U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2022, 07:40 AM
sub

4,627 posts, read 2,751,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
1 re protestors and stores = zero
2 no
3 no
4 riots have nothing to do with political alignment, far right media and far right websites such as city data conflate 1st amendment peaceful protest with riots and vandalism, they haven't been linked except in right wing "news" sources
5 no
6 no
Most of the riots were indeed political, one does not have to go to any "far right websites" or news outlest to know that.
Unless, perhaps, the definition of "far right" is anything whatsoever that a left-winger disagrees with, gets offended by, or the very existence of one human being on the right side of the political spectrum.
That's actually my guess because I didn't realize just how much genuine far-left extremism there was in this country until I came across city-data. These days they seem to be outnumbered a bit over on the political forums, but that hardly makes this a far-right website.
For those who need an echo chamber to feel safe and less paranoid, there are plenty of other social media outlets that will gladly accommodate them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2022, 10:13 AM

18,945 posts, read 18,262,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Most of the riots were indeed political, one does not have to go to any "far right websites" or news outlest to know that.
Unless, perhaps, the definition of "far right" is anything whatsoever that a left-winger disagrees with, gets offended by, or the very existence of one human being on the right side of the political spectrum.
That's actually my guess because I didn't realize just how much genuine far-left extremism there was in this country until I came across city-data. These days they seem to be outnumbered a bit over on the political forums, but that hardly makes this a far-right website.
For those who need an echo chamber to feel safe and less paranoid, there are plenty of other social media outlets that will gladly accommodate them.
I agree. I had to laugh when the poster referred to CD as a right wing site.

I guess to them democratic undergound is a middle of the road site, lol

Old 04-17-2022, 11:30 AM

2,449 posts, read 3,486,981 times
Madison (while silly) is nowhere near as dysfunctional as urban PNW in general. Wisconsin and Madison are still dominated by a midwest work ethic and common sense.

I have lived here in Portland area for over a decade now. Raised in Madison and worked, raised a family in Milwaukee area for decades. I believe I can speak from experience by now.

I say with confidence that the political difference between PNW and Midwest can be summed up this way:

A Republican in PNW would, for most part, be considered a Democrat in Midwest and the Democrat in the PNW is just batsh&t crazy.

On it's worst day, Madison is 10 times nicer that what this place has become thanks to dysfuctional and incorrect liberal Democrat thought.

Old 06-07-2022, 10:40 AM

4,125 posts, read 7,367,983 times
What about Bailey's Harbor, Door County? There is a nice Catholic Church there, and its beautiful. There are lots of coffee shops in Door County so if anyone wanted a job they are crying for people. I bet you could even establish one. Its often cool or cold there and coffee is popular. There are some beautiful homes there and some are even being built that would be in your price range. You could look in other places in Door county too.

Old 06-13-2022, 07:50 AM

5,298 posts, read 5,474,716 times
I don’t know details, but a friend of mine visits their grandparents in Cedarburg often and they love the town.

Old 06-20-2022, 02:50 PM

773 posts, read 511,869 times
Make sure you also visit Holy Hill. It is so peaceful there.

Old 06-21-2022, 03:33 PM

3,330 posts, read 2,498,153 times
If you happen to return, don't ever make a mistake of voting a Democrat.

Old 06-21-2022, 05:29 PM

4,094 posts, read 2,309,722 times
YES to Cedarburg!

YES to Holy Hill!!

I don't really get political. But I think I follow what he's saying!!!

Old 07-14-2022, 09:02 AM

46 posts, read 59,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
I'm vaguely planning on returning to the midwest from the Seattle area in 3 years. My husband and I will be in our mid to later 40's, financially independent and bringing along our mildly autistic young adult son that intends to be employable as a biomedical device technician (he will have completed a technical college AA program in this field).

-I don't have much of a relationship with my extended family, but both sides were from Racine and I still have kin around SE and central WI. I could probably reconnect if I got reestablished (and indeed this would be a wonderful thing).

-I lived in Madison for three years while my husband was finishing up grad school. This was 15 years ago... I figured out Madison has changed a lot as I passed through in January 2020 on my way to my mom's memorial service. I don't know if it's too big for us though. Seattle has always been bigger and the changes here have been similar but even more pronounced.

-I will say that I loved my time in Madison and it was hard to leave (especially for East Lansing MI). It had everything I enjoyed... coffee shops, academic and diverse population (at least near the university), I had a couple family members that I'd see on occasion, not too busy... but not boring either... easy access to enjoying the outdoors...

Other reasons to move to WI:

-I'm really fed up with the west coast politics. The major cities like Seattle and Portland have allowed for literal FILTH to overtake the streets. It had been a number of years since I drove down to Oregon and we had to go this weekend it was unbelievable how much it had degraded. I'm sure people feel the same when they come to Seattle... we've all become desensitized to it... in another forum I described it as Wall-E apocalyptic hellhole under the overpasses with mentally ill drug addicts literally getting onto the interstates.

Everybody will agree it's a huge, complicated problem and everybody will agree that it's only getting worse.

-climate change. West coast is increasingly making the news because of our wildfires and smoke. Last year my neighborhood reached 117 degrees, which I learned is the all time high temperature of Las Vegas (Like, WTH? that shouldn't be possible). Our meteorological winter (defined by rain) ended abruptly about three weeks too early and we are warming up.. basically we are gearing up for yet another brutal summer. Models show the west coast as a climate change refuge, and that maybe true for much of the year, but living in smoke for several months and worrying about the fires in the urban/wildland interface zones (where I have my properties) makes me nervous. I would rather move further east and deal with four seasons, humidity but not have the intense risks associated with the smoke and fire.

-wealth management. WI doesn't have estate or heir taxes. WA's estate taxes start at something like $2 or $2.5m which, in this era of home value escalation, means people with paid-off desirable homes will have to pay estate taxes if they die.

What I'm looking for:

-We're Catholics. I'm looking for a community that has a nice, little parish or two. I'm not a fan of large churches.

-Coffee shops. I work as a barista purely because I love the coffee industry and coffee shops. Who knows.. I might even continue to work as a barista or even buy a coffee shop (or make my own).

-A place where my son can find employment. Shouldn't be too hard given his field.

-Places to walk outdoors. Even in the winter would be great.

-Independent bookstores.. I get my books through the library system, but like coffee shops, independent bookstores usually indicate nice, quaint communities that are enjoyable.

What's not as important:

-affordability. We can tolerate some pretty steep prices now. I would prefer to keep my housing to under $1m. (Actually under $500k is most preferred). We like modest living. Either a 3 bedroom home or condo would be fine. We live in 1500 sq ft townhome and it's great.

-jobs. If my husband is still working he'll be working remotely.

-shopping. We are not big consumers.
Madison is the best place for your description...by far. Especially for the field your son plans to work in, Madison is one of the counties biomedical research centers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin