Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 08:46 AM

49 posts, read 97,942 times

Advertisements

The message above - I meant to address it to Alt Dach (post #8)- thanks!
I am also very interested in learning more about Brookfield too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 06:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,438 times
Default Great choices to choose from..

I grew up in Mequon and rented a house there after I graduated college. I now live in Brookfield with my wife. I would have to say I like Brookfield the most out of the options you provided.

Most of the posts are correct in saying that Mequon feels like it is far away. It is about 20-25 min from downtown. In rush hour traffic it will take you 45 min to get to work and home (at least). This is if you are on the east side of Mequon. If you are on the west side, it will take you an additional 15 min. There is not a lot of night life in the area for trendy spots. You have a few, and I mean a few, nice restaurants. But on the other hand you have some other nice cities close by (Cedarburg, Bayside, Whitefish Bay, etc) which all offer other nice small town activities. Schools in Mequon (Homestead High School) are considered some of the best in the state. Mequon only has 1 high school for the population which is having problems with enrollment since homes are becoming very expensive in the area and families that can afford the homes usually have older children. There are also an abundance of Country Clubs (Ozaukee CC, Mequon CC and North Shore – my favorite since I was married there).

With Brookfield, you are much closer to activities like the zoo, malls, restaurants, parks, etc. Brookfield has a mix of homes from older to newer, both larger and smaller lots depending on your needs. Schools in Brookfield are also some of the best in the state and there are also 2 high schools to support the population. Brookfield has now become a restaurant mecca which is nice for kids and families alike. There is one major Country club in Brookfield (Westmoor) but there are others close by (Bluemound CC – which is actually in Milwaukee). There is also a small village near by called Elm Grove which is nice to walk around with little shops.

I will not comment much on Oconomowoc. It is the furthest away (west) but does offer a lot. If it was up to me I would move to the lake country if my wife and I did not work in Milwaukee. It would be too far for my wife to drive to the East side (Milwaukee). They are going through a population explosion for the last few years. They do not have a major mall close, yet, but there are some nice little shops. Homes are in varying sizes out there as well. From my experience this will be the most country living feeling.

BTW, I think Alt Dach was being sarcastic with his post. All three are some of the wealthier areas in the metro area but not the only ones (i.e River Hills, Whitefish Bay, Bayside, Wauwatosa, etc.)

I hope this helps.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:53 PM

15 posts, read 58,619 times
Oconomowoc hands down. Surrounded by beautiful lakes and is small but not to small. I have only lived here for 1 year but it was recommended to us by two different people that was helping us relocate and we are sooooo glad because even after being here a year we have grown more familiar with the different areas and still like Oconomowoc the best. There is lots of construction in our little town right now and it is a mess downtown but when it gets finished downtown will be really nice again. Oh and we have super schools and two new middle schools opening this year.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,144 times
I may accept a position in the Mequon area; but, I like bookstores, coffee shops, music stores and such. Privacy is important but small towns sometimes have their share of nosey neighbors. Maybe Brookfield? How's the drive from Brookfield to Mequon, especially in the winter? I'm coming from the Chicago area.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:12 AM

4,361 posts, read 6,528,616 times
Although you sound more like a soon to be Brookfield resident, I would still consider going a bit further out. Delafield would be suitable to your standards and would still be in what is considered Lake Country. Anywhere out in Lake Country you could find suitable suroundings. Delafield has a Target Store.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:24 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
based on your requests, I would suggest Brookfield and then Pewaukee/delafield second. Then Mequon. although I would rather live in Mequon, it's your info that I base my recommendations on not my feelings like others in cd forums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin