U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2020, 05:09 AM

100 posts, read 76,873 times

Advertisements

Anyone here have experience with both places? The similarities are obvious (namely the cold winters) but what are the differences?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2020, 07:49 AM
sub

2,616 posts, read 1,132,703 times
Don't know that you'll get a lot of responses here. Might try the General U.S. forums. A lot of the people on c-d that are from Wisconsin rarely actually post in the Wisconsin forum for some reason. You might run into more of them and also generally well-travelled people over there.
I've only been to Maine on vacation. Seemed like a different world, but I liked it. Culturally they seem to be a good bit different. New England v. the midwest, Great Lakes versus the ocean. Maine is hillier with actual mountains, and also more thoroughly forested. Wisconsin has a lot of farmland in the southern half of the state. Still can be quite pretty though.
I probably shouldn't try to go more in depth than that since I'm not nearly as familiar with Maine. They're two of my favorite places, but for slightly different reasons.

Old 11-24-2020, 07:53 AM

589 posts, read 469,514 times
I was born and raised in Maine and settled in Wisconsin after college. If your question was more specific I could try and help you. I would suggest going through all the statistics for each state on the main page of CD first.

Old 11-24-2020, 03:11 PM

10,920 posts, read 3,209,105 times
I lived in Bridgton, ME from 2004-07, and I have lived in Door County, WI since July, after about a half-dozen visits. (We retired here.) We have never yet spent a winter there, but we are now getting close! Both areas have many summer tourists and is very "slow" in the off season.

Now, remember that this is just MY experience with two very small towns with two larger towns about an hour away.

So far, the main difference is that the people here are MUCH more friendly and welcoming to newcomers, and there is more of a small town and community feel. In Maine, I felt much more isolated; here in Door County I don't. There are also many more restaurants and things to do, and Door County is MUCH more affluent than Bridgton was. There are also more pine trees in Maine than in Door County. Autumn was gorgeous in Door County whereas in Bridgton, it was only so-so. Bridgton was more working class, Door County (at least Northern Door, where I live) is more upscale, and the restaurants and shops reflect that. (Many artists live here, btw, and there are many galleries.) Btw, Southern Door is more farmland, while Northern Door is more scenic, although there are quite a few wineries and orchards in the northern part (cherry and apple). Also, Door County has MANY retirees, Bridgton's population is much younger with a LOT more kids.

As far as Green Bay vs. Portland, not much difference at all, except Portland borders the Atlantic (ocean vs. a very large bay) and Green Bay has about 50 percent more people (about 100,000 vs. about 65,000). I also had some very negative experiences with real estate people in Maine (and also New Hampshire, btw) and totally incompetent contractors; I have nothing but GREAT things to say about everyone I've encountered in Door County.

In short, I am very, VERY happy here in Door, and I was very unhappy in Maine. The only downside to Door is that there are not many job opportunities unless you are in the hospitality, small retail or construction industries -- or you don't mind commuting to Green Bay. (In Bridgton, people it was the same situation, although not nearly as many restaurants, motels, etc. -- and VERY few art galleries, if any. (I don't remember seeing any galleries at all, but perhaps I just wasn't looking.)

Again, this is just MY experience. I am sure that other people have different opinions!

Last edited by katharsis; 11-24-2020 at 03:46 PM..

Old 11-24-2020, 10:34 PM

I'm just looking for personal impressions and experience; things that aren't in the statistics, or obvious, like the weather or crime rate. Do you feel like you're living in the same place, or if it seems different, how so?

Old 11-24-2020, 10:40 PM

Thanks, Katharsis! After living in Maine for many years I have to say, I have the same impressions. I don't feel like it is a very warm or welcoming place. People here seem somewhat dull, and I've had problems with incompetence on every level. There isn't much going on except in Portland which is full of transplants. As beautiful as it is, I just never felt at home or comfortable here no matter how much time I've spent living here, and I keep wondering if its just me.

Old 11-25-2020, 11:13 AM

I find the populace of both states equally warm and welcoming, although I could say that about every single state I have visited. I also find an endless amount of things to do that I cherish most in either Maine or Wisconsin.

I miss fresh seafood, real wraps, fiddleheads, Chicken Haddie, great chowder and numerous other foods from Maine but I can buy some of that online. If I moved back there, there would be several foods I would miss from Wisconsin.

I miss the mountains but with 2 great airports within an hour of my house I can leave in the early morning and be on the slopes in Utah by early afternoon. 2/3 of Wisconsin is flat.

The best thing I have found here is that I can afford to buy a property on the shores of Lake Michigan, but would struggle to find one on the coast of Maine. But when I can, I may very well move back.

Old 11-26-2020, 08:14 AM

130 posts, read 129,589 times
Lived in York Maine for a short time but lived in NH for 23 years and visited Maine frequently. People were not that unfriendly in Maine and being from WI I don't see much of a difference. The seacoast from York to Presque Isle was to die for whereas the interior of Maine not as much. WI is way too flat for me having lived out East. I would move back there in a heartbeat but can't anymore. Both states are cold in the winter but believe Maine gets more snow at least that was the case in NH by a lot. I do miss the seafood especially fried clams and lobster that was readily available so fresh, I love the ocean more than a big lake as the sounds, tides and smell are way different offering distinct differences. Acadia National Park is unlike anything you've seen and can witness the sunrise before anybody in the lower 48.

Old 11-26-2020, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINH View Post
Lived in York Maine for a short time but lived in NH for 23 years and visited Maine frequently. People were not that unfriendly in Maine and being from WI I don't see much of a difference. The seacoast from York to Presque Isle was to die for whereas the interior of Maine not as much. WI is way too flat for me having lived out East. I would move back there in a heartbeat but can't anymore. Both states are cold in the winter but believe Maine gets more snow at least that was the case in NH by a lot. I do miss the seafood especially fried clams and lobster that was readily available so fresh, I love the ocean more than a big lake as the sounds, tides and smell are way different offering distinct differences. Acadia National Park is unlike anything you've seen and can witness the sunrise before anybody in the lower 48.
Good synopsis but I disagree about the interior portion comment. Baxter State Park is larger than many National Parks and features Mt. Katahdin. Moosehead Lake is 40 miles long with over 80 islands. The western lakes and mountain region has some of the most spectacular hardwood forests in the US. I have explored more of the state than the average resident there and I still haven't scratched the surface.

But yes, the fresh seafood and the sounds and smells of the ocean will never escape my mind. Cripes, here in Wisconsin the scallops they serve are white.

Old 11-27-2020, 08:15 AM

130 posts, read 129,589 times
I never got to visit interior Maine much due to the fact wife and I worked too much I do agree it does have beautiful areas. I found it easier at the time to take the coastal highways to the many areas on the seacoast and saw many historical homes and beautiful seacoast villages. I have been ordering much seafood from Maine but gets a little expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin