U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2022, 10:03 AM

6,359 posts, read 3,557,639 times

Advertisements

We moved out of Jeff when I was in grammar school to Deerfield and played basketball in Highwood-- Late 50s/early 60s. It was almost all Italian in those days. I haven't been back in 40 yrs.....

We're west of The Dells now....We went for a doc's visit at the hosp the other day. Part of the CoV protocol, they asked if we'd been out of the country in the last six months?...:"We haven't even been off our property for the last two months." I answered, so, no, I'm not familiar with anythng in Kenosha.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2022, 10:11 AM

4,094 posts, read 2,309,722 times
guidoLaMoto, you DEFINITELY, then, saw Highwood in its real Italian Hey Day, then. Ahhhhh, I wish I could have been there, then! I only discovered Highwood in 2018, but visit often. You better get back there and visit!!

The Dells is a nice area!!!! I'm glad you found a good place to be.

Stay safe. Stay healthy. Stay happy.

Old 02-08-2022, 02:06 PM

14,030 posts, read 21,226,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Shouldn't you have said "What are some good stores so I don't have to shop at Costco?"

Now that you're about to become a Country Bumpkin Cheesehead, you're supposed to grow your own. Get with the program!

Welcome to WI. We're originally from Jefferson Park. My grandfather mixed most of the concrete that went into building the neighborhood 100 yrs ago.
Aha, that's awesome. Jefferson Park is nice. Better than many other areas around Chicagom Schools are nice too for being cps.

Old 02-08-2022, 03:08 PM

773 posts, read 511,869 times
If you have a Festival Foods close they are good. I'm in central WI and they recently took over Trigs and I really like shopping there. Also like Pick N Save or Metro Market. They are both owned by Kroger but different names.

Old 02-08-2022, 03:31 PM

I love you former Chicagoans moving up here to Wisconsin, when I'm the one considering moving TO Chicago!!!

Incidentally, wy did you all want to leave Chicago? And what made you pick Wisconsin??,

Old 02-08-2022, 04:16 PM

5,329 posts, read 2,906,662 times
When I lived in Kenosha people came for cheaper real estate and overall COL, less crowded, better schools, more parks and not sure how property taxes compare. Tenuta’s in Kenosha is awesome for specialty items, wine,etc.

Old 02-08-2022, 05:45 PM

16,670 posts, read 6,509,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
glass_of_merlot, welcome to Wisconsin!
Second this. Wisconsin is full of nice people, and I am sure that glass_of_merlot will add to their number!

Old 02-08-2022, 10:28 PM

Teacher Terry, thank you for backing up Tenutas Deli. I believe they have a restaurant nearby, in Kenosha?

Or, certainly there is one in Racine, and another in my city of Milwaukee.

I have been to those 2, and definitely recommend the Milwaukee one, as it is a much more old school neighborhood, homey, and quieter atmosphere.

Old 02-08-2022, 10:31 PM

katharsis, good job backing up the warmth of many Wisconsinites.

And that was a very nice welcoming you gave to glass_of_merlot.

I must add this, however: despite the MANY negative comments I have heard Milwaukeeans say about Chicago, Chicago is a beautiful place with beautiful people.

And no disrespect, but I prefer a glass_of_cabernet.

Old 02-09-2022, 09:58 AM

773 posts, read 511,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
I love you former Chicagoans moving up here to Wisconsin, when I'm the one considering moving TO Chicago!!!

Incidentally, wy did you all want to leave Chicago? And what made you pick Wisconsin??,
I was raised in Rogers Park. When we got married we bought a house by Monticello and Berteau. My mom was from central Wisconsin. After my grandparents died, my mom had bought the farm house and land. We decided to move up here. My brother, who still lives in Chicago (Addison and Harlem) owns the farm. My sisters and I split the land.

We moved here because it was cheaper. We moved in 1987. I don't miss the traffic in Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin