Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2022, 07:08 AM

5,749 posts, read 3,516,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snerk View Post
... had a huge family. I'm sure you'd recognize the name.
Vande Zande?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2022, 12:05 PM

2,796 posts, read 938,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Vande Zande?

Starts with an S, ends with a B...there are a lot of them.

Old 02-27-2022, 04:57 AM

This thread was an interesting experiment --- I'm glad I tries it. Maybe we can have more similar threads.

Old 02-27-2022, 05:10 AM

7,112 posts, read 4,950,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
It has been 京都 (Northern Capital) for 700 years. The name when respelled, in Romanization, differently according to which western powers control that world. Don't forget, it was Beiiping back in the 60s. Chinese is not a single unified spoken language, and all words are pronounced differently in Taiwan, Hong Kong and Shanghai, but remain the same word with the same meaning. . Think of words as being analogous to numbers. "63" means the same, whether spelled sixty-three, soixante-trois, or drei-und-sechzig.

By the way, I was looking for your own personal impressions of Waupun, not a Google link to somebody else's. When you see the name, what picture pops into your mind? What would it be like to live or visit or pass through?
I thought perhaps you would be interested in the derivation of the name of the town, and, as an aside, on how names are often misrepresented in their spelling when transliterated into a different language....I apparently over estimated your level of curiosity, not to mention your sense of humor...Sorry. I won't let it happen again.

Old 02-27-2022, 07:48 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,664,648 times
Can't really say I've really 'been' there beyond just passing through on 151. May have stopped for gas or something along the highway.
It seems like a nice enough part of the state, not that there are many bad parts anyway.

Since it doesn't appear to have a strong reputation one way or the other, my first assumption is that it's probably a pretty good place.
After trolling around on street view for a minute, Waupun looks to be quintessentially Wisconsin: clean, tidy, nice little downtown. Home prices are in line with similar areas meaning it's affordable compared to the national average.
The kind of place that makes me wonder why people who complain about the crowds and crime and other quirks of the sunbelt don't just throw on a coat and move on up this way. Probable best not too many of them do that, or else those positive traits would go out the window.

Old 02-27-2022, 09:48 AM

4,608 posts, read 3,152,103 times
guidoLaMoto, are you suggesting that some of the FUN was overlooked on this forum?!?

LOL

Old 02-27-2022, 09:52 AM

4,608 posts, read 3,152,103 times
The only thing I ever knew about Waupun was the prison.

Many years ago my brother told me his friend moved to Wausau.

And I had asked if that's where there was a prison (confusing Wausau for Waupun).

And he replied, "Wausau?!?... You must be thinking of WARSAW!"

Old 02-27-2022, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
I thought perhaps you would be interested in the derivation of the name of the town, and, as an aside, on how names are often misrepresented in their spelling when transliterated into a different language....I apparently over estimated your level of curiosity, not to mention your sense of humor...Sorry. I won't let it happen again.
My second paragraph was directed several other posters. not at you. Sorry if I did not make that clearer.

Old 02-28-2022, 12:27 PM

8,275 posts, read 22,982,654 times
I think it's a very neat town, awesome looking prison, I love the Waupun Truck-N-Show where semi-trucks drive down main street and they shut the lights off and all the semi trucks light theirs up a very neat event I highly recommend. A bit of history about the End of the Trail sculpture is located in Waupun, I don't know how they landed that since it's an iconic image of the west where you see it everywhere in western states.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End_of_the_Trail_(Fraser)

https://www.waupun-wisconsin.com/wau...d-of-trail.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin