Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 10:10 AM

298 posts, read 303,179 times

Advertisements

How much snow does Wisconsin get? How cold temperature wise are the winters? We have really bad mosquitoes in the summer where we live. They are awful if you go outside without Deet you will be covered in bites. They call the mosquitoes "no see ums". We get snow but it is gone within a week or so not really heavy snowfall. It does get cold in the 20's or 30's in the thick of winter in the day-nights can get colder. We get rain in the summertime, sometimes a thunder storm or two during the day. Our property taxes and utilities are low so is housing. Gas is low too we have sales tax and pay income tax and food prices are about the same as the rest of the US. Healthcare costs are about the same as well. The area we live in is mostly Conservatives and very few Democrats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2019, 01:39 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicCarFamily View Post
How much snow does Wisconsin get? How cold temperature wise are the winters? .

Its a good size state, and on two great lakes. Where you are is going to impact temps and snow amounts greatly. It's published data though, so easy to look up for specific towns.

Old 10-18-2019, 04:16 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
Skeeters? Not as bad as I had in NC. We walked all summer here in town, cut grass, went to the lake and other outside stuff. I hardly was bit at all, and its been very wet this year. Put on bug spray a few times but didn't really need it. All time record rain/snow in Green Bay.

Snow, lots of snow the last few years. Fall is great temps today 32 up to 55. No bugs, clear skies, leaves are changing. We love it here.

Old 10-19-2019, 06:36 AM

903 posts, read 663,749 times
Skeeters are hit or miss. It was a wet summer and at times they were bad and others not at all.
Winter is all over the place. Some winters are snowy and it lasts till April. Others the 1st snow that sticks comes in January and it is gone by March. We see it all.

Old 10-22-2019, 06:28 PM

246 posts, read 349,369 times
I left HELLinois about 20 years ago this fall. Spent 4 years in Florida which was miserable, Then a year in Northern Wisconsin before a 12 year stint in Northwestern Montana by Glacier Park. Came back to the Wisconsin Northwoods West of Minocqua 3 years ago. We really thought we would retire in Montana but the Californians have pretty much ruined the state. Bare land is 4-5X what it cost here and general housing in Montana is TRIPLE what i paid here for comparable housing. Property taxes are half here too. Auto insurance went from $7,800 for my business to $2,450 here in Wisconsin for the same business. We are hoping to retire in about 12 years.........

Old 10-23-2019, 08:03 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,748,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstef View Post
I left HELLinois about 20 years ago this fall. Spent 4 years in Florida which was miserable, Then a year in Northern Wisconsin before a 12 year stint in Northwestern Montana by Glacier Park. Came back to the Wisconsin Northwoods West of Minocqua 3 years ago. We really thought we would retire in Montana but the Californians have pretty much ruined the state. Bare land is 4-5X what it cost here and general housing in Montana is TRIPLE what i paid here for comparable housing. Property taxes are half here too. Auto insurance went from $7,800 for my business to $2,450 here in Wisconsin for the same business. We are hoping to retire in about 12 years.........
Interesting that your tax situation is that much better. I've always thought of Wisconsin as a high-tax state, but I think a lot of that is where you are in WI, and what you're comparing it to.
Montana would have been on my short list of favorite places to consider before California's mass exodus. They're doing similar things to the Ozarks in that it's a lot more expensive than it used to be and natives are being priced out, or at least having a much harder time than they would have otherwise. The effect is just not as extreme....yet.

Old 10-23-2019, 08:58 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,247,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Interesting that your tax situation is that much better. I've always thought of Wisconsin as a high-tax state, but I think a lot of that is where you are in WI, and what you're comparing it to.
Montana would have been on my short list of favorite places to consider before California's mass exodus. They're doing similar things to the Ozarks in that it's a lot more expensive than it used to be and natives are being priced out, or at least having a much harder time than they would have otherwise. The effect is just not as extreme....yet.
Keep in mind the person you replied to lives in the boonies, in a part of the state that is tourist driven with low full time population and little infrastructure to support. If he was in pricier parts of SE WI, Montana might not seem so bad.

Old 10-23-2019, 02:57 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,748,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Keep in mind the person you replied to lives in the boonies, in a part of the state that is tourist driven with low full time population and little infrastructure to support. If he was in pricier parts of SE WI, Montana might not seem so bad.
Yeah, possibly. I will note that from what I've found, there are several decent-sized towns that are quite a bit cheaper than Milwaukee and Madison, especially with things like property taxes where they can be less than half of those places.

Old 11-03-2019, 09:03 AM

111 posts, read 74,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
And what are the pros and cons of Wisconsin versus those of your former state (or country)? Also, please be specific as to what town you moved to and what town you moved from. Also, in what ways did it exceed or fall short of your expectations? And how long have you lived in Wisconsin?

In short, I am asking for your personal stories and experiences regarding your retirement to Wisconsin, if you would like to share (of course).

Thanks in advance!
Four seasons, nicer people. Moved from San Diego when we retired. Wife is from the Dells area so lots of family and friends to spend time with. Bought a nice chunk of land outside of Reedsburg and built a home for what we sold our home for in San Diego Close enough to Madison for serious ailment medical care, larger need shopping and an easy access airport. Close to the Dells for some really great restaurants like Dell Bar and Fields, plus a legit Movie Theater At Kalahari. Close enough to Baraboo for regular needs to live like car service, Manards (Dells also has a Home Depot), great Hospital, groceries etc... Far enough from the big city to enjoy peace and quiet plus the great outdoors. Close enough to beautiful areas like door county.

Last edited by Badger09; 11-03-2019 at 09:12 AM..

Old 11-03-2019, 10:52 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger09 View Post
Four seasons, nicer people. Moved from San Diego when we retired. Wife is from the Dells area so lots of family and friends to spend time with. Bought a nice chunk of land outside of Reedsburg and built a home for what we sold our home for in San Diego Close enough to Madison for serious ailment medical care, larger need shopping and an easy access airport. Close to the Dells for some really great restaurants like Dell Bar and Fields, plus a legit Movie Theater At Kalahari. Close enough to Baraboo for regular needs to live like car service, Manards (Dells also has a Home Depot), great Hospital, groceries etc... Far enough from the big city to enjoy peace and quiet plus the great outdoors. Close enough to beautiful areas like door county.
Nice. I have a good friend on CTH S outside of Reedsburg. Nice acreage. Lovely area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin