U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 09:39 AM

2,401 posts, read 927,268 times

Advertisements

Milwaukee City, I think that is a tough call when referencing race. It is all dependent on the individual. For a time in my life, race WAS important. As what might be termed "bi-racial" person myself (Mexican descent and Croatian descent) even as an adult I will hear people ask me, "soooo, what ARE you?" And that can be taken a bit pushy and awkwardly, especially when you are younger and hear it all the time growing up. And THEN, there was a time as a teen when I bought into the whole Mexican vs. Puerto Rican "thing" that seems to exist, especially in bigger cities in the Midwest, where there are probably higher concentrations of both groups in the same city... As I became older, more open-minded, educated, and working in social work with people of such diverse backgrounds, I put that all behind me. As a parent, I make sure my children's self-esteem is developed to NOT internalize such comments and attitudes that may exist around them...Ultimately, I agree with you, Milwaukee City, that race should NOT matter. The diversity of people is a beautiful thing! And I do agree we should recognize the VALUE of others' choices in religion, clothing, foods, etc. However, I do NOT feel we need to focus on things if it makes us feel so SEPARATED, to the point we can not accept others... Perhaps Mr. eriChoi experienced some of the things I mentioned earlier? Well, we shall look forward to his response. Sincerely, Master Jay in Milwaukee
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2019, 03:12 PM

482 posts, read 298,592 times
I am sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree with people telling the OP that he/she "has nothing to worry about" and should not be worrying about race. I know I don't speak for all POC, but race (whether we like it or not) does tend to play a chief role in a transition to another geographical location when you're a POC. It is really easy to deny that racism is one of the core attributes of our society when you don't have to experience it.

I know Milwaukee City means well and is a good person based on my past conversations with him. However, I have to beg to differ on his claim that "99% of people" don't see things through the lens of race. I am a firm believer that even lots of well-meaning people have implicit biases which they don't confront and may act on unconsciously. I believe that inquiring about racism against Asians in Wisconsin is valid because minorities in this country experience it everyday. It is easy to stay comfortable in a society that favors you, but that merely sets people like the OP up for potential danger, in my opinion.

My advice: I think you'll be fine, for the most part. I am a very dark-complexted man who now lives in Madison, and I rarely have issues. A mob isn't going to come up to you and threaten your life out of town. While racism exists in Madison and elsewhere in the country, you have the willpower to make the best of your experience ANYWHERE in this country. I can't assure you that you won't be a victim of hate and bias incidents because I hear about them a lot at the UW campus. From what I know, though, UW is very proactive about tackling hate/bias incidents. Your feelings are valid. Every human feeling is valid and shouldn't be invalidated.

If this helps, here's an article about it: https://badgerherald.com/features/20...riences-at-uw/

Last edited by InnovativeAmerican; 10-18-2019 at 03:29 PM..

Old 10-18-2019, 05:18 PM

10,186 posts, read 8,974,097 times
IMHO, people here, like most places don't like slackers who suck off the govt. Race doesn't matter much at all.

Old 10-18-2019, 10:18 PM

3,718 posts, read 2,841,655 times
You're about as safe as you can get inside of the university system. Being Asian also helps. It's not like you're a black person who even in 2019 still get harassed by police & followed around stores simply for the color of their skin.

Also, Madison takes racism seriously for the most part.

City of Madison declares racism a public health crisis

Old 10-18-2019, 10:42 PM

4,526 posts, read 1,007,591 times
It’s not like you’re going to some non-white dangerous ‘hood. Relax. Based on hate crime rates whites are far from the most violent racists. USDOJ, FBISTATS.

Old 10-18-2019, 10:42 PM

482 posts, read 298,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
You're about as safe as you can get inside of the university system. Being Asian also helps. It's not like you're a black person who even in 2019 still get harassed by police & followed around stores simply for the color of their skin.

Also, Madison takes racism seriously for the most part.

City of Madison declares racism a public health crisis
As a black person, I agree 100%. And Asian Americans already get the "model minority" distinction, so I guess the OP really doesn't have much to worry about, especially at UW. Blacks and Hispanics have more to worry about in terms of their safety.

Plus, university systems are generally very progressive and don't always mirror the real world.

Old 10-23-2020, 09:33 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,900,513 times
We don't tolerate here two things - racism and non-wisconsin-born outsiders, especially with darker skin color.

That was a joke though We hate people of all colors equally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin