Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2019, 03:10 PM

39 posts, read 80,428 times

Advertisements

Well for starters, I was familiar with Sheboygan 30yrs ago but I have recently gone back and it has changed quite a bit, well so had Manitowoc for that matter.

They are both on my radar for places to live, I do have fond memories of Sheboygan but the rents/housing has gone up terribly due to the downtown expanding. Seems like the place to be, esp if you want to be in a walkable area like I do.

This brings me to Manitowoc, a city I really never explored or had on my radar until I saw the very cheap cost of living and really the downtown isn't booming like Sheboygan is, it is still a very nice area.

Guess I would just like to hear opinions from both Sheboygan residents, and Manitowoc residents as to there thoughts on the places.

I am a senior in retirement just looking to find a nice place with washer/dryer and a garage in a walkable area.

Any thoughts for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2019, 05:48 PM

8,275 posts, read 22,985,270 times
As just a passer througher, I found Manitowoc better looking. Don't know if that holds true but Sheboygan seems to be more trashy, I know bad way to describe an area. That being said the area to the west of Sheboygan seems really nice, Kohler Sheboygan Falls, Plymouth. I just like Manitowoc's feel and housing stock more than Sheboygan.

Old 11-27-2019, 07:28 AM

737 posts, read 821,164 times
I live in the Point Beach area, about 7 miles north of Two Rivers. In the past couple years the price of housing has shot straight up. My realtor friend said many houses are selling in a day. There are many FB groups you could look into for a better feel for an apartment or condo.

Both Manitowoc and TR are very walkable. There is a beautiful bike trail connecting the 2 cities and beyond. Good luck!

Old 11-28-2019, 07:16 AM

883 posts, read 643,921 times
My sister lives in Plymouth. It is a great town. I love visiting there.

Old 11-28-2019, 10:17 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,666,573 times
That whole area is nice.
Sheboygan has a really nice downtown, but the prices can be a bit high with all the new stuff coming in.
Older buildings and houses can be more affordable. Some areas are more desirable, of course, but all in all Sheboygan's a pretty cool town that's walkable and even has a pretty decent bus system. It's bigger so there will be a little more of everything: nice neighborhoods and areas that aren't as desirable. It's more nice than not.

I like Two Rivers a lot. Laid back and sleepy. The north side seems cleaner and more desirable than the south, but I wouldn't say it has any bad areas. The downtown is small but kinda neat and it has one of my favorite beaches in Wisconsin. We've camped at Point Beach state park nearby a few times and I could easily see myself retiring in a place like that if I don't need the benefits of a larger city. Houses move fast there, but it's still very affordable.

Manitowoc is alright too. Downtown isn't as nice as the others in my opinion. It's more hit and miss, but it seems to a lot of potential and it shows signs of an upswing.
The difference is, Sheboygan is big enough to have more amenities, small enough to be manageable, and is that much closer to Milwaukee.
Two Rivers is small enough to be like Mayberry, and the good thing about Manitowoc is that it does provide a lot of the basic stuff for Two Rivers as well since they're adjacent.

Those inland towns like Plymouth and Sheboygan Falls are more uniformly nice, but I like being closer to Lake Michigan.
It is an oddity of Wisconsin that lakefront communities aren't automatically the most desirable. Good thing is, it's cheap enough for those of us who aren't particularly wealthy.

Old 12-01-2019, 03:52 PM

39 posts, read 80,428 times
Thank you so much everyone for your responses.

I am checking out Manitowoc/Two Rivers online and it seems funny to me that they have their own entities. I always thought it was one city since they are so close together and you can hardly tell when you leave one and enter another......lol.

Old 12-01-2019, 04:36 PM

8,275 posts, read 22,985,270 times
I love it how the locals up there refer to it as "Trivers"..haha.

Old 12-03-2019, 10:44 AM

737 posts, read 821,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAN'TSITSTILL View Post
Thank you so much everyone for your responses.

I am checking out Manitowoc/Two Rivers online and it seems funny to me that they have their own entities. I always thought it was one city since they are so close together and you can hardly tell when you leave one and enter another......lol.
Another thing I like about the area is each city has a beautiful library and are less than one hour from 2 airports. Manitowoc has a lively performing arts center (Capitol Civic Center).

Feel free to message me if you need any more info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin