Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2022, 01:25 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,571,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManApplet View Post
I call total BS on the snap idea. I' assume your over all cred is similarly based.

I searched 'picture ID to use a SNAP card' which I cut from your text.

and the first hit was https://ask.usda.gov/s/article/Do-I-...nefit-Transfer

Funny that the second hit is 'Republicans Want Photo ID Requirement For Food Stamps ...'

So I guess you heard an idea, wished it to become true and then made it part of your 'reality'
But you DO need a photo ID to initially obtain a SNAP card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2022, 03:07 PM

7,259 posts, read 5,131,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
I’m not a Democrat or on the left (a lot of progressives are wacky these days), but I’m definitely not a Republican - and I have no problem admitting that the Democrats in states like Illinois and Maryland use gerrymandering to their advantage; and that is essentially a form of corruption (which should end).

In that regard, I view the Republican Party in Wisconsin to be as corrupt as the Democrats in Illinois. This state is so gerrymandered that the Democrats receive tens of thousands of more votes (cumulatively) than the Republicans in state races, and the Republicans still hold significant majorities.

The gerrymandering paired with the corruption and mismanagement during the Walker administration makes me very suspicious of anything the Republicans in this state say. So while I think claims of voter suppression by the left are exaggerated, I would pay close attention. In the future - they might not be.
The purpose of districting is to give more accurate & appropriate representation in the legislature to more localized constituencies...Don't conflate party preferences to the total state with local representation...Another example from IL-- 10 y/a, Quinn (D) won the gubernatorial election with a majority of votes, yet won only one county of the 104 in the state. This is why our founders went with the Electoral College system-- a direct decendent of the Roman system of voting by tribes. This prevents a particular large, unified tribe from controlling the outcome of elections ( as Cook Co, IL controls state wide elections there.)

Here, Madison & Milwaukee have large Dem voting blocks that would outweigh all other voters opinions in the whole state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
So what you’re saying is the Wisconsin Republicans are slightly less corrupt than Illinois Democrats.

Illinois can be number one for corruption and Wisconsin can be number two. Sounds about right.
Please document any case in WI where gerrymandering actually affected the outcome of an election. Dem voters here seem to be fairly well self-gerrymandered in Dane, Milw, Racine & Kenosha counties. To split those up would only serve tro put more dem votes into GOP districts....The call to change things seems to be the yelp of the wounded cur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin