U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2020, 03:27 PM

14 posts, read 61,149 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am researching these cities and the areas near them, between the Lake Michigan shore and up to 70 miles west... From Milwaukee in the south and to Green Bay in the north. I broke up my questions into 2 parts:

A- How much of an impact does Lake Michigan have on these areas?

1- Is it more humid there than, say western or southern WI?
2- Is it more cloudy?
3- Is it more windy?
4- Do they get more snow due to the lake effect?
5- Does freezing start later?
6- Does spring get delayed starting later?

B-
1- How is it different being right on the shore like Milwaukee, Sheboygan, and Manitowoc vs. being west like Fond du Lac, Appleton, Berlin, Beaver dam, Oshkosh, Water town

2-Does the lake effect extend or impact Madison?

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2020, 09:12 AM

596 posts, read 477,517 times
I live right on the shore of Lake Michigan, just to the north of Point Beach and I love it here.

Not sure if it is anymore humid, windy or cloudy than the areas you mentioned. Since I am out on one of the easternmost points, we sometimes have a lake effect snow. Some winters there are none of that though. It tends to stay a few degrees warmer than inland in the winter, so when snowfalls inland are near the freezing mark, we are sometimes missed.

Freezing does start a bit later and spring gets delayed by about 2 weeks each.

It is not uncommon in early summer to drive from my house inland and see a 15 to 20 degree difference. Due to prevailing westerly winds, we have an upwelling effect from the cold waters.

I do know that we have many more sunny days in the winter than the eastern shoreline of the lake.

Hope this helps

Old 09-10-2020, 06:15 PM
sub

2,768 posts, read 1,198,620 times
^^Point Beach is one of the best places to escape whatever summer heat there is in those parts. Always a bit cooler than surrounding areas.
I like pretty much all of Wisconsin but if choosing a place to live strictly based on weather, right up against Lake Michigan would be my top choice.

Old 09-16-2020, 05:08 AM

4,753 posts, read 2,007,089 times
This map says it better than we can with words: https://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/....gov/PHZMWeb/#

Note that most of the Bing cherries, for instance, that you buy in the store come from Door County, surrounded by L. Mich....We can't grow them 200 miles south in Juneau County, 90 miles west of The Lake.

Old 09-16-2020, 09:25 AM

22,243 posts, read 38,828,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
^^Point Beach is one of the best places to escape whatever summer heat there is in those parts. Always a bit cooler than surrounding areas.
I like pretty much all of Wisconsin but if choosing a place to live strictly based on weather, right up against Lake Michigan would be my top choice.
It wouldn't be my first choice, mainly because it isn't snowy enough or (dry) cold enough in the winter. I would prefer the Snowbelt of Vilas County lakes region over Lake Michigan any day during all seasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin