U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2022, 10:33 PM

4,313 posts, read 4,213,241 times

Advertisements

I’ve learned of two amazing Wisconsin attractions that I’m ready to make a road trip north to see (in warmer weather of course!) Although they don’t have the national notariety of places like The Dells, it sure seems that they should.
First: The House on the Rock (Spring Green) was highly recommended by two people I know who visited there last year. Why aren’t more people talking about this amazing place? I see no threads on CD discussing it. And second: Dr. Evermor’s Sculpture Park (Sauk County) was featured on an Amazon Prime documentary series about fascinating homes that are works of art. Can’t wait to see it in person. Would love input from anyone who has been to these places, including nearby lodging recommendations.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2022, 06:55 AM

773 posts, read 511,681 times
Unless it has changed since we were there The House on the Rock is okay. It was dirty and dark and smelled musty. Maybe they have upgraded it since then. The Infinity Room, parts of it were blocked off and with the tree growth it is not as cool as it once was. Lots of uneven walking, cobblestones, narrow passages.

Old 01-03-2022, 01:30 PM

85 posts, read 57,949 times
I would also highly suggest a trip up to Door County. I go there at least once a year in the Summer and for someone who has never been it is amazing. The Dells I gave up on long ago, but now that I have kids of my own I am sure that my sentiment on the place is about to be reimagined.

Old 01-03-2022, 01:44 PM

25,206 posts, read 43,105,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
I’ve learned of two amazing Wisconsin attractions that I’m ready to make a road trip north to see (in warmer weather of course!) Although they don’t have the national notariety of places like The Dells, it sure seems that they should.
First: The House on the Rock (Spring Green) was highly recommended by two people I know who visited there last year. Why aren’t more people talking about this amazing place? I see no threads on CD discussing it. And second: Dr. Evermor’s Sculpture Park (Sauk County) was featured on an Amazon Prime documentary series about fascinating homes that are works of art. Can’t wait to see it in person. Would love input from anyone who has been to these places, including nearby lodging recommendations.
Going Up North in the winter is much nicer IMHO, far less tourists and nice powder snow. I'm glad the cold air deters most of the city people.

Old 01-04-2022, 07:30 AM

659 posts, read 654,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
Because man made attractions are rarely attractive vs. natural attractions. Wearing a mask at The House was needed many years before the pandemic. I barely lasted a 1/2 hour there.

Old 01-04-2022, 08:40 AM

4,091 posts, read 2,308,547 times
1greatcity, Happy New Year!

I am born and raised in Milwaukee.

I went to the House on the Rock when I was, like 16. And then a good 30 years later, I went back this summer. Wow, did it bring back memories. We even took some pictures with the same kinds of poses that we did 30 years ago.

I would definitely recommend it in the late spring or summer, so you can also see the beautiful flowers in the Japanese Garden outside.

If you need some cool things to see in Cook County and Lake County in Illinois, please let me know. I spend a lot of time there.

Old 08-11-2022, 11:14 PM

4,633 posts, read 2,158,212 times
I've never confirmed this, but I think the main cell block in the Waupun Prisin might be Wisconsin's oldest building still regularly in use for its original purpose. It's easily visible from the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin