U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2020, 02:49 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,899,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empidonax View Post
Public assistance? That would include people receiving unemployment benefits, right? Social security recipients? Not very nice, especially during a pandemic. Also not very nice if it refers to people on welfare, etc.

If this idea applies to people who don't pay taxes, would that just apply to public assistance recipients, or all people who don't pay taxes? That could wind up disenfranchising the current occupant of the White House.

As far as "not very nice" - people depending on welfare and not paying taxes should not demand more taxes to feed them from people who do pay taxes. Simple idea, no ? Ordering other people to give more money to them without paying your own share is not simply "not nice", it's plain theft or robbery.

As far as details go - we could work out those.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2020, 04:08 PM

10,963 posts, read 3,240,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
I think there were more signs for both parties this year. There were tons of Trump signs up through the Fox Valley and into lower Door County, and a few displays were pretty shocking to say the least. I saw a few trucks with "castrate liberals" stickers and homes with "f your feelings" flags.

North of Egg Harbor in Door County was mostly Biden.

I did see a few Biden signs in some rural areas where there were no Clinton signs four years ago. Madison was a sea of Biden signs, far more than 2016.
I live in north Door (west side), and most of the signs I saw were south of us, which makes sense as Sturgeon Bay is by far the most populated town in Door. However, what bothered me was that early in the campaign, I saw quite a few of the Trump signs defaced (just X'ed out) along Highway 42/57, and the Republican headquarters was graffitied which shocked me as Door County is so peaceful. Along the west side, I think Biden signs slightly outnumbered the Trump signs, and I also saw a few "Black Lives Matter" signs. I personally did not see ANY of the signs you mentioned anywhere on trucks or homes, for which I am very grateful. (I mainly drive on County Road G and Highway 42, and we have driven to Green Bay about six times since July, but that's it.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
There have been a couple of studies that show yard signs can sway a small percentage of the electorate. It makes sense when you consider some people vote for whoever they perceive to be the most popular among their friends and community.
The following link says that 1.7% might be swayed. So, yes, a quite small percentage, I think.

https://www.politico.com/story/2015/...-effect-217166

Last edited by katharsis; 11-10-2020 at 04:23 PM..

Old 11-10-2020, 04:18 PM

2,482 posts, read 4,585,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I live in north Door (west side), and most of the signs I saw were in south of us, which makes sense as Sturgeon Bay is by far the most populated town. However, what bothered me was that early in the campaign, I saw quite a few of the Trump signs defaced (just X'ed out) and the Republican headquarters was graffitied which shocked me as Door County is so peaceful. Along the west side, I think Biden signs slightly outnumbered the Trump signs. I also saw a few "Black Lives Matter" signs. (I mainly drive on County Road G and Highway 42, and we have driven to Green Bay about six times since July, but that's it.) I personally did not see ANY of the signs you mentioned anywhere on trucks or homes, for which I am very grateful.
Around here I saw several defaced Trump/Pence signs, but they seemed to be on Biden/Harris properties, so I gather these weren't acts of vandalism, but rather "legit" attempts to make statements.

Lake Drive in Milwaukee's North Shore looked like The Biden Trail, though I'm guessing that at least some of the houses without signs supported Trump/Pence but maybe didn't feel comfortable displaying that.

In Washington County and in a couple of other rural areas I saw a few huuuumungous Trump/Pence signs (really, murals) on the sides of barns and garages.

I'm glad that part of the process is over.... I've never been too fond of ads and billboards and other such signage.

Old 11-10-2020, 06:51 PM

434 posts, read 119,781 times
Joe won. Deal with it

Old 11-10-2020, 09:42 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,696,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
As far as "not very nice" - people depending on welfare and not paying taxes should not demand more taxes to feed them from people who do pay taxes. Simple idea, no ? Ordering other people to give more money to them without paying your own share is not simply "not nice", it's plain theft or robbery.
That would be absolutely RIGHT. As for Social Security, in at least MY case, I paid into in consistently over 55 years that I worked so it ain't "welfare" by any means. Somebody needs to get their "entitlement" mentality cleared out. If I hadn't paid for that all my working life and instead had a side policy saving that money I'd have been even better off.

Old 11-11-2020, 09:11 AM

4,745 posts, read 1,982,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
That would be absolutely RIGHT. As for Social Security, in at least MY case, I paid into in consistently over 55 years that I worked so it ain't "welfare" by any means. Somebody needs to get their "entitlement" mentality cleared out. If I hadn't paid for that all my working life and instead had a side policy saving that money I'd have been even better off.
I too paid into The System for 50+ yrs (mostly self-employed, so I paid double). IF I'm lucky enough to live to age 85, I'll get back (@only $2300/m) just about what I paid in...Had they left me to invest my contributions by myself for myself, I figure I'd be sitting on a lump worth ~$7,000,000 now-- with the ability to leave the remainder that I don't blow to my heirs.

In 1936 when The Dems passed SS (both GOPs in Congress voted against it) life expectancy was only 67 yrs. We (you youngsters) need a new system.

Old 11-11-2020, 06:56 PM

621 posts, read 276,824 times
Quote:
Around here I saw several defaced Trump/Pence signs, but they seemed to be on Biden/Harris properties, so I gather these weren't acts of vandalism, but rather "legit" attempts to make statements.

Lake Drive in Milwaukee's North Shore looked like The Biden Trail, though I'm guessing that at least some of the houses without signs supported Trump/Pence but maybe didn't feel comfortable displaying that.

In Washington County and in a couple of other rural areas I saw a few huuuumungous Trump/Pence signs (really, murals) on the sides of barns and garages.

I'm glad that part of the process is over.... I've never been too fond of ads and billboards and other such signage.
I saw a handful of Trump signs in the North Shore. It was mostly Biden though. I live in Glendale but right before the election I drove through River Hills and Brown Deer, and almost all Biden.

Old 11-14-2020, 09:10 AM

746 posts, read 243,680 times
We finally have a real president and then these clowns come along. Biden picking kamala because she is half black helped him, but the thing is Trump got blacks jobs and gave them their self-esteem back. obama gave them No jobs and welfare. Trump tried so hard to bring this across to them.

Last edited by lovemyfl; 11-14-2020 at 09:19 AM..

Old 11-14-2020, 12:29 PM

2,482 posts, read 4,585,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyfl View Post
We finally have a real president and then these clowns come along. Biden picking kamala because she is half black helped him, but the thing is Trump got blacks jobs and gave them their self-esteem back. obama gave them No jobs and welfare. Trump tried so hard to bring this across to them.

Black unemployment declined under both Obama and Trump:

https://www.jec.senate.gov/public/_c...2020-final.pdf

Old 11-14-2020, 01:04 PM

746 posts, read 243,680 times
Quote:
Black unemployment declined under both Obama and Trump:

https://www.jec.senate.gov/public/_c...2020-final.pdf
https://www.whitehouse.gov/articles/...-hits-new-low/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin