Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2020, 09:46 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times

Advertisements

My mother in law is in a nursing home up in Tomahawk. I love going to that quaint little town and to the local restaurant. (OMG the best sweet potato fries ever)

We found a hotel that lets us bring our Yorkie and he visits the residents in the nursing home. I love to see their faces light up when Joe comes in. We haven't been up in a year now because of Covid, and as soon as we can, we will head up for a visit.

It's not unusual to strike up a conversation in the restaurants in Tomahawk with people at other tables. (It drives my husband John crazy because he's an introvert and I'm an extrovert on steroids.) I love doing that. The locals know that you're not from around here, yet, they are friendly and nice. Nobody asks who did you vote for. I have to admit that I go to those restaurants in jeans, hiking boots, and a flannel shirt. I don't look big city. I'm comfortable that way. So I guess I fit in. That might help with the conversations.

I do remember talking to a guy in a gas station/convenience store with rifles on the wall for sale. Okay it was a little weird seeing them up on a wall like that and not in a locked case. It's a different mind set up there full of good people. I kind of miss it. It's the kind of a place where you'd see eggs for sale unattended and you leave the money. I appreciate that mentality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2020, 11:41 AM

2,661 posts, read 3,859,347 times
Perhaps I am biased because I am from WI and we raised our family there but--- I think upper Midwest people are much more outgoing, extroverted and just plain FUN when compared to the PNW "chill" folks that populate OR and WA.

Prior to COVID, I could always squeeze a WI visit into every business trip made to Chicago. Can't beat the overall openness of the Midwesterner. Very easy to strike up a conversation.

I miss it. Here, people look down when you walk by and there is a lot less laughter in the workplace.

I will also state that California transplants here are generally outgoing and fun. Sometimes a little arrogant but that's OK. They make one laugh more that a native OR person.

WI will always be a cool place for me. If it weren't for the winters, I definitely could consider moving back and living in hill country of SW WI.

I recognize this post places broad generalizations on people and there certainly are exceptions to every comment made. I don't know how else to make the comment though.

Old 12-03-2020, 01:42 PM

26,408 posts, read 46,581,861 times
WI in the Northwoods is very reserved but much more upfront and friendly compared to the MN Northwoods based on my experiences.

Old 12-04-2020, 06:52 PM

6,113 posts, read 3,344,280 times
Wisconsin nice?

I visited Madison once and when a group of people found out I was in the military, I was actually insulted to my face.

I was also driving on Highway 2 and got caught in a speed trap in Ashland probably doing 40 in a 30, or something like that as I wasn’t familiar with the road and the speed limit going down so fast. Showed the officer my military ID hoping to get some leniency as I was driving back to my base in North Dakota for duty and then deploying later in the month. Did she let me off with a warning? Nope, I had to follow her to the police station and pay a bunch of cash for the ticket. 200 or something like that.

I did enjoy the game I went to at Lambeau Field, but I didn’t really interact with anyone other than the people in my group.

So other than the fact that they dislike the military in Wisconsin, I guess they are nice.

I get it, these 2 incidents are surely not representative of the state and I just had some bad luck, but I do have a negative opinion of Wisconsin because of it. Especially the ticket I got in Ashland. I’m still so angry about that.

Old 12-04-2020, 07:53 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
Wisconsin nice?

I visited Madison once and when a group of people found out I was in the military, I was actually insulted to my face.

I was also driving on Highway 2 and got caught in a speed trap in Ashland probably doing 40 in a 30, or something like that as I wasn’t familiar with the road and the speed limit going down so fast. Showed the officer my military ID hoping to get some leniency as I was driving back to my base in North Dakota for duty and then deploying later in the month. Did she let me off with a warning? Nope, I had to follow her to the police station and pay a bunch of cash for the ticket. 200 or something like that.

I did enjoy the game I went to at Lambeau Field, but I didn’t really interact with anyone other than the people in my group.

So other than the fact that they dislike the military in Wisconsin, I guess they are nice.

I get it, these 2 incidents are surely not representative of the state and I just had some bad luck, but I do have a negative opinion of Wisconsin because of it. Especially the ticket I got in Ashland. I’m still so angry about that.
As others have noted, Madison seems to be EXTREMELY leftist.

Old 12-04-2020, 08:41 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,627,718 times
Quote:
Wisconsin nice?

I'm sorry that happened to you. Thank you for your service. Despite the above interactions, military folks (and police) are genuinely appreciated by the vast majority of people.

Old 12-05-2020, 09:54 PM

2,138 posts, read 1,208,096 times
joy to the fishes in the deep blues sea ...joy to you and me.... oh wait! where was 3DN from?

Old 12-11-2020, 11:30 AM

1,081 posts, read 548,908 times
Quote:
Wisconsin nice?

Wisconsin has it's charm, however there are some counties where your service might not get you leniency.
I'll let you figure out which ones you touched that touched you back.
https://www.nytimes.com/elections/20...ults/wisconsin

Old 12-11-2020, 03:36 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post

I do remember talking to a guy in a gas station/convenience store with rifles on the wall for sale. Okay it was a little weird seeing them up on a wall like that and not in a locked case. It's a different mind set up there full of good people. I kind of miss it. It's the kind of a place where you'd see eggs for sale unattended and you leave the money. I appreciate that mentality.
Yes, we experienced that in a local pick-your-own apple orchard and a local saw-your-own Christmas tree lot (all Christmas trees were $49, including tax, and regardless of size, and they provide the saws free of charge with wrapping string at $3.00, and one of the local golf courses does that in the off season.

Quite a big change from city living!

Old 12-27-2020, 03:53 AM

6,113 posts, read 3,344,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlEsc View Post
Wisconsin has it's charm, however there are some counties where your service might not get you leniency.
I'll let you figure out which ones you touched that touched you back.
https://www.nytimes.com/elections/20...ults/wisconsin
Wow, that’s eye opening and explains a lot as to what happened to me when I visited Wisconsin.

I knew Madison was ultra liberal, I knew what I was getting into, but I didn’t know Ashland was like that too. Unfortunately, no way to avoid that area if you are traveling on Highway 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin