have any other advice?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 09:43 PM

5,683 posts, read 9,738,132 times
Unfortunately, commuter rail is not a reality in Wisconsin, although at least in the southeastern corner of the state, there is probably sufficient population density to justify it. Over at the western edge, though, not so much; there are really no big cities in that part of the state, and the communities that are there are separated by wide swaths of farmland.

As to the work options available to your spouse, at least from my perspective, those distances would be prohibitive. He'd be looking at a one-way commute of anywhere from 75 to 156 miles to the three communities that you mention, and with gas approaching $4/gallon, that's not a trivial consideration. Even if you were to settle somewhere in between, your aggregate commute distance would make for some really high fuel costs. And in the winter, I surely would not want to be driving those kinds of distances even if gasoline were a dime a gallon.

Is there any possibility that your spouse could telecommute? Or could he take a leave of absence until an opening develops at the La Crosse location? Alternatively, does your future employer have any programs to help place spouses? A surprising number of employers these days have realized that moves like this involve more than just one person, and some will provide placement assistance to the spouses of their newly moved or transferred employees.

Best of luck to you in any case; it sounds like you have some challenges ahead, and I wish you success and happiness.

Old 04-18-2008, 03:46 PM

17 posts, read 61,653 times
We have friends that live in Winona, MN, and he works in Rochester and she in La Crosse. She's got about a half hour drive to work, he's got about 40 minutes.

Old 04-18-2008, 03:48 PM

17 posts, read 61,653 times
Oh, and the drive to both towns in winter isn't all that bad. One thing I've noticed in this area is that they keep the roads up nicely in winter!

Old 04-19-2008, 12:38 AM

63 posts, read 213,519 times
You definitely would not want to work in MSP and commute from La Crosse. It is at best a 2 hour and 30 minute drive and should be eliminated unless you are willing to work in that area as well. Rochester to La Crosse will be at best 50 minutes if you are speeding, it's more realistically an hour drive. Eau Claire to La Crosse is around an hour and 15 minutes. If I would pick a place to work it would be Rochester since I-90 is plowed and kept up better in the winter than Wis 93 heading up to Eau Claire. The two small towns that comes to my mind between Rochester and La Crosse are Lewiston and St. Charles come to mind. Although I would not live in Lewiston as they recently have been having issues with their police department and I know very little about St. Charles so possibly someone else could fill you in. Commuting between Rochester and La Crosse should not be a big deal except if you get a really bad snow storm maybe once a year. I am unsure of your situation but possibly you want to look at living really close to or in La Crosse if your husband is trying to eventually get transferred there. That way you will not have to buy and home in a small community between Rochester and La Crosse, then sell that, and move close to La Crosse if he gets transferred. La Crescent and Onalaska would be a straight shot to Rochester and are great communities as well.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:04 AM

49 posts, read 138,930 times
Thanks for these posts! My husband is trying to find a transfer with his company to either the La Crosse or Rochester locations ( although they have broached Eau Claire with him.)
It is so nice to have advice from folks on the ground!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin