U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2022, 08:30 PM

4,094 posts, read 2,314,335 times

Advertisements

Milwaukee City, thank you for sharing. Happy Easter.

Enzo's in Elkhorn it is, if anyone goes there. I have some family frim Elkhorn actually. But the only thing I can think of when I hear Elkhorn is: St. Patrick's Church, in that square.

What kind of pizza do you typically get at Enzo's?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2022, 09:37 AM

6,369 posts, read 3,567,091 times
The Pope always says "De gustubus non est disputandum," loosely translated is "You can't argue about tastes, Buddy."

I would imagine that most people's taste in pizza depends on their personal preferences in terms of ratio of crust/bread to amount of tomato sauce, cheese and additional toppings....I once stupidly ordered a pizza in LA and asked for "everything on it." What a surprise!

Italian pizza is nothing at all like American pizza.

I don't get out much since moving to WI, but around here (general area of The Dells) the several pizzas I've had are pretty generic, not a big improvement on store-bought frozen pizza...ChiTown Pizza in the Dells was easily the best, run by another Chicago refugee, but taxes & uncontrollable expenses there put them out of business a few years ago.

My personal preference in Chicagoland was Salerno's-- a couple locations in the near west 'burbs.

Not to change the subject, but I once mentioned to a friend, who ran a hot dog stand in the SW 'burbs, that you can't get a hot dog or an Italian beef anywhere else in the world like those in Chicago...He said the big meat suppliers ran tests hoping to expand sales, and they discovered that it was the water that made the difference...I always wondered if they used Lake Mich. water or Chicago River water for the tests?

If you just need a quick fix to satisfy a pizza Jones-- paint tomato sauce on half a hamburger bun, add cheese of type and amount to your liking, sprinkle on some oregano and any toppings you like and pop it in the toaster oven until the cheese melts. (microwave will leave the bread mushy.)

Buon appetito a tutti!

Old 04-18-2022, 10:21 AM

guidoLaMoto, Happy Easter Monday to you, paisan!

Pope Francis says that?!? LOL

In my experiences, places don't put enough tomato sauce on it, so I tend to order "a little extra tomato sauce" when I order a pizza.

I do like the Dells area, but you're right: I can't really think of any place for pizza that sticks out in my mind. Cool to know that they have/had some Chicagoans running businesses. And whenever I go there, I do strike up a lot of discussions with folks when I see them getting out/getting in a car with Illinois plates.

Now, I DO need to chastise you for naming a Chicago-area pizza place because remember, we are trying to DISprove their theory of being the one-and-onlys.

Buuuuuuuuut, since you mentioned it, I, too have had Salerno's pizza. It was on Grand Avenue, in the Barese Little Italy section of the city. I went there a couple of times with my group of friends (every summer we take 1 or 2 trips where we bring our bicycles down, and then explore the city).

Old 04-18-2022, 09:55 PM

804 posts, read 1,556,592 times
It's probably for the best that I moved out of Chicago. Or I'd probably weigh 300 pounds !

Old 04-18-2022, 10:00 PM

Jim Mac, as much as people walk and bike in Chicago, they certainly tend to maintain good shape.

You just have to eat your pizzas, and then make sure you work out.

I had my Balistreris leftovers today at work. And when I came home, I did my pullups, pushups, etc.

Old 04-27-2022, 08:35 AM

PingDriver, you GET that Rocky Rococo's, bud!!!

Old 04-27-2022, 05:02 PM

804 posts, read 1,556,592 times
Rocky Rococo's ? I'm shocked !

Old 04-27-2022, 08:47 PM

Jim Mac, when you need a fix, you get your fix!

God help me, I've walked to the corner liquor store to get a pizza puff, from time to time.

Can anyone name this comedy talk show spoof from the 1990s: "Hey. I'm sick. I need help!"

Old 04-27-2022, 08:58 PM

25,226 posts, read 43,136,720 times
I’ll have to make a stop at the Salvatore’s Monona location when I take my summer vacation to Vilas County this year.

https://www.salvatorestomatopies.com/monona-menus/

Old 04-27-2022, 09:10 PM

9,069 posts, read 4,372,710 times
Rocky's is a weird guilty pleasure, I guess because it reminds me of vacationing in Wisconsin in my youth I guess? Every once in a while it just hits the spot -- IF it's done right. But the last couple times I've tried it, it was borderline inedible. I guess part of their formula is to bake it to the point where the top layer of dough is still basically uncooked. Well if you don't do it just right you end up with an undercooked, gross, dough-y mess, and that's exactly what I got the last couple times I tried it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin