U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2020, 11:27 AM

22,156 posts, read 38,678,489 times

Advertisements

Not surprising at all

https://www.yahoo.com/news/wisconsin...143650745.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2020, 03:34 PM

3,707 posts, read 2,832,730 times
Quote:
Right now Wisconsin is battling the worst coronavirus outbreak in America. The question is why. What about Wisconsin is different from, say, the neighboring states of Michigan, Minnesota and Illinois, where the virus isn’t spreading nearly as fast?

The answer, at least in part, is politics: specifically, the brand of cavalier, it-will-go-away politics propagated by President Trump and parroted by lower-level Republicans who seem hell-bent on resisting efforts to sustain social distancing and mask wearing when the spread is still low enough to contain — and in Wisconsin’s case, who continue to resist even after infections spiral out of control.
Ya, Wisconsinites don't like to be told what to do, & the tavern league has the bars open for some crazy reason. Then you have our impeached president & local Republican politicians ignoring basic infection control strategies & resisting Evers every move. It's a recipe for disaster here. Our state's an embarrassment on a national level. Chicago has Wisconsin on a travel quarantine list. That should tell you something.

And what's with the gas stations? Yesterday about 1/3 the people shopping in Kwik Trip didn't have a mask on. These losers can't even bother to put a mask on for 7 min, & then go inside & cough all over the store. But they say it's all about "my rights," and you know "don't tread on me."

Old 10-11-2020, 04:14 PM

8,153 posts, read 20,697,147 times

Wisconsin Population: 5,822,434
Wisconsin leading causes of death:

Heart Disease 11,680
Cancer 11,318
Accidents 3,746
Chronic Lower Respiratory Disease 2,834
Stroke 2,513
Alzheimers 2,428
Covid-19 as 10.10.2020 1,458

Diabetes 1,433
Flu 974
Suicide 926
Kidney Disease 922

Percentage of state killed by virus as of 10.10.2020: Less than 0.001%

You have a lot higher chance of dying from numerous other items than from covid-19, the vast people who catch it recover from it, if you are 70 and above have a 5% chance of dying from the virus. The number in the headline shouldn't therefore be how many people get it but how many are in the ICU and then how many have passed away from it.

This is the reason why the shut down is a huge overreaction and a giant over-reach by government to strip people's freedoms and hurt their livelihood. It's already been proven that the early action of putting off people's need to see their doctors unless it is very serious has already caused more deaths than covid has. When you put off screenings and other routine check-ups you don't catch things early in their stage. Many people have died to due to this fact of delayed healthcare in the name of covid.

We are always told to trust the science, well here is the science in number form and I trust it; 0.001%

0.001% of 5,822,434 is 5,822, Covid 1,458.

We still have a long way to go even to reach .001% of the state population.

Old 10-11-2020, 04:34 PM

38,727 posts, read 29,001,236 times
It's not about deaths. This is a nasty nasty disease with long term impacts even if you've "recovered" from it.

I had to cancel my trip because of the poor controls Wisconsin put in. Lost the state a good chunk of $$.

Old 10-11-2020, 05:05 PM

10,921 posts, read 3,209,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Ya, Wisconsinites don't like to be told what to do,

And what's with the gas stations? Yesterday about 1/3 the people shopping in Kwik Trip didn't have a mask on. These losers can't even bother to put a mask on for 7 min, & then go inside & cough all over the store. But they say it's all about "my rights," and you know "don't tread on me."
Yes, I was surprised to see that. However, I think the issue is really one of independence (as has been mentioned) and the fact that recent reports have stated that the fatality rate is much less than anticipated. I also think that it is now generally accepted as true that the great majority of people will NOT die or even get seriously ill even if they do become infected; and so I think many people take the increased number of cases with a "so what?" attitude. (Of course, as has often been said, this attitude would likely change if they or a loved one did become seriously ill with COVID.)

In short, I think that most people now have the opinion that "risky behavior" is actually not all that risky for the great majority of people. (And, btw, I have dined in at Wisconsin restaurants about 25 times in the past three months, although I will wear a mask when required, and so far -- knock wood! -- neither my husband nor I have had even minor cold symptoms, and we personally do not know anyone who has either had COVID or who has admitted to having it. Of course, we do live in a rural county, so that might be why.)

Last edited by katharsis; 10-11-2020 at 05:36 PM..

Old 10-11-2020, 08:05 PM

3,861 posts, read 1,727,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Ya, Wisconsinites don't like to be told what to do, & the tavern league has the bars open for some crazy reason. Then you have our impeached president & local Republican politicians ignoring basic infection control strategies & resisting Evers every move. It's a recipe for disaster here. Our state's an embarrassment on a national level. Chicago has Wisconsin on a travel quarantine list. That should tell you something.

It is honestly an embarrassment that we can't band together as a society to do something as basic and as beneficial as wearing a mask during a pandemic. I understand that some people think Covid "is no big deal," but that doesn't give you the right to become a super spreader and cough on granny at the grocery store.

There are some areas of rural Wisconsin where the townies will stare you down for wearing a mask. It is like me being courteous is offensive to them.

Old 10-11-2020, 08:08 PM

3,861 posts, read 1,727,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post

Heart Disease 11,680
Cancer 11,318
Accidents 3,746
Stroke 2,513
Alzheimers 2,428

Diabetes 1,433
Flu 974
Suicide 926
Kidney Disease 922

Wisconsin has largely been spared of a large outbreak until now, so will have to see if the current outbreak in the Fox Valley starts to change things.

Old 10-11-2020, 08:56 PM

2,481 posts, read 4,580,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It's not about deaths. This is a nasty nasty disease with long term impacts even if you've "recovered" from it.
Very true-- I know a few people who survived Covid-19, but continue to have problems with breathing and other ills that arose from having the virus. Maybe it will resolve over time, but for those who are afflicted, it's absolutely horrible.

Old 10-12-2020, 08:53 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,059,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empidonax View Post
Very true-- I know a few people who survived Covid-19, but continue to have problems with breathing and other ills that arose from having the virus. Maybe it will resolve over time, but for those who are afflicted, it's absolutely horrible.
Interesting- the three people I know who had CV-19 earlier in the the year are feeling fine and not having any long lasting issues. (At least as far as I know)

Old 10-12-2020, 10:16 AM

6,274 posts, read 2,728,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post

Heart Disease 11,680
Cancer 11,318
Accidents 3,746
Stroke 2,513
Alzheimers 2,428

Diabetes 1,433
Flu 974
Suicide 926
Kidney Disease 922

You have a lot higher chance of dying from numerous other items than from covid-19, the vast people who catch it recover from it, if you are 70 and above have a 5% chance of dying from the virus. The number in the headline shouldn't therefore be how many people get it but how many are in the ICU and then how many have passed away from it.

This is the reason why the shut down is a huge overreaction and a giant over-reach by government to strip people's freedoms and hurt their livelihood. It's already been proven that the early action of putting off people's need to see their doctors unless it is very serious has already caused more deaths than covid has. When you put off screenings and other routine check-ups you don't catch things early in their stage. Many people have died to due to this fact of delayed healthcare in the name of covid.

We are always told to trust the science, well here is the science in number form and I trust it; 0.001%

0.001% of 5,822,434 is 5,822, Covid 1,458.

We still have a long way to go even to reach .001% of the state population.
Keep in mind if the whole state got tested right now you'd find probably hundreds of thousands more cases which makes the fatality percentage even lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin