Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2021, 05:10 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times

Advertisements

Details here:

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireSt...ndate-76789029

More details/opinion here:

https://hotair.com/archives/ed-morri...-mask-mandate/

Fellow Wisconsinites, what do you think?

Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

And/or what do you think will be the end result of this, either specifically or in general?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2021, 06:25 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,627,718 times
Emergency powers are necessary when there's no time to call the Legislature into session, get everyone up to speed, etc. Something has to be done now and can't wait for the normal legislative process. It's been a year, there's been no valid reason to use emergency executive powers for the past 10+ months. Democracy is inconvenient, but it's far better than any alternative I've ever heard of.

If it's valid to use emergency powers now, there will never be a time when it isn't valid. And if anyone thinks that's ok because the Governor happens to be doing something they agree with, they should consider how they'll feel when a future Governor uses emergency powers to do something they vehemently disagree with. Because if using emergency powers goes unchecked, that's what we all have to look forward to.

Old 03-31-2021, 06:27 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,891,624 times
If Supreme Court found that Gov. Evers acted unlawfully, where is his punishment???

Old 04-01-2021, 06:56 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,314,851 times
As with a lot of things in the legal world, both sides have a convincing case. There's a very good legal argument against the mask mandate, and there is a very good legal argument in favor of it.

I personally favor a mask mandate, but the court's majority seems to believe that the pandemic as it is today is exactly the same crisis as it was months ago. I suppose Evers could issue a new mask mandate that specifically addresses the new variants of the virus; it would be interesting to see how that plays out in court because technically, the current crisis would be semantically framed as different from previous iterations of the pandemic in the state.

From what I've been reading, masking up can make a bit of a difference in controlling the spread of the virus, though it isn't a slam dunk. Many other factors are involved, as well, and the mandate isn't enforced in a lot of places anyhow.

A statewide mandate would make it easier for many of us to navigate businesses and other places--I really don't want to have to call places ahead of time to find out what their rules are, or look up each municipality's rules if I'm traveling around different places. In fact, I'll probably avoid certain places now, and if others feel the same way, that means less business for those places.

Fortunately, I'm not one of the thousands of people who will likely lose federal food aid due to the lack of an emergency order in the state. I feel badly for those who will suffer because of this, and I don't mind throwing on a stupid mask to help them out, but evidently many others in the state--including members of the legislature--cannot be bothered. These people scream "tyranny" and "lack of freedom," but they have no idea what those things really are.

Same old same old in Wisconsin!

Old 04-01-2021, 09:08 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
I will say one thing, it feels damn good to not have a politican's hand over my face.

The welfare of humanity is the alibi of tyrants -A.C.

Old 04-01-2021, 09:14 PM

1,434 posts, read 667,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empidonax View Post
As with a lot of things in the legal world, both sides have a convincing case. There's a very good legal argument against the mask mandate, and there is a very good legal argument in favor of it.

I personally favor a mask mandate, but the court's majority seems to believe that the pandemic as it is today is exactly the same crisis as it was months ago. I suppose Evers could issue a new mask mandate that specifically addresses the new variants of the virus; it would be interesting to see how that plays out in court because technically, the current crisis would be semantically framed as different from previous iterations of the pandemic in the state.

From what I've been reading, masking up can make a bit of a difference in controlling the spread of the virus, though it isn't a slam dunk. Many other factors are involved, as well, and the mandate isn't enforced in a lot of places anyhow.

A statewide mandate would make it easier for many of us to navigate businesses and other places--I really don't want to have to call places ahead of time to find out what their rules are, or look up each municipality's rules if I'm traveling around different places. In fact, I'll probably avoid certain places now, and if others feel the same way, that means less business for those places.

Fortunately, I'm not one of the thousands of people who will likely lose federal food aid due to the lack of an emergency order in the state. I feel badly for those who will suffer because of this, and I don't mind throwing on a stupid mask to help them out, but evidently many others in the state--including members of the legislature--cannot be bothered. These people scream "tyranny" and "lack of freedom," but they have no idea what those things really are.

Same old same old in Wisconsin!
No one is going to stop you from wearing a mask if you want to wear one. No need to call ahead to make sure it's ok . C' mon.

Old 04-01-2021, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny3 View Post
No one is going to stop you from wearing a mask if you want to wear one. No need to call ahead to make sure it's ok . C' mon.
You're obviously not getting the full concept, but not to worry--you're in good company.

Old 04-01-2021, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I will say one thing, it feels damn good to not have a politican's hand over my face.
Now if we can just all run around nude whenever and wherever we want, we'll be completely free!

Old 04-01-2021, 09:55 PM

1,434 posts, read 667,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empidonax View Post
You're obviously not getting the full concept, but not to worry--you're in good company.
Yeah ok.

Old 04-01-2021, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny3 View Post
Yeah ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
View detailed profiles of: