Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2008, 02:26 PM

221 posts, read 1,194,951 times

Advertisements

Hello, all. I am new to this forum. What a great place!

I am originally from SE Wisconsin. Born and raised in the Oconomowoc area for the first ten years of life. When I was ten my dad moved our family to Eastern Washington where I lived the next ten years of my life. At age 20 I got married and a few months later my dad moved the family back to Wisconsin to be near family. We followed them a few months later and lived in NW Wisconsin for six months (the coldest six months of the year). Since that time (14 years now) my husband and I (and now our 2.5 year old daughter) have moved all over...MS, OR, CA, WA, and now ID.

I have always wanted to move back to WI to be near to all my family...four parents and four siblings, plus there is a lot of extended relation there. My husband never wants to live there again. He likes the West...the mountains, the outdoor activities, and the less cold and snow the better. We have lived in the Boise area now since last July. He really likes it here, and I do, too. But now more than ever I want to move back to Wisconsin. I want my daughter to grow up around her cousins and grandparents and aunts and uncles. I feel I could deal with the weather just to be near to family...and not have to deal with airplanes, airports, and airfares anymore. Ugh.

If we moved there it would be SW Wisconsin where Camp Douglas is because my husband serves in the United States Air Force. As I look at the weather on weather.com, it seems to me that the temperatures here in SW Idaho are pretty comparable to the temperatures in SW Wisconsin.

I am wondering...has anyone here lived in SW Idaho and SW Wisconsin? Can you offer me your opinion on how they are similar and how they are different? I have not lived in WI since I was ten, and that was in SE Wisconsin. Plus I was just a kid. I have done research, but I would love to hear from people who have or do actually live there...whether you've lived in Idaho or not. What do you think of it there? I've driven thru parts and it seems beautiful. I love WI all over, tho. How do I convince my hubby (who loves mountain biking and camping and riding a sport bike and participating in competition shooting (IDPA, etc.), and who does not like hunting or fishing or mosquitoes ) to?

Thanks everyone.

Jessica

Last edited by jessysunshine; 05-07-2008 at 03:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 11:58 AM

18 posts, read 58,835 times
Default currrently near Camp Douglas

I can't say that I have lived in ID, but have been to MT, WY, British Columbia, Nevada, etc... so I have some idea of the area out there. I too lived in Southern WI (Janesville) and moved up near Camp Douglas to be around the hills, trees, rock outcroppings, and to some extent relatives. I had planned to move to MT when I was younger and this area of WI filled that void for trees, hills, less traffic, and no houses with 3 feet between them. Your husband will be able to find all the activities he is looking for and more in the parks, bike trail nearby, etc...The only thing missing around here is a true mountain chain. But the bluffs are quite beautiful as well. We are sad to have put our place for sale due to unforeseen circumstances as it is beautiful here. We had built our dream home on 50 acres with 6 miles of view, winding roads, great neighbors, and great parks nearby for horse back riding, fishing and canoeing. The fall tour buses even come thru here if that tells you how gorgeous the topography is. You don't think people from neighboring states take vacations here for no reason do you? Like all places when you move, things ARE different. That is what makes each state unique. You will have to drive for art, cultural activities, etc... But just part of a trade off of riding your bike down a road where no one passes you but an Amish buggy. Best bet is to come visit the relatives and drive around. Email me privately if you want to chat specifically. Can't remember if you mentioned kids, but we also moved here to start a family. Still a good place to raise a family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin