Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 04:23 AM

324 posts, read 1,528,131 times

Advertisements

i miss summerfest (as i live in nc now)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 05:24 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,616,693 times
I remember going to church camp at Lake Geneva for a week every summer and thought it was the greatest thing even though it was quite rustic, such good times! This was over 40 years ago, we used to walk to Williams Bay and hike to the observatory.

I liked the Dells alot, too and chaperoned youth group trips there when I was in my 20's. I was surprised when I went through there in 2003, did not recognize the area at all. I remember going to Stand Rock Indian Ceremonial, the Indian Museum, the whole Dells area sure did change.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:46 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
My favorite memories revolve around my trips "up north" to northern Wisconsin. I especially liked Minocqua/Woodruff, Eagle River, and Sturgeon Bay along the Door Peninsula. I enjoyed talking to many friendly people, going to the supper clubs, and conversing with others at many of the local taverns. Downtown Minocqua has a lot of neat shops too if I remember.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:08 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,451,995 times
Liver Paste (patte') and Friday Perch Frys at little hole in the wall bars! I was born and raised in Wisconsin, left in 81 for the military. We lived each summer in Door County, Horse Shoe Bay area during the time they had hand pickers in the orchards. Best place for a kid to spend the summer, meet other kids from other backgrounds and make a few dollars for school clothes.
Lived in Marinette for many years, road the city bus for a dime, used to have french fries at the Woolworths lunch counter and shovel snow. Oh lord, if I had to shovel snow today, I'd be complainin' like some of the posters do on the other threads. Learned how to fish from my Dad, whom I lost in 83' and was my best friend. Used to go to his CBer meets at the Big Boy restaurant in Menominee, Mich. A twin city of Marinette joined by the Interstate and Menekaunee Bridges on each end of town. Alot of logging history up there.

Old 05-11-2008, 12:58 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,109,923 times
Standing on my backporch in Mercer Wisconsin 35 years ago. The world was blanketed in snow and was so hushed and still that you could hear an branch creaking a mile away. The trees were clad in ice that sparkled like crystal. The aroma from the tamarack swamps wafted across the meadow. All was at peace. All was clean and beautiful.

Old 05-11-2008, 01:04 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,038,433 times
As a child, on vacation...hand's down one of the memorable times:

Baraboo Wisconsin at the Circus World Museum.
Cheese....so much of it! I still love wheels of cheese over slices any day.
The Dells

Old 05-11-2008, 02:04 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Lots of good Wisconsin memories, most as an adult. Going to Mickey's on Williamson Street in Madison every Wednesday night for their Celtic jam sessions. Lots of holidays spent at the ex in-laws' lake house. Lots of road trips all over the state, both with past and present spouse. Summer evenings spent in The Great Dane's impeccable biergarten or on the UW Union terrace. Lots of great conversations struck up at brewpubs all over the state.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:43 PM

32 posts, read 99,565 times
Default My WI Memories

Wow... there are soooo many! I grew up as an Army Brat, but we always came 'home' to WI almost every year to visit relatives (and there are a LOT of them! lol)
I remember the smell of the wood stove burning in the winter at my Dads parents farm,

I remember the smell of rose oil on my Mom's Mom whenever she was busy making home made flower arrangements.

I remember going on long walks with my cousins by their houses or on/by our grandparents farms.

I remember snowflakes glistening in the moonlit hillside, just after a fresh snowshower.

I remember helping bake cookies, learning to crochete, making pop-corn in a kettle on the stove and listening to stories my grandparents would tell when I spent the night.

I remember the fresh smell of the leaves as I walked on them in the woods on a cool fall day.

I remember living up in the 'northwoods' for a half a year and hearing the howl of wolves at night.

I remember seeing too many deer to count standing in a feild as I drove by on my way to anywhere.

I remember seeing sand cranes standing tall and proud along any marshland, as if it was God's gift to only them.

I remember going on 'nature rides' with my parents and my aunt and uncle and seeing baby racoons along the side of the road.

I remember camping, swimming and fishing as a child/teenager, and all the fun times those trips brought to me and mine.

Oh, and most of all, I just remembered, I can walk outside, drive down a nearby road, ride a bike down a nearby trail and revisit a lot of those memories again any day I want, since I have now lived in WI for about the last 24 years.

Im so glad so many other people enjoy this great state as much as I do, even if it is just to visit!

Old 06-17-2008, 10:50 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,609,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enelra32 View Post
Wow... there are soooo many! I grew up as an Army Brat, but we always came 'home' to WI almost every year to visit relatives (and there are a LOT of them! lol)
I remember the smell of the wood stove burning in the winter at my Dads parents farm,

I remember the smell of rose oil on my Mom's Mom whenever she was busy making home made flower arrangements.

I remember going on long walks with my cousins by their houses or on/by our grandparents farms.

I remember snowflakes glistening in the moonlit hillside, just after a fresh snowshower.

I remember helping bake cookies, learning to crochete, making pop-corn in a kettle on the stove and listening to stories my grandparents would tell when I spent the night.

I remember the fresh smell of the leaves as I walked on them in the woods on a cool fall day.

I remember living up in the 'northwoods' for a half a year and hearing the howl of wolves at night.

I remember seeing too many deer to count standing in a feild as I drove by on my way to anywhere.

I remember seeing sand cranes standing tall and proud along any marshland, as if it was God's gift to only them.

I remember going on 'nature rides' with my parents and my aunt and uncle and seeing baby racoons along the side of the road.

I remember camping, swimming and fishing as a child/teenager, and all the fun times those trips brought to me and mine.

Oh, and most of all, I just remembered, I can walk outside, drive down a nearby road, ride a bike down a nearby trail and revisit a lot of those memories again any day I want, since I have now lived in WI for about the last 24 years.

Im so glad so many other people enjoy this great state as much as I do, even if it is just to visit!
I couldn't agree any more. I love the look of fresh fallen snow in the middle of January at night with a full moon perched high in the sky. Everything is so serene.

Again, Great Post!

Old 06-18-2008, 09:14 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
I remember when there was a Lake Delton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin