U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2008, 10:12 AM

1 posts, read 4,645 times

Advertisements

We are a family of 5 moving from Chicaco, IL to Winsconsin. My husbands job will be located in Oconomowoc, WI. So we would love to be somewhat near his job and near Milwaukee just to be near a major city.

We are looking for a diverse family friendly area to reside with decent schools.

Please help us. We are doing our own research as well. All replies will be appreciated. Thanks for your time and help!

Thanks!

The Davis family
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 08:30 AM

396 posts, read 1,574,410 times
Oconomowoc and Lake Country are very pretty and growing areas. For more diversity and to be closer to Milwaukee you might want to live in closer. You might want to check out Brookfield or Waukesha.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:24 AM

38,704 posts, read 93,434,501 times
Yes indeed, Brookfield and Waukesha are well-known bastions of diversity, what with their respective 7% and 13% minority populations...

Old 06-23-2008, 02:16 PM

862 posts, read 883,514 times
Unhappy Diverse ?

MKE burbs are noted for being the least diverse in the US.
Unlikely anyone will bother you but not friendly either.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:18 AM

2 posts, read 5,848 times
AIDAVIS-

Just wondering if you made your move up to WI yet? Did you decide on an area? We just relocated to Oconomowoc from Naperville, IL. So far so good. The schools seem good....still selling our home in Naperville so we havent yet decided where we will build or buy at yet. Takes getting used to but we are adjusting...still havent met that many people...thought it would be a little more "new neighbor" friendly.....maybe its me..

Old 09-16-2009, 02:24 PM

105 posts, read 326,290 times
Hello! Looks like the original poster only posted once..and never came back!
I know when we moved in to Oconomowoc, we had a Welcome Wagon visit..does that still exist? If so, and they haven't contacted you, contact them! My neighbors did that, and ended up joining a great group (Newcomer's Club) and developed lots of friends! Or find other 'groups' to join, like the bookstore's book club for example, etc.
If you were my new neighbor, I would have baked you cookies! )
Welcome!

Old 06-10-2011, 02:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,015 times
Stay in IL.....We have enough FIBS up here as it is......

Old 06-13-2011, 09:11 AM

300 posts, read 221,776 times
Remember racial diversity has never proven to beneficial by any metric.

It is simply nothing more than an emotion based idea. If it was such a good idea, it wouldn't need to be jammed down everyones throats.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:53 AM

21 posts, read 48,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwrek View Post
Remember racial diversity has never proven to beneficial by any metric.

It is simply nothing more than an emotion based idea. If it was such a good idea, it wouldn't need to be jammed down everyones throats.
What this guy said.

We tend to gravitate towards extremes every now and then. After the civil rights and the segregation of the 60's, the new "fad' and the new extreme is diversity.

I think in some years you will realize that if you really hold every man equal, regardless of race, in all aspects, that there would then be no difference from moving into a mixed neighborhood than moving into an all-white neighborhood; I mean we're all just people, right?

But, if you are asking for diversity, does that mean that you yourself are black, hispanic, or asian, and are looking for a friendly white neighborhood to move in? In which case I would respond sarcastically "Can't you just let the whites be?" I mean really, after minorities move in, it will eventually (if it continues) drive out the whites anyways, leaving you with nothing similar to the neighborhood you remembered arriving in.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:16 PM

16 posts, read 36,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfeathers View Post
Hello! Looks like the original poster only posted once..and never came back!
I know when we moved in to Oconomowoc, we had a Welcome Wagon visit..does that still exist? If so, and they haven't contacted you, contact them! My neighbors did that, and ended up joining a great group (Newcomer's Club) and developed lots of friends! Or find other 'groups' to join, like the bookstore's book club for example, etc.
If you were my new neighbor, I would have baked you cookies! )
Welcome!
I actually do something similar to this in Waukesha, to welcome new waukesha residents. I have coupons to local business and I always bring cookies and cleaning supplies. I like to get to know new residents and make them feel welcomed.

Dan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin