Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 02:26 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,887,186 times

Advertisements

Perhaps the authorities do have an inkling these deaths aren't accidental, but want to appear like they don't, just to increase the odds of catching the killer. Just a thought. Or maybe I've seen too many crime dramas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 03:26 PM

409 posts, read 1,500,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
Perhaps the authorities do have an inkling these deaths aren't accidental, but want to appear like they don't, just to increase the odds of catching the killer. Just a thought. Or maybe I've seen too many crime dramas.
In cities like Eau Claire and La Crosse where there is almost no crime, telling people that there is a possible serial killer on the loose would probably create mass panic. Especially to those people that have never lived outside EC and LAX and have never had to deal with a lot of random acts of violence.

Old 05-02-2008, 05:39 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,076,115 times
As to why they haven't been identified as murder, you must keep in mind that, unlike tv, these small communities do NOT have CSI units or even medical examiners. What they have is usually coroners who almost never have much medical experience. I know that is hard to believe when what we see on tv would suggest that there are these scientific units examining every death. Not so. I could tell you stories you would not believe about the "findings" of small town coroners. The most medical experience I have heard of a coroner in these small communities having was when one of them was a nurse.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:31 PM

63 posts, read 226,218 times
I know in La Crosse and the rest of Western Wisconsin/Southern Eastern Minnesota when ever there is murder(which is rare) the body is sent to a medical examiners office in Hastings. I assume Hastings gets many cases from the cities as well. I know for a fact, that the bodies of those who drowned were sent there. Also, the FBI has looked over the incidents in La Crosse to see if the techniques the police used were a detailed and valid. The FBI issued a report with findings that there seemed to be no problems with the police investigation.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:28 PM
LML

Quote:
Originally Posted by huggybear28 View Post
I know in La Crosse and the rest of Western Wisconsin/Southern Eastern Minnesota when ever there is murder(which is rare) the body is sent to a medical examiners office in Hastings. I assume Hastings gets many cases from the cities as well. I know for a fact, that the bodies of those who drowned were sent there. Also, the FBI has looked over the incidents in La Crosse to see if the techniques the police used were a detailed and valid. The FBI issued a report with findings that there seemed to be no problems with the police investigation.

Could you please cite your sources for these statements?

Old 05-02-2008, 11:34 PM

My source, the La Crosse Tribune, I have read for the last 10 years and even still living away from La Crosse still read it. Here are various articles from the archives.
If you type in "river drownings" you get over 7000 results.

Can I use links to a newspaper? Or is this against the terms of use?
Body found in river : La Crosse Tribune (http://www.lacrossetribune.com/articles/2004/06/06/news/01body6-06.txt - broken link)
Milwaukee man drowns after falling off Cass Street Bridge : La Crosse Tribune (http://www.lacrossetribune.com/articles/2007/10/01/news/00lead.txt - broken link)
Drowned student's alcohol level four times legal limit : La Crosse Tribune (http://www.lacrossetribune.com/articles/2006/10/05/news/00lead.txt - broken link)
Autopsy: UW-L student drowned; no foul play : La Crosse Tribune (http://www.lacrossetribune.com/articles/2004/04/16/news/00lead.txt - broken link)
These have various topics from one showing that the medical examiner transports bodies to Hastings while the others get into more details about the drownings.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:47 AM
LML

Thank you. I appreciate the links. After reading the information contained, I am inclined to think it may well just be drownings brought about by excessive alcohol consumption. There is still a bit of doubt in my mind but not as much as was there before.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:25 AM

I agree. I still do not think they can rule out the idea of a serial killer, but all 8 of those who have drowned have been pretty drunk. If you have been down by Riverside park before the river current is very swift. Even a sober person would have a hard time swimming in that water. Hopefully adding operation river watch, where students patrol the park with added help from the police, and adding the barriers to prevent people from walking straight into the river from the levee will help. Although there still are the cases every year where someone falls off the bluffs because they were drinking. Usually these people are underage and know they can go up into the bluffs and not get caught as the police do not have enough resources to search he bluffs which line the whole east side of the city. You can find these old articles on the La Crosse Tribune's website if you want to get more details.

I also worked at one of the Hospitals in town for awhile and at our orientation they told us that La Crosse county has one of the highest alcohol intoxication rates in the US. It also has one of the highest divorce rates in the state. If you go to either hospital any time early in he morning there usually is someone in the ER who is there due to over consumption of alcohol. Sorry, I don't have links for these, but these stories really do show this is not just a drowning problem. La Crosse clearly has a drinking problem.

Old 05-03-2008, 02:00 PM
LML

Quote:
Originally Posted by huggybear28 View Post
I agree.
I also worked at one of the Hospitals in town for awhile and at our orientation they told us that La Crosse county has one of the highest alcohol intoxication rates in the US. It also has one of the highest divorce rates in the state. If you go to either hospital any time early in he morning there usually is someone in the ER who is there due to over consumption of alcohol. Sorry, I don't have links for these, but these stories really do show this is not just a drowning problem. La Crosse clearly has a drinking problem.
I have never understood why, when life is so short, people choose to spend so much of it semi-conscious.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:52 AM

3 posts, read 11,573 times
im going with accidental deaths. no serial killer though theres alot of crazy people in Wisconsin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin