U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2022, 11:12 AM

4,125 posts, read 7,367,983 times

Advertisements

What about Sturgeon Bay?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2022, 05:01 PM

8,740 posts, read 7,953,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Doesn't East Lansing have everything Madison has minus Lake Mendota and Lake Monona?
Unfortunately, no…

Lansing is the capital and it’s not connected to MSU like State Street is in Madison. East Lansing is really just a college and a top notch party school. Let’s just say game days were exciting. Dropping my kids off at preschool and frats were already on their rooftop couches drinking! Lol

It sorely lacks the diversity of government and industry that Madison has. It feels substantially more rural. I can’t tell you the disappointment I experienced my first visit when my husband had accepted a professorship. Also it’s a lot more cloudy. Had no idea how many more cloudy days MI experiences compared to anywhere in the country and except the PNW. Except here the clouds have lots of texture and move, and is quite dynamic and lovely. Not a dull grey smothering blanket like in MI.

However I did experience a wonder social life. Because it was smaller and more intimate. I readily made friends with other faculty wives and had truly delightful volunteer opportunities supporting students families and international students.

Hands down I choose WI over MI.

Old 03-24-2022, 02:01 PM

1,771 posts, read 1,351,000 times
Wisconsin, generally, is a great place for people who straddle Left and Right views politically. You'll get salt of the earth people who value the environment and handle their business. And they hunt, fish and usually drink beer.

I've spent a lot of time up there, and my son lived there for many years. It's quite cold, noticeably colder than Chicago even. So it's for the hearty. People are generally friendly but not overly so. There's also a lot of local pride.

Madison is an island inside of this that is very different. I love the city, beautiful, tons of the coffee and bookstore stuff you want. Also, a very liberal college city. That said, it's less liberal as some Chicago neighborhoods on the north side. And completely tame compared to a place like Portland, OR. The liberal in Madison is more "college liberal" that has spread a bit around. There is nothing like West Coast liberal anywhere else.

Old 03-31-2022, 12:49 PM

246 posts, read 297,890 times
If you don't like the politics in Portland and Seattle Madison is just as bad just saying.....

Old 03-31-2022, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstef View Post
If you don't like the politics in Portland and Seattle Madison is just as bad just saying.....
No doubt Madison is liberal, but so is Austin, TX (where I went to college). I enjoy liberal college towns because when it comes to social values I do lean liberal. I believe in personal freedoms... I think about the environment... but I'm just not over-the-top about it. It's really not my business how other people live their lives and I don't think it's anyone's business how I live mine. I apply the "Golden Rule".

So it's not like I want to avoid all liberal communities. Just the crazy ones and I don't think most of the country's liberal centers, including Madison, compare to either Portland and Seattle.

Perhaps a good litmus test is this:

1) How many Madison stores and businesses were gutted, robbed and vandalized and how many roads were shut down due to "protestors" in summers of 2020 and 2021?

2) Did the police ever have to vacate a precent due to rioters?

3) Did a portion of Madison get taken over by citizen protestors so that not even first responders could approach and help in emergency situations like gun and knife violence?

4) Has Hilldale Mall received a riot?

5) Did the city council actually defund Madison's police department?

6) Did the State of Wisconsin pass police laws in 2020 and 2021 that have led to record high crime and violence in 2021 and 2022?

I mean, that's the bar that Seattle/WA and Portland/OR set. It's pretty high. I just don't think Madison quite reaches it

Old 04-05-2022, 06:23 PM

9 posts, read 8,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
No doubt Madison is liberal, but so is Austin, TX (where I went to college). I enjoy liberal college towns because when it comes to social values I do lean liberal. I believe in personal freedoms... I think about the environment... but I'm just not over-the-top about it. It's really not my business how other people live their lives and I don't think it's anyone's business how I live mine. I apply the "Golden Rule".

So it's not like I want to avoid all liberal communities. Just the crazy ones and I don't think most of the country's liberal centers, including Madison, compare to either Portland and Seattle.

1) How many Madison stores and businesses were gutted, robbed and vandalized and how many roads were shut down due to "protestors" in summers of 2020 and 2021?

3) Did a portion of Madison get taken over by citizen protestors so that not even first responders could approach and help in emergency situations like gun and knife violence?

6) Did the State of Wisconsin pass police laws in 2020 and 2021 that have led to record high crime and violence in 2021 and 2022?

I mean, that's the bar that Seattle/WA and Portland/OR set. It's pretty high. I just don't think Madison quite reaches it
You’ve pretty accurately described events in Madison, especially on State Street, in the immediate aftermath of the George Floyd incident.

Old 04-06-2022, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiMKE View Post
You’ve pretty accurately described events in Madison, especially on State Street, in the immediate aftermath of the George Floyd incident.
Most liberal places had some disruption but Seattle and Portland went overboard.

Old 04-07-2022, 07:13 PM

1,771 posts, read 1,351,000 times
I consider myself somewhat liberal. I could NEVER live in Portland, Seattle, or San Francisco.

Chicago, while certainly Democrat, isn't the same kind of liberal. It's more of a tribal thing. Hard to describe and nothing like the west coast.

Madison is a lovely city dominated by a huge university and yes, it's very liberal. But 1) it's cold, and you aren't going to see tent cities all over the place like you do in the mild climates of the PNW, 2) it's still the midwest, just not the same, 3) it's in Wisconsin, which is a purple state overall, not a super liberal one like Washington or California. Night and Day.

So yeah, you'll still get patches of crunchy stuff and people marching about something because, well, it's a liberal college town. But it's not the same. And it's easier to escape it when needed.

Old 04-08-2022, 01:38 PM

41,488 posts, read 33,768,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post

1 re protestors and stores = zero
2 no
3 no
4 riots have nothing to do with political alignment, far right media and far right websites such as city data conflate 1st amendment peaceful protest with riots and vandalism, they haven't been linked except in right wing "news" sources
5 no
6 no

Last edited by timberline742; 04-08-2022 at 01:47 PM..

Old 04-08-2022, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
1 re protestors and stores = zero
2 no
3 no
4 riots have nothing to do with political alignment, far right media and far right websites such as city data conflate 1st amendment peaceful protest with riots and vandalism, they haven't been linked except in right wing "news" sources
5 no
6 no
#4... We have a nice mall on the Eastside (of Seattle). Bellevue. Blew all of us suburbanites minds when it got looted by a bunch of kids. I don't think there were even protestors in the technical sense. [url]https://komonews.com/news/local/determined-to-wreak-havoc-bellevue-looting-was-organized-event-police-say[/url]

So not really a discussion of political alignment at all. No right. No left. But certainly these kids took advantage of the situation.

It would have been like Hilldale Mall getting looted. That's where that question came from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin