U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 05:42 PM

27 posts, read 45,218 times

Advertisements

Hi
We moved to the Milwaukee area last year from Kansas. They actually know how to clear roads here , unlike Kansas. We love it here. Where are you from in Kansas? Winter can be vastly different from east to west.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2020, 09:30 AM

22,191 posts, read 38,732,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwood1964 View Post
Hi
We moved to the Milwaukee area last year from Kansas. They actually know how to clear roads here , unlike Kansas. We love it here. Where are you from in Kansas? Winter can be vastly different from east to west.
Kansas has next to zero in common with the most of the actual Midwest in terms of winter weather! I lived in the Madison and Sun Prairie areas for several years before moving elsewhere. I'm from the KC metro area and Johnson County. I left that area when I was younger, never cared for the culture there or large population size.

Old 09-19-2020, 10:17 AM

10,186 posts, read 8,974,097 times
Start a list of the things you will likely need to buy. A good snow shovel. A seriously warm coat good for 0 degrees weather, a warm hat, insulated gloves, some kind of winter boots that go up to mid calf, some sand in your car trunk, jumper cables, probably snow tires, ice scraper for your car windows. I'm sure I left some stuff out, but others could think of some stuff too.

Old 09-19-2020, 08:57 PM

18 posts, read 9,003 times
We will be moving from Stilwell area in Kansas.

Old 09-20-2020, 08:48 AM
sub

2,683 posts, read 1,160,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison19 View Post
We will be moving from Stilwell area in Kansas.
That looks to be on the outskirts of the Kansas City area.
We lived in that region for a while years ago. I remember the places in Johnson County Kansas doing a really good job removing whatever snow they had, at least back then they did. There was an ice storm once that was a doozy, but those didn't happen as frequently as I've seen them happen down south south at least while we were there in the KC area.
Johnson County used to be obsessive about 100% clearance of all streets and roads. Honestly, some places in Wisconsin aren't quite like that. Cul-de-sacs, dead-ends, etc. may or may not not get fully cleared of ice and snow. Nevertheless, it's still different. The attitude is different. It's not a life-crippling event, not a big deal. The vast majority of stuff is fully cleared after snow events and you can go about your life like normal. Occasionally, snow will fully melt away once or twice in the middle of winter, especially in that part of Wisconsin.

Old 09-20-2020, 09:00 AM

18 posts, read 9,003 times
Thanks so much everyone. This forum has been such a great help.

Old 09-20-2020, 01:40 PM

22,191 posts, read 38,732,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison19 View Post
Thanks so much everyone. This forum has been such a great help.
No problem, you'll find lots more to do in Wisconsin compared to Kansas in terms of interesting towns and scenic areas in a relatively short driving distance.

Old 09-20-2020, 06:52 PM

10,186 posts, read 8,974,097 times
Very true there are outdoor activities available 12 months of the year. People in Wis tend to have lots of toys for outdoor activities. ATV's, boats, guns for hunting, snowmobiles,, fishing gear, skiing, you name it. And the best part is that the state is full of places to do all those things and more. Trails for bicycles, atvs, ski hills and a lot of state and county parks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin