Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 07:22 AM

426 posts, read 1,736,271 times

Advertisements

I don't think if I moved back to Wisconsin from Colorado that I'd realize what I missed, except perhaps affording a decent studio apartment for under $1,200/m. I've talked to a lot of Wisconsin transplants and very few of them rip on Wisconsin for being "boring" or "ugly" or any of that. Time and time again, the reason they are happy to be out, and the reason they hardly if ever go back, is the same: The people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 10:40 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,772,369 times
Wisconsin is a strange state. First there is Appleton which is a far right wing community, the national headquarters of the John Birch Society. Then, not far away is Madison which is a far left, liberal college community. Then if you go to the far southwest there is Boscu bel which is the home of the Gideaons. They are the people that put the bibles in motel rooms. If you go to central WI your in redneck territory that is like any southern redneck country. If you go north of highway 29 the people are super independent and no one tells them how to live. When the anti smoking laws came out of Madison the people north of 29 went on smoking where-ever they damn pleased. And there is more.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:09 AM

2,661 posts, read 3,858,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
Wisconsin is a strange state. First there is Appleton which is a far right wing community, the national headquarters of the John Birch Society. Then, not far away is Madison which is a far left, liberal college community. Then if you go to the far southwest there is Boscu bel which is the home of the Gideaons. They are the people that put the bibles in motel rooms. If you go to central WI your in redneck territory that is like any southern redneck country. If you go north of highway 29 the people are super independent and no one tells them how to live. When the anti smoking laws came out of Madison the people north of 29 went on smoking where-ever they damn pleased. And there is more.

That's what makes it a fun and interesting place. Longer I am away, the more I realize how nice the place is - including the people. If they could just make the damn winters go away - bring on global warming!!

Old 09-08-2017, 05:43 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
That's what makes it a fun and interesting place. Longer I am away, the more I realize how nice the place is - including the people. If they could just make the damn winters go away - bring on global warming!!
Winter is one of the best aspects of the state, keeping down population growth. I'm up in Vilas County every winter, much nicer without the summer crowds.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:56 AM

32 posts, read 53,225 times
Cheesecurds, Beer, Boobs and Bobsleds!

That's what my 14 yo (11 at the time) noticed the first full day in WI. He had Cheesecurds during lunch. On the way to school (8am) the bar was open and people were inside drinking beer. Boobs, well that's for another forum, but his Uncle had some explaining to do. They were sharing a room when we first moved up. Sleds & Snow finished his wonderful day. All I can do when I look back is ask him over and over how awesome that day was because He still says it was his favorite in his life up to this point.

Sorry if it seems crass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin