Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2020, 06:20 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,314,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapper Zoom View Post
Why 7?

Why not? Empty your clip and make sure the perp is dead or disabled as soon as possible. Anything else would have been a foolish move by the officer.
Not necessarily. Enough of these incidents have happened over the years to tell us (and the police) that similar shootings of Black men stoke national outrage and escalate violence between police and civilians. I thought police were informed of this situation and trained to deal with it more effectively.

It's possible that the officer felt himself in imminent danger, so had to act, but most officers are capable of disabling a perp with just one shot. I wonder if the first shot or two came from him as a police officer, and then the other shots fired came from him as an angry, defeated, disgusted, overworked, and overwhelmed person. He couldn't subdue Blake in a physical tangle, and he couldn't subdue him with a taser, so either he did his duty and fired 7 legitimate times under justifiable conditions, or he (over)stepped away from his role and settled his personal score with Blake while on the job. Did the officer act out of his sworn oath to protect and serve, or did he just become another angry man with a gun and a vendetta?

We all get emotional on the job, and police more so than most others, but whatever the perp's attitude or record or whatever may have been, it isn't the police's job to act as judge and jury, if that is in fact what happened here. We have a court system for that.

Anyhow, speculation and armchair investigation are privileged pursuits for us, but ultimately, aren't we all supposed to wait for the "official reports" before making Big Judgments about the incident?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2020, 07:20 AM

380 posts, read 125,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Lol, what is this, the 3rd attempt here to write about the Jacob Blake incident before the racist comments are noticed & it's shut down?

I talked to my black brother-in-law today which was kinda eye opening since he sees the whole Kenosha thing through different eyes than I could. He said it's infuriating that white people blame black people or protestors for all that's going on, yet 4 people have been shot or killed in Kenosha . . . all by white men with guns. So who is the problem here?
Yeah, and the shootings were all justifiable. Try again.

Ask your brother-in-law why he defends violent criminals.

Old 08-30-2020, 09:20 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL6X6OYN4fg

Old 08-30-2020, 10:00 PM

830 posts, read 486,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empidonax View Post
Not necessarily. Enough of these incidents have happened over the years to tell us (and the police) that similar shootings of Black men stoke national outrage and escalate violence between police and civilians. I thought police were informed of this situation and trained to deal with it more effectively.

It's possible that the officer felt himself in imminent danger, so had to act, but most officers are capable of disabling a perp with just one shot.
He almost certainly felt himself in imminent danger, and very reasonably so. They were in close quarters, so one shot may not have been enough. Much better to overdo it than to underdo it when your own life in on the line. Empty your clip into the perp without thinking of deliberating.

Quote:
Anyhow, speculation and armchair investigation are privileged pursuits for us, but ultimately, aren't we all supposed to wait for the "official reports" before making Big Judgments about the incident?
This is true in almost all of these cases, especially with the media struggling so hard to promote a certain narrative. We are of course speaking and investigating with incomplete information. But the videos in the Jacob Blake case make several things very clear - he was not complying, and he seemed very determined to enter the front of the car for some reason. We'll likely never know what the reason was, but the most reasonable speculation by the officer was probably that it was to retrieve some sort of weapon.

Old 08-31-2020, 04:43 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,760,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by devdaen View Post

What they've already determined on camera is he was about to get shot by another gun carrier and fired upon them. So sorry to tell ya indeed that's called self defense. Now why he was motivated to carry a rifle is something that will have to come out in interviews for his trial. My guess is he may well have been going there to protect property as was said. There were plenty of gun carriers on that "other" side so few were innocent to say the least. It's hard to deny that if Jacob just stopped and allowed the officers to detain him as he had a warrant out for his arrest, there would have been NO harm. But nooooooo he just had to put up a major fuss as virtually ALL of the African American's shot over this last year were examples of. How you can argue with that is beyond sensibility. You simply do NOT incite an officer when you are stopped or questioned. It's pure and simple sensible behavior and one the blacks don't care for it seems.

Old 08-31-2020, 06:30 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj0mtxXEGE8

Old 08-31-2020, 07:28 PM

4,667 posts, read 3,863,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by devdaen View Post
I'm not sure how you justify 7 shots to the back when 1 would have been more than enough. Also, try explaining to the court why there were 3 cops there, yet they couldn't overpower him as a group. Lol. Whatever happened to hitting someone over the head with a baton? The police know Jacob Blake & know where he lives, so if there actually was a struggle, why not let him go & arrest him later? Why so quick to reach for the trigger? That's the question everybody wants to know. That's why people are protesting.
There would be no protests in Kenosha right now if the cops handled this better.

Quote:
He doesn't, but I want to know how you came up with the thought he does.

Old 09-01-2020, 05:02 AM

4,641 posts, read 3,252,251 times
everwinter, you do raise some question I have had.

While working in the jail, a man punched a Correctional Officer in the face. 2 guards took the man to the ground, but he was still struggling. I, as a Social Worker and way out of my job description, volunteered to immobilize his legs...

And yet 2 or 3 Police Officers could not stop this one man?.. And then tasing him didn't work, neither? Is the guy Superman or on some high form of drugs? I doubt he is a superman, so what did the toxicology report reveal?

I understand that during the heat the police force is feeling as we are still seeing and feeling the George Floyd impact, that perhaps the officers did try their best NOT to let it go to a lethal situation.

But then they shoot the man up close with 7 bullets and he lives?!?... Ok, maybe he IS superman!!!!

Old 09-01-2020, 09:00 AM

764 posts, read 392,182 times
Trump is going to Kenosha today. He said his visit will bring love and respect for our country. This is despite the governor saying he is not welcome.

Old 09-01-2020, 11:32 AM

2,661 posts, read 3,859,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyfl View Post
Trump is going to Kenosha today. He said his visit will bring love and respect for our country. This is despite the governor saying he is not welcome.
It's good politics and this is an election year.

It's likely a winning strategy to get the "undecided middle" in an important swing state to move in his direction. Time will tell I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin