Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2022, 06:06 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,204,558 times

Advertisements

Who's the father?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2022, 06:25 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,247,544 times
ManApplet,

WHO'S the father? I'm not sure who you are referencing...

But your question made me think of the line, "No, Luke, I AM your father!'

Old 11-17-2022, 09:48 AM

2,891 posts, read 990,249 times
I'm gonna throw Il Ritrovo in Sheboygan into the recommendation mix. It's been a while since I've had one of their pizzas, but I remember them as being amazingly good.

Old 01-30-2023, 02:32 PM

38 posts, read 30,389 times
Paisan's in Madison had good pizza (RIP). Glass Nickel is OK too. Liked Pizza Pit as a kid. Not sure of their status now.

Old 01-30-2023, 06:41 PM

Philly Flash, thank you for sharing.

Are you currently in Madison? I have a brother in Waunakee. But I don't really know the Madison area for pizza very well.

Old 01-30-2023, 11:07 PM

9,976 posts, read 5,673,914 times
I had pizza from Johann's Bar & Grill in Coloma this Saturday. Another award-worthy product -- tasty, tangy, perfect ingredient ratios, perfectly cooked, perfect cracker-crisp thin crust. I'd have preferred a touch more oregano in the sauce and a touch more fennel in the sausage, but these are matters of personal taste nurtured by decades of Chicago-area regional custom. By any objective standard, this is definitely a top-tier product worth recommending without reservation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Flash View Post
Paisan's in Madison had good pizza (RIP). Glass Nickel is OK too. Liked Pizza Pit as a kid. Not sure of their status now.
Pizza Pit is a step above Toppers: priced for a college student budget and it tastes like it. It's serviceable if nothing better is around -- which I wouldn't even say about Toppers which is so bad I'd sooner drive through McDonald's -- but there's no reason to recommend Pizza Pit otherwise.

Old 10-20-2023, 01:01 PM

Happy Friday all,

I went to Tenuta's last night for a glass of wine. As I left, I saw a table with a thin crust pizza, and DID IT LOOK GOOD!!!

Today, I asked a co-worker what her favorite pizza was, in Milwaukee. She is a fan of Barbiere's. There is one near 56th and Bluemound in Wauwatosa, and there is one in South Milwaukee. I think I had been to the latter, years ago.

I am also considering Kaiser's for tonight, but possibly the Gurnee location.

ANY ONE who wants to speak on these locations, OR make a nomination of their own? ...

Old 10-20-2023, 06:28 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,204,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Happy Friday all,

I went to Tenuta's last night for a glass of wine. As I left, I saw a table with a thin crust pizza, and DID IT LOOK GOOD!!!

Today, I asked a co-worker what her favorite pizza was, in Milwaukee. She is a fan of Barbiere's. There is one near 56th and Bluemound in Wauwatosa, and there is one in South Milwaukee. I think I had been to the latter, years ago.

I am also considering Kaiser's for tonight, but possibly the Gurnee location.

ANY ONE who wants to speak on these locations, OR make a nomination of their own? ...
When I am taking notes I give extra bold font to a "did it look good" recommendation from a guy, as he was leaving, who was there to drink wine. Those news paper food columnists of yore got nuffin on the chat.

Old 10-20-2023, 09:23 PM

ManApplet, Hello!

Today, I ended up going to Balistreris on Bluemound.... All the other places I called had a loooong wait list; a good sign of those restaurants

Old 11-26-2023, 05:15 PM

9,976 posts, read 5,673,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Rocky's is a weird guilty pleasure, I guess because it reminds me of vacationing in Wisconsin in my youth I guess? Every once in a while it just hits the spot -- IF it's done right. But the last couple times I've tried it, it was borderline inedible. I guess part of their formula is to bake it to the point where the top layer of dough is still basically uncooked. Well if you don't do it just right you end up with an undercooked, gross, dough-y mess, and that's exactly what I got the last couple times I tried it.
I tried Rocky's one more time last weekend and it was depressingly bland. This has become too much of a consistent pattern to overlook any more. I don't know if my tastes have evolved or the quality of various chains I used to hold in high regard has gone down while they chase the bottom line -- I suspect a combination of both -- but a lot of places I thought were solid options in my younger days are just unpalatable now. As much as I wish I could rekindle the relationship I had with Rocky's in my teens and early 20s, it's just not going to work out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieKay56 View Post
The Petenwell Pub use to have good homemade pizza. Not sure if it still is as good.
Romano's is another choice. At one time the owner was from Chicago. This was around 10 years ago. I believe he no longer owns it. When we drive by it is always busy.
I tried Romano's last weekend. It didn't particularly taste like Chicago pizza, but it sure was priced like I was in a hipster gastro-pub in the heart of Logan Square. A 12" two-topping pizza was 21 friggin' dollars. That's within a dollar or two of what I paid for a 12-inch THREE-topping pizza AND two bottles of Spotted Cow at Goodfellas in downtown Nekoosa, and their pizza was WAY better.

I'm finding the $10 Pothole Pizza from Kwik Trip -- basically the Casey's of Wisconsin -- lands at a very appealing intersection of price, quality, and convenience if I don't feel like trekking to Nekoosa for Goodfellas or to the far fringes of Coloma for Johann's. It's not great pizza, but the quality-per-dollar ratio is substantial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin