U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2020, 12:10 PM

562 posts, read 290,582 times

Advertisements

I know 6 people who had COVID. One is in her upper 60s. I was talking to her at church yesterday and she said she feels fine. My co-worker and her family all had it and they are fine. I am so glad everyone I know has recovered well from this,
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2020, 05:18 PM

590 posts, read 469,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieKay56 View Post
I know 6 people who had COVID. One is in her upper 60s. I was talking to her at church yesterday and she said she feels fine. My co-worker and her family all had it and they are fine. I am so glad everyone I know has recovered well from this,
Kind of what I am hearing and that may be part of the problem. The word has been widely spread that if you get it, you will be just fine. People are going to work and living their lives and managing their own risk to the virus. Too bad so many in my area choose to weaken their immune systems by poor lifestyle choices.

Old 10-12-2020, 05:35 PM

5,405 posts, read 8,512,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
It is honestly an embarrassment that we can't band together as a society to do something as basic and as beneficial as wearing a mask during a pandemic. I understand that some people think Covid "is no big deal," but that doesn't give you the right to become a super spreader and cough on granny at the grocery store.
You've bought into every cliche that has ever been uttered by the main stream media regarding this virus.

#1 wearing a mask is the miracle cure, if we just comply all will OK
#2 people that don't wear a mask are thoughtless and selfish and must want Grandma to die
#3 What is so hard about falling in lockstep with what the main stream media and powers tell you to do? To not follow along, is to be "difficult" and "non-complaint". Get with the program!

We have extended family in Wisconsin. They are not seeing the hospitals overflowing from the "surge" as is broadcast on the nightly news. Wouldn't have anything to do with Wisconsin being such a hotly contested battleground state in the upcoming election, would it? Nah, probably not.

Nothing wrong with wearing a mask if that's what you think is best. I have to comply and wear one at my job. I even wear one into the grocery store, but because they request it, NOT because I believe it's necessary.

Nothing wrong with independent thought and "questioning" the people in charge either.

Old 10-12-2020, 07:33 PM

3,707 posts, read 2,833,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
You have a lot higher chance of dying from numerous other items than from covid-19, the vast people who catch it recover from it, if you are 70 and above have a 5% chance of dying from the virus. The number in the headline shouldn't therefore be how many people get it but how many are in the ICU and then how many have passed away from it.

This is the reason why the shut down is a huge overreaction and a giant over-reach by government to strip people's freedoms and hurt their livelihood.
Using deaths alone is a bad metric. Just because something doesn't kill you doesn't mean you shouldn't take it seriously. Lead poisoning doesn't kill you, but we should still take serious action against it. Some research has already came out about lasting damage to heart tissue as well as myocarditis for people who had Covid. Even those who had mild symptoms.
https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...e-heart-damage

Plus Covid is very odd. Hospital I work at we've seen patients come in from a nursing home in their 90s & not even need admission to ICU. Regular medical floor is sufficient and they discharge back to the nursing home in 48 hours. Then we'll have someone in their mid-60s who was healthy before have to go on high flow oxygen, need proning therapy, & need extended time in the hospital before they are medically stable to go home. It's still bizarre how it hits some, & not others. That's what has a lot of healthcare workers freaked out. How do you know if you'll be one of the asymptomatic ones, or you'll need to be in the ICU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
You've bought into every cliche that has ever been uttered by the main stream media regarding this virus.

We have extended family in Wisconsin. They are not seeing the hospitals overflowing from the "surge" as is broadcast on the nightly news. Wouldn't have anything to do with Wisconsin being such a hotly contested battleground state in the upcoming election, would it? Nah, probably not.
Really? Then how come a new 530 bed field hospital is opening up in 2 days due to hospitals in the state (Green Bay area, Fox Cities, Northern, Eastern areas) being overwhelmed? We must just have built a giant field hospital & brought in medical workers to staff it just for a political show right? Evers opened the field hospital at the urging of hospital officials in the state reporting that their ICUs are at capacity. They are transferring patients to other facilities and warning of critical staffing shortages.

Northeast, central Wisconsin hospitals in 'crisis' as state officials prep overflow facility at State Fair Park

Now is really not the time for people to go into one of their don't trust the mainstream media fits. And besides, legit doctors (not the youtube "doctors"), scientists, CDC etc are all backing the use of masks, social distancing etc to try to slow this down. It's not just the mainstream media.

Something else to consider is a lot of hospitals are short staffed right now because so many of their workers are on 14 day quarantines due to either having an exposure, having covid themselves, or having symptoms (sore throat, runny nose etc, & having to quarantine at home in case it could be Covid.) Also, fall & winter is when hospitals regularly get busy every year. Pneumonia, & flu cases pick up. Black ice comes in a month or 2 & people fall down & fracture hips. So us being full already means things are only going to get much worse until people here actually start wearing masks & practicing social distancing like other states & countries are doing.

Last edited by everwinter; 10-12-2020 at 07:43 PM..

Old 10-13-2020, 06:54 AM

3,707 posts, read 2,833,564 times
Evers wins mask mandate in court
https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/g...0d151ee5b.html

Yesterday a circuit judge ruled state law doesn’t prevent Evers from issuing a new executive order when emergency conditions exist. After Evers made a mask order in August, the lovely Republican led legislature immediately challenged the order & filed a lawsuit.

The judge even blasted the Republican led legislature saying to them
"The legislature can end the state of emergency at anytime, but so far, it has declined to do so."

and
"As the statewide representative body of the citizens of Wisconsin, the legislature’s inaction is relevant and it weighs against judicial intervention, especially when the requested intervention will have statewide impact."

And this is from a circuit judge appointed by none other than Scott Walker.

It's nice to see a judge agree with a lot of Wisconsinites that Republicans have blood on their hands for this & if they wanted, they could end this crisis in Wisconsin right now. They're basically doing nothing. Wisconsin has the least active legislature in the country since the pandemic started. But the GOP death cult is more concerned about playing politics, & money than they are about caring about sick people here.

Last edited by everwinter; 10-13-2020 at 07:11 AM..

Old 10-13-2020, 08:06 AM
sub

2,618 posts, read 1,132,703 times
"blood on their hands"... "death cult"

A civilized discussion would go a lot further than the sounds of a politician desperately trying to get re-elected.

Old 10-13-2020, 10:56 AM

3,861 posts, read 1,727,504 times
Let’s be honest, even if the GOP was serious about Covid, people up north wouldn’t care about it. There’s a widespread “urban problems don’t effect us up here” mentality that really makes people let their guard down on this stuff. Now it’s a little more serious because all of the hospitals are filled.

Old 10-13-2020, 11:46 AM

2,481 posts, read 4,581,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post

#1 wearing a mask is the miracle cure, if we just comply all will OK
#2 people that don't wear a mask are thoughtless and selfish and must want Grandma to die
#3 What is so hard about falling in lockstep with what the main stream media and powers tell you to do? To not follow along, is to be "difficult" and "non-complaint". Get with the program!
#1: No one is claiming that masks are a "miracle cure." However, the science on the issue shows that masks can help somewhat. There's a shade of nuance there to consider. Masking up isn't a magic wand; it isn't like wearing a condom; it isn't always amazingly effective in all circumstances. But it can make a bit of a difference, and sometimes a "bit" is all it takes.

#2: There may be legitimate reasons (breathing issues?) for some people not to wear a mask, but if the science says that it is generally a good thing to do, and if people hear that and refuse to wear a mask anyhow, then maybe they are thoughtless and selfish. (Or perhaps they don't trust science and the people who convey the messages of science to the public, though that may wind up being the same thing as thoughtless and selfish.)

#3: It's good to be critical of the media and authority, but when it comes to a significant outbreak of a disease for which we don't have much in the way of vaccines and effective treatments, wearing a stupid face covering properly is one of the least onerous things that a person can do to help out.

Quote:
We have extended family in Wisconsin. They are not seeing the hospitals overflowing from the "surge" as is broadcast on the nightly news.
Let's hope it continues that way. All you need is for one careless individual to change things suddenly.

Quote:
Nothing wrong with wearing a mask if that's what you think is best. I have to comply and wear one at my job. I even wear one into the grocery store, but because they request it, NOT because I believe it's necessary.

Nothing wrong with independent thought and "questioning" the people in charge either.
Absolutely--always think about counter-narratives, and it's important to question authorities and the media that convey their messages. And yes, even science can be challenged. But to do the latter correctly and convincingly, you need better science, not just a rebellious attitude or a political agenda.

Old 10-13-2020, 03:06 PM

3,861 posts, read 1,727,504 times
34 deaths from Covid yesterday - new record.

Old 10-14-2020, 05:15 AM

4,729 posts, read 1,970,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Wisconsin has largely been spared of a large outbreak until now, so will have to see if the current outbreak in the Fox Valley starts to change things.
If you examine each state's initial response to CoV, you'll see that those that had a high rate of infection initially now have a much lower rate, while those that had a lower rate now has turned higher....:Flattening the curve" doesn't change the area under the curve. Drastic isolation measures merely prolongs the time the population remains susceptible. Any epidemic persists until a sufficient number of people have recovered from it. (S-I-R Model of Epidemics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It's not about deaths. This is a nasty nasty disease with long term impacts even if you've "recovered" from it.
BS. The rate of "long haulers" is even lower than the death rate from CoV. (My sympathies to those victims, but statistically, you don't even count.)

Please note that there is absolutely no evidence that masks do much good. Plenty of experimental evidence that masks are decent at stopping droplets, but not aerosols...But CoV is spread by aerosols. 70% of infected people in one study claim they "always" wore a mask.https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/co...fficacy-chart/ Would you bother with a birth control pill that was only 30% effective?

The annual death rate from auto accidents is ~ 1 in 10,000. If someone is so anxious about dying in a car wreck that they refuse to get into a car, they are probably under a psychiatrist's care and on medication.

The CoV death rate among the under 45 demographic is 1 in 330,000. Compared to the "automobile-phobics," someone in this group too afraid to go out in public without a mask should be institutionalized.

Last edited by guidoLaMoto; 10-14-2020 at 05:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin