Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 05:34 AM

66 posts, read 61,427 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My husband and I are originally from Northeast Wisconsin. We moved to Southwest Florida in 2013 and we are now wanting to move back to be closer to family. We are looking to move near the Appleton or Green Bay area. We have a daughter who will be 1 1/2 years old when we move. My primary questions are: how different is the Fox Valley vs Northeast WI in terms of weather/climate? Since we have a daughter, which school districts are best? I am also a teacher, how is the pay? Is the area community friendly? Right now where we live there is a serious lack in community. Also, it is 90+ degrees from May through October and sometimes even longer. We don't want to live in an "endless summer" anymore. We were both born and raised in WI so we know it can get cold and how to live in the cold. Any advice or knowledge about the above questions would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2020, 11:20 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,484,983 times
I'm just familiar with SE Wisconsin--south of Milwaukee. Our company in Racine is staffed with employees mostly living in Northern Illinois. The property taxes in that state are deadly expensive. They tried to transfer employees from Atlanta and Dallas, however not a single employee would consider moving there.

It's a state with Cadillac schools and Mercedes prisons. So as a school teacher, you may be paid well.

As a southerner, weather is important to the quality of life. And a week in Jamestown, ND in January taught me where not to move.

Old 04-26-2020, 02:59 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,842,440 times
We live 20 miles outside Appleton. We ourselves just moved back after being gone from the state for 30 years. We have enjoyed every day since we got back. People are much more friendly. Jobs were great until Covid19. Winter was not near as bad as I remember as a kid. The medical care we have had so far has been excellent. Teacher pay, from what I know has always been pretty good, compared to southern states. The big bonus is that the cost of living is pretty low, in general, although a newer house will be pricey.

We lived most of the last 30 years in Tx, Az, and NC. We know about endless summer so I know what you're talking about.

A few recommendations. Green Bay has more crime than you'd probably want, but Appleton has some also. I'd recommend Appleton of the two.

My first recommendation though would be closer to Stevens Point. We met some great people and the rural atmosphere is very friendly and there is a lot going on. I also think further from L. Michigan is a little warmer and somewhat less cloudy.

PM if you need more specific questions answered.

Old 04-26-2020, 11:00 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,674,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
I'm just familiar with SE Wisconsin--south of Milwaukee. Our company in Racine is staffed with employees mostly living in Northern Illinois. The property taxes in that state are deadly expensive. They tried to transfer employees from Atlanta and Dallas, however not a single employee would consider moving there.

It's a state with Cadillac schools and Mercedes prisons. So as a school teacher, you may be paid well.

As a southerner, weather is important to the quality of life. And a week in Jamestown, ND in January taught me where not to move.
Property taxes in WI probably aren't drastically different than in IL, but neither are any worse than property taxes in Texas. Cost of living in Wisconsin otherwise is pretty reasonable. It often is dirt cheap depending on where you're at.
If people didn't want to transfer away from Dallas or Atlanta, it most likely had nothing at all to do with cost of living. Instead, weather and ignorant stereotypes probably were the actual factors.
Also, Wisconsin is cold, but it isn't exactly North Dakota, especially in the southern and eastern parts of the state. The cooler weather isn't so bad. Actually, it's kind of refreshing when compared to Dallas and Atlanta.

Old 04-27-2020, 08:20 AM

886 posts, read 646,831 times
I live close to Stevens Point and can vouch it is a nice community with good schools. Wisconsin is desperate for teachers so finding work should not be an issue.
Winters can be tough and other years not so bad. We moved from Chicago and our property taxes are lower for what we get.
Appleton is better then Green Bay. I know Kaukana is a nice place not to far from Appleton. New London is also nice. We like to shop in Appleton. Lots of variety.

Old 04-27-2020, 09:10 AM

4,615 posts, read 3,160,983 times
EllieKay56, good morning. I agree with you, I AM a fan of Appleton. I used to go there 4 times a year, because I had a Tae Kwon Do business partner up there that I helped with his class.

The couple of malls I've shopped at were pleasant. And I remember I bought a book on the Chicago Mafia in Pages and Pipes book store!

Nice selection of restaurants. Appleton has Koreana which is one of several Korean restaurants in the STATE of Wisconsin. Which is so unlike when I go to Chicago, and you can find several Korean restaurants on A BLOCK, alone!

Old 05-02-2020, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
We live 20 miles outside Appleton. We ourselves just moved back after being gone from the state for 30 years. We have enjoyed every day since we got back. People are much more friendly. Jobs were great until Covid19. Winter was not near as bad as I remember as a kid. The medical care we have had so far has been excellent. Teacher pay, from what I know has always been pretty good, compared to southern states. The big bonus is that the cost of living is pretty low, in general, although a newer house will be pricey.

We lived most of the last 30 years in Tx, Az, and NC. We know about endless summer so I know what you're talking about.

A few recommendations. Green Bay has more crime than you'd probably want, but Appleton has some also. I'd recommend Appleton of the two.

My first recommendation though would be closer to Stevens Point. We met some great people and the rural atmosphere is very friendly and there is a lot going on. I also think further from L. Michigan is a little warmer and somewhat less cloudy.

PM if you need more specific questions answered.
Thank you for the great information! We both lived in WI until we were 20 so I remember the winters very well. My biggest concerns are how the Appleton area is far as family friendly and the pay rate for teachers. I went to UWSP so I know that area well too, it is a nice area but it is a little far from our family. That's why we aren't moving to that area.

Old 05-02-2020, 07:25 AM

Hi all, thanks for the great info! I was looking more for how the weather compares to Northeast WI. We were both born and raised in Northeast WI (60ish miles north of Green Bay). If you had to choose an area around Appleton would you choose one of the towns surrounding Appleton or Appleton itself?

Old 05-03-2020, 08:49 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,898,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amd2357 View Post
Hi all, thanks for the great info! I was looking more for how the weather compares to Northeast WI. We were both born and raised in Northeast WI (60ish miles north of Green Bay). If you had to choose an area around Appleton would you choose one of the towns surrounding Appleton or Appleton itself?
do you want older homes/"charm"/walkability or do you prefer something more suburban?

Old 05-04-2020, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
do you want older homes/"charm"/walkability or do you prefer something more suburban?
Suburban would probably be more ideal for us. We like to be outdoors and have parks to go to, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin