Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2021, 10:55 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,748,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Illinois State Income Tax - 4.95% (flat)
Wisconsin State Income Tax - 6.27 (for salaries 32K-300K)

Sales tax:
Illinois Sales Tax - 6.25-9.75.
Wisconsin Sales Tax - 5-5.6%

Therefore, it is cheaper to live on the IL side of the border and shop in Racine county for big items
Property taxes in Illinois are much higher in that area, sometimes double that of Kenosha or Racine Counties.
Depending on the situation, that might be enough to offset.
Then there's the reality of actually having to live in Illinois.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2021, 01:32 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Illinois State Income Tax - 4.95% (flat)
Wisconsin State Income Tax - 6.27 (for salaries 32K-300K)

Sales tax:
Illinois Sales Tax - 6.25-9.75.
Wisconsin Sales Tax - 5-5.6%

Therefore, it is cheaper to live on the IL side of the border and shop in Racine county for big items
I forgot that Wisconsin has a fairly steep income tax at relatively low income levels. Thanks for reminding me...

Old 08-06-2021, 01:53 PM

85 posts, read 71,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Property taxes in Illinois are much higher in that area, sometimes double that of Kenosha or Racine Counties.
Depending on the situation, that might be enough to offset.

Along these same lines, here is my last property tax bill from Illinois (Lake County) before I moved to Wisconsin.

https://imgur.com/R81Zedt

And mind you, this was a modest 3 bedroom home in Wauconda. My property taxes into escrow each month were more expensive than my principal and interest payment for my actual mortgage. I pay about 1/3 of that now in Wisconsin, and for a much larger home I might add. Ask literally anybody who lives in Lake or Mchenry County in Illinois and they will complain about property taxes. Unless you just happen to be loaded, 10K or more for property taxes is a major chunk of a persons salary. At least it was mine. Not worth it IMHO.

Old 08-06-2021, 02:48 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,781,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post

TBH, I like the Illinois side better; better amenities, housing stock, schools. If it weren't for the insane property taxes in Lake County, I'm not sure why anyone would choose to live near the border in Wisconsin (no offense). If you want rural, there are far better places in Wisconsin.

But, I can obviously understand not wanting to pay the property tax on the Illinois side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
We found this small town Genoa City right on IL state line. It's 36 miles to the address of my husband's work. They have a few places on sell . Right now, 520 pm it would take an hour to drive. That's how long it takes to drive 9 miles in the city sometimes..lol
One thing to be aware of is that small towns in Wisconsin can be extremely insular. When you're an adult, it doesn't really matter, but you definitely can feel it when you are a kid.

I went to middle school 20 min outside of Madison, and some of my classmates had never left the state, never tried Chinese or Mexican food, etc. I remember being looked at like an alien when I said my favorite was pierogies (lol). I'm not trying to diss anyone here, but I heard some WILD these from these people about politics and the world.

I point this it mainly to say your kids may experience some culture shock coming from Chicago to small town Wisconsin.

Old 08-06-2021, 08:32 PM

85 posts, read 71,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post

TBH, I like the Illinois side better; better amenities, housing stock, schools. If it weren't for the insane property taxes in Lake County, I'm not sure why anyone would choose to live near the border in Wisconsin (no offense). If you want rural, there are far better places in Wisconsin.

But, I can obviously understand not wanting to pay the property tax on the Illinois side.

One thing to be aware of is that small towns in Wisconsin can be extremely insular. When you're an adult, it doesn't really matter, but you definitely can feel it when you are a kid.

I went to middle school 20 min outside of Madison, and some of my classmates had never left the state, never tried Chinese or Mexican food, etc. I remember being looked at like an alien when I said my favorite was pierogies (lol). I'm not trying to diss anyone here, but I heard some WILD these from these people about politics and the world.

I point this it mainly to say your kids may experience some culture shock coming from Chicago to small town Wisconsin.
What’s concerning is that Lake County keeps getting worse as far as property taxes. Mine went up 26% in 3 years. I also know plenty of people who still live in the area. They just got their assessments recently and they went up again! It’s beyond ridiculous.

Honestly, there is little cultural difference as far as living conditions up near the border. Someone who owns a house in Lake Villa, Spring Grove or Antioch in Illinois is going to feel right at home someplace like Twin Lakes, Trevor, Wilmot, etc. in Wisconsin. Same outdoorsman and lake style vibe among the people. Same dive bars and mom and pop restaurants. Same tight knit neighborhoods where everyone knows everyone.

Big difference is they will have spotted cow on tap now and pay a hell of a lot less in property taxes.

Old 08-09-2021, 01:12 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post

Im.not really not too worried about the kids having a culture shock. We have lived in Oklahoma, Mississippi, Seattle and Chicago. We travel to Europe almost every year or every other year and a half. So my kids have seen a lot. But one thing they have never had is a back yard. Their own piece of grass to walk on or be able to be outside and play on their own. I grew up in a large city and I never had any of these things either. Also, we can easy drive to Chicago or other cities if we want culture. This last year and a half have been horrible living in the city. I couldn't take my daughter to the park because of covid. They closed the park. My kids haven't been to school and seen their friends since early 2020.

We are.ready to get out of Chicago, and Illinois.
We are looking to spend 3 to 400,000 on a house.

Old 08-10-2021, 03:28 PM

9,974 posts, read 5,669,596 times
Unfortunately there's no easy commute to Arlington Heights from anywhere in Wisconsin. If your workplace were somewhere closer to the I-94 corridor it would be doable. As it is there's just no quick direct way to get from WI to AH or vice-versa. You'll either have to take a circuitous route on the main highways or slog through street traffic through towns whose road infrastructure has not kept up with the growth rate and thus are choked with traffic during commute hours. It's a minimum one-hour drive just to the border; add more the further north of the border you live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin