U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 02:51 AM

45 posts, read 19,474 times

Advertisements

I hope to transfer to UW-Madison for the fall semester of 2020.
I have never been to Wisconsin in my life, so I am sort of worried about racism there.

Do people in Wisconsin abhor Asians? If so, by and large, do they actually exhibit their uncomfortable feelings towards Asians in public places?

I want to be compatible with them
I love Americans.. including the racists...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2019, 03:01 AM

6,210 posts, read 2,462,502 times
Asians are a staple feature at most major American universities. You'll be fine.

Judging by your post history your race is the least of your issues.

Old 10-15-2019, 06:14 AM

2,335 posts, read 911,574 times
eriChoi ssi, han guk salam imnikka? (forgive me for asking, but I have been a part of the Korean community for half my life, and I recognize Choi as one of the more well known Korean names). Madison has a relatively established Korean student population that has grown over the last 2 decades.... Discrimination, towards any group, can exist anywhere. As a Wisconsinite, I can not recall in my experiences hearing of much acts of prejudice towards east Asian groups in the last 20 years. (But remember, those are just MY experiences. I am only ONE Wisconsinite).... I'm intrigued at Bitey's comment: do you have OTHER things to be concerned about? Apparently past posts have come to mind, in Bitey's readings... Please feel free to expand on this notion, if you'd like. To ALL, I wish: An nyong hi kye se you (Korean for, literally: Stay in peace)- Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 10-16-2019, 04:54 PM

8,153 posts, read 20,697,147 times
There are Asians everywhere in Wisconsin, you won't have a problem. I see plenty of them when I go fishing or hunting and we never had an issue with any of them and a few of my Asian never expressed any incidents to me. There are a lot of people from Laos and a lot of Hmong's and the best Nepalese restaurant in the city is in Mequon/Thiensville.

Old 10-16-2019, 11:54 PM

13,131 posts, read 8,124,722 times
I wouldn't worry about that at all. One of my uncles came from Taiwan to study at Wisconsin for graduate school in the early 1970s, and he had no problems back then, enjoyed his life there. Madison is pretty used to hosting a lot of international students. You'll like it there.

On Wisconsin!

Old 10-17-2019, 07:53 PM

482 posts, read 297,489 times
I wouldn't ask non-POC about how prevalent racism is in WI. They're going to say "No" regardless.

With that being said, WI is no more or less racist than any other state in America. It is a national problem. In general, I'm sure you're aware that Asians do face slightly better treatment African Americans due to their reputation of being the "model minority" (a term coined by U.S. sociologists). You should be fine anywhere, to be honest, especially if you're middle-class and college-educated.

Old 10-17-2019, 08:06 PM

2,973 posts, read 1,222,452 times
Madison is a very liberal town. You won’t have any problems. I spent half my life in Wisconsin.

Old 10-17-2019, 08:08 PM

8,153 posts, read 20,697,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InnovativeAmerican View Post
I wouldn't ask non-POC about how prevalent racism is in WI. They're going to say "No" regardless.

With that being said, WI is no more or less racist than any other state in America. It is a national problem. In general, I'm sure you're aware that Asians do face slightly better treatment African Americans due to their reputation of being the "model minority" (a term coined by U.S. sociologists). You should be fine anywhere, to be honest.
Most people don't notice race, don't care, don't talk about it, why would we? we're too busy living our lives to worry about skin color or hair color or eye color or tattoos or spacers or anything else. I worry much more about gas prices and whether the Bucks will make the Finals than something as trivial as race.

But for some people that's all they see, they are always talking about it, they are always noticing it when they walk into a store or a bar, for them they won't admit it but their opinion of someone begins with what race they are, as they start with their preconceived notions based solely on color.

BTW isn't it saying something that ALL non-poc's all say... "hey come on in there is no problem here, no racism here you'll be fine". Seems pretty welcoming to me, if we didn't want people of color here would we be so open and welcoming? Honestly 99% of the population doesn't care about race or ethnicity or religion, we have bigger problems of our own to deal on a daily basis to add another thing to worry about. Come one, come all

Old 10-18-2019, 06:21 AM

44,770 posts, read 64,077,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriChoi View Post
I hope to transfer to UW-Madison for the fall semester of 2020.
I have never been to Wisconsin in my life, so I am sort of worried about racism there.

Do people in Wisconsin abhor Asians? If so, by and large, do they actually exhibit their uncomfortable feelings towards Asians in public places?

I want to be compatible with them
I love Americans.. including the racists...

Geez... you need to travel more.
Why don't you visit the University and see it for yourself?

I think you're a bit too obsessed about race. Perhaps your behavior triggers some of the "uncomfortable" feelings in others?
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 10-18-2019, 09:23 AM

2,335 posts, read 911,574 times
eriChoi,... it seems a couple people now have commented that there appears to be a "focus" on race. Is there something to it? If so, that may be something you might want to explore about what is causing it to be such a focus for you. Look forward to hearing from you. Master Jay in Milwaukee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin