U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-15-2021, 08:28 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4,094 posts, read 2,312,553 times
Reputation: 3418

Advertisements

ManApplet,

You did NOT just say, "za" to reference a PIZZA!!!!

I need to get you involved in my FaceBook group on Chicago Pizzas.

That whole "ZA" thing blew UP on that page, in the last couple of days!!!!!

As far as driving those streets in Chicago, you pay for gas, I'll do the driving!!!! My tours are awesome!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-15-2021, 08:35 AM
 
Location: Wisco Disco
1,494 posts, read 664,618 times
Reputation: 2283
I did type za I was unaware it has any connotations/denotations. I do not need any tour. I already lived it. But thank your the kind offer. I will pass off your tour invitation to Leslie. Is Febos (famous for nothing) still around? Take her there. Prolly the fun places are gone, gaffers, OJ's, Mothers, Sweenie's Booze n Bits (warm beer, cold women and lousy food) . .... TNTC
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2021, 09:16 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4,094 posts, read 2,312,553 times
Reputation: 3418
ManApplet, I just asked my co-worker here if she ever uses the term, "za." And when she said: YES, I had to take an immediate break in a quiet place....

I will accept Leslie as my tour guest, provided the term, "za" is never used! I'm just kidding. But I do swear that on my FaceBook group, there ARE some people that seem to lose their minds at the sound of it, for some reason!!!


I looked up Febos. Apparently it IS closed. And I honestly do not recognize any of the places you named, believe it or not. Perhaps we hang out in different circles.

Perhaps you like warm beer and lousy women/Perhaps I like lousy women and warm food.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2021, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Kronenwetter Wisconsin
773 posts, read 512,433 times
Reputation: 1744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
ManApplet, I just asked my co-worker here if she ever uses the term, "za." And when she said: YES, I had to take an immediate break in a quiet place....

I will accept Leslie as my tour guest, provided the term, "za" is never used! I'm just kidding. But I do swear that on my FaceBook group, there ARE some people that seem to lose their minds at the sound of it, for some reason!!!


I looked up Febos. Apparently it IS closed. And I honestly do not recognize any of the places you named, believe it or not. Perhaps we hang out in different circles.

Perhaps you like warm beer and lousy women/Perhaps I like lousy women and warm food.

Spending my 1st 33 years in Chicago and now living in Wisconsin I cringe when someone refers to pizza as ZA. And yes, I am on the same Facebook page. Also can't stand when someone refers to it as Chi-town. The pizza page has me craving Chicago pizza. I told my hubby we are going down for a long weekend to eat pizza and Mexican food. He also wants Polish food. LOL.

Anyway, we are about 90 minutes from Green Bay. We venture over there to hit up Woodmans. We also go to Appleton for the same reason. I do like Victoria's in Appleton for Italian food. Portions so big you get 2-3 meals out of it. They use to have one in Green Bay but it closed. I went to UWGB as an adult learner. I would go to class on Saturdays. But that was 15 years ago. Also like shopping at Fresh Thyme and stopping at Seroogy's for chocolate.

Last time we were in Green Bay we ate at Chili Johns, again for the memory. It was still good but now it is in the casino.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2021, 02:17 PM
 
Location: SE WI
660 posts, read 655,455 times
Reputation: 1772
Based on the posts so far, perhaps we can conclude that there are really no "cool things to see in Green Bay"....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2021, 02:31 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4,094 posts, read 2,312,553 times
Reputation: 3418
TRlaura, yes there is: Prime Quarters Steak House!

Although I, myself, never went to that location!

Oh, come on! You know me! I go south; not north!

The other thing is I am NOT a sports fan. But I imagine for football bans, Green Bay would be a " Mecca" of sorts.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2021, 05:13 PM
 
Location: Wisco Disco
1,494 posts, read 664,618 times
Reputation: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieKay56 View Post
Spending my 1st 33 years in Chicago and now living in Wisconsin I cringe when someone refers to pizza as ZA. And yes, I am on the same Facebook page. Also can't stand when someone refers to it as Chi-town. The pizza page has me craving Chicago pizza. I told my hubby we are going down for a long weekend to eat pizza and Mexican food. He also wants Polish food. LOL.

Anyway, we are about 90 minutes from Green Bay. We venture over there to hit up Woodmans. We also go to Appleton for the same reason. I do like Victoria's in Appleton for Italian food. Portions so big you get 2-3 meals out of it. They use to have one in Green Bay but it closed. I went to UWGB as an adult learner. I would go to class on Saturdays. But that was 15 years ago. Also like shopping at Fresh Thyme and stopping at Seroogy's for chocolate.

Last time we were in Green Bay we ate at Chili Johns, again for the memory. It was still good but now it is in the casino.
Ever have the 'presidential platter' at Victoria's? Had it at the former GB location. That is a big ocean of sea food. Their house red was Cribari Chianti which Chris sold to me in the gallons out the back door when I left. Inexpensive and good table wine.

La Tanquerias (sp?) on Halsted st Bridgeport. Family storefront type, the kids served you, mom cooked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
ManApplet, I just asked my co-worker here if she ever uses the term, "za." And when she said: YES, I had to take an immediate break in a quiet place....

I will accept Leslie as my tour guest, provided the term, "za" is never used! I'm just kidding. But I do swear that on my FaceBook group, there ARE some people that seem to lose their minds at the sound of it, for some reason!!!


I looked up Febos. Apparently it IS closed. And I honestly do not recognize any of the places you named, believe it or not. Perhaps we hang out in different circles.

Perhaps you like warm beer and lousy women/Perhaps I like lousy women and warm food.

They might have all been before your time. Late 70's early 80's.

Chicago : Febo (closed) via Planet99 https://www.facebook.com/53071866698...1834785541772/ I requested garlic powder from the waitstaff and the chef/owner brought me out a small bowl of minced garlic in olive oil. My date was very entertained

Sweeny's off rush street enter via the alley they pick their own mottos https://www.pinterest.com/pin/580823683199018504/ They had weekday specials like all the tacos you can eat, and oysters on the half 6 for $1 back in the day. As young men we did them some damage



I think it was Gaffers that played 'celebrate' at midnight everyday and all the near north neighbors piled in at 11:45 had a drink, sang & danced and went back to where ever after dancing to the song. Every night without fail, even if the joint was baron before. [Search domain facebook.com] https://www.facebook.com › groups › 304934670197

How about Ricobene's tucked under the Stevenson north end of Bridgeport. Now that was some good eats.

and don't even get me started on the north side, Clark st, Lincoln ave ... the Ravenswood el stations neighborhoods

fun times
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2021, 07:26 AM
 
Location: Kronenwetter Wisconsin
773 posts, read 512,433 times
Reputation: 1744
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManApplet View Post
Ever have the 'presidential platter' at Victoria's? Had it at the former GB location. That is a big ocean of sea food. Their house red was Cribari Chianti which Chris sold to me in the gallons out the back door when I left. Inexpensive and good table wine.

La Tanquerias (sp?) on Halsted st Bridgeport. Family storefront type, the kids served you, mom cooked.

They might have all been before your time. Late 70's early 80's.

Chicago : Febo (closed) via Planet99 https://www.facebook.com/53071866698...1834785541772/ I requested garlic powder from the waitstaff and the chef/owner brought me out a small bowl of minced garlic in olive oil. My date was very entertained

Sweeny's off rush street enter via the alley they pick their own mottos https://www.pinterest.com/pin/580823683199018504/ They had weekday specials like all the tacos you can eat, and oysters on the half 6 for $1 back in the day. As young men we did them some damage



I think it was Gaffers that played 'celebrate' at midnight everyday and all the near north neighbors piled in at 11:45 had a drink, sang & danced and went back to where ever after dancing to the song. Every night without fail, even if the joint was baron before. [Search domain facebook.com] https://www.facebook.com › groups › 304934670197

How about Ricobene's tucked under the Stevenson north end of Bridgeport. Now that was some good eats.

and don't even get me started on the north side, Clark st, Lincoln ave ... the Ravenswood el stations neighborhoods

fun times

I will have to look for that at Victorias. I had been to the one in Green Bay when it was in the hotel.
I grew up in Rogers Park in Chicago so very familiar with the north side and Clark St.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2021, 07:37 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4,094 posts, read 2,312,553 times
Reputation: 3418
ManApplet, good morning.

Ricobene's is definitely still there I have never had it. But I think one of the crazes there is their breaded porkchop sandwich.

Go ahead and represent that Clark Street. EllieKay56 is on your team, with that one!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2021, 02:17 PM
 
Location: Wisco Disco
1,494 posts, read 664,618 times
Reputation: 2283
I used to play hockey at Rainbo ice rink on clark - among other things. Back in the day the big deal was Ricobene beef sandwiches w/wo sauces, hot or sweet peppers. You were standing on the sidewalk they served out of a large counter window. Walk up and get one in 30 seconds ... after you waited in line if there was one. pay one person get handed the sammich by the next. They moved a lot of sammiches fast. If you were taking your time thinking about what to order they would tell you step back and let a few people ahead of you. Everybody was double parked out front, like most of Bridgeport
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top