U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-15-2022, 12:45 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4,094 posts, read 2,314,335 times
Reputation: 3418

Advertisements

ManApplet, you'll have to forgive me. I had an intense day here in my own jail where I work. So I'm maybe not able to pay enough attention.

Have I been drinking?? I WISH!

So as far as the Kyle Rittenhouse trial goes, if I did NOT make it clear, what I was trying to say was merely:

I was in the court room in Kenosha on the last day of his trial, when he was found not guilty.

There's not really much more to say about that...

Hope that helps. ?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-15-2022, 05:38 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4,094 posts, read 2,314,335 times
Reputation: 3418
Last night I read post # 21 from some heathen named "dcisive". I have been seething with anger since reading it.

In fact, I doubt they even know Chicago!

Because IF this dcisive "character" was really from Chicago, they would know how awesome the city is, as a big brother city of Milwaukee!

That writer is probably claiming Chicago, when, in fact, they're probably just some prior Deerfield or Highwood resident!!

P.S. Highwood has some great Italian restaurants in case you need your fix, without needing to go as far as Chicago.

I'll be fair, and give this dcisive a chance to retract their statement about Chicago!....... pfffttttt
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2022, 06:15 PM
 
Location: RI, MA, VT, WI, IL, CA, IN (that one sucked), KY
41,515 posts, read 33,794,439 times
Reputation: 39880
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
It has it all, if that's what you're looking for....Many of us are trying to get away from that @#$%.

If you're looking for a "world class city," why not just move to a real world class city?
If you're trying to get away from arts and culture, there are no shortages of places to do that. Thats most of the U.S. Have fun.

And I meant: close to world class cities accessibility wise. Milwaukee isn't world class. Close as Wisconsin comes. Lovely place. And far far cheaper than any city that is world class. One of the huge benefits of it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2022, 06:31 PM
 
Location: A Place With REAL People
3,214 posts, read 6,325,169 times
Reputation: 4936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Last night I read post # 21 from some heathen named "dcisive". I have been seething with anger since reading it.

In fact, I doubt they even know Chicago!

Because IF this dcisive "character" was really from Chicago, they would know how awesome the city is, as a big brother city of Milwaukee!

That writer is probably claiming Chicago, when, in fact, they're probably just some prior Deerfield or Highwood resident!!

P.S. Highwood has some great Italian restaurants in case you need your fix, without needing to go as far as Chicago.

I'll be fair, and give this dcisive a chance to retract their statement about Chicago!....... pfffttttt
No chance of that. Chicago is (and has been for sometime) a sewer sanctuary city. It's only going to get worse now they are welcoming all the illegals being gifted to them from Texas. LOL. They deserve them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2022, 08:37 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4,094 posts, read 2,314,335 times
Reputation: 3418
dcisive, I have no idea who you are! But I forgive you, and shall call you "brother"
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2022, 10:28 AM
 
Location: The Driftless Area, WI
6,369 posts, read 3,567,091 times
Reputation: 15516
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
If you're trying to get away from arts and culture, there are no shortages of places to do that. Thats most of the U.S. Have fun.
I've argued this for years-- those snobs who insist they need "culture" nearby probably still think of The Lone Ranger when they hear The William Tell Overture.

How many residents of Chicago, LA, NYC , Paris, Rome etc actually go to plays, symphonies, operas? Not many, and the percentage of the total population is minute....Musea? How often can you see the dinosaurs at the Field Museum before you have it memorized? (Other than the dinosaurs, the rest of the building is a ghost town except when the grammar school kids on their field trips race thru without bothering to look at anything.) Literature, of course, is an individual activity and now with internet availability, you can get your culture anywhere you can use your computer or iPhone.

...If by "culture," you're referring to night spots with live bands, then be intellectually honest and admit you're not looking for culture, but for night life and dating opportunity....

Other intellectually stimulating activities available anywhere in WI is Public TV's daily offering of the UW's lecture series "University Place," an eclectic offering of subjects from science to art to history & lit. https://pbswisconsin.org/watch/university-place/....

...and need we mention the several art colonies and theater groups, archeological sites and nature centers & reserves we have in WI, not often available elsewhere?

Living in small town WI, one can have easy access to more cultural offerings than large cities without risking one's life or paying a week's wages for parking....but here there's no virtue signaling or chance to be seen with the In Crowd.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2022, 11:40 AM
 
Location: RI, MA, VT, WI, IL, CA, IN (that one sucked), KY
41,515 posts, read 33,794,439 times
Reputation: 39880
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
I've argued this for years-- those snobs who insist they need "culture" nearby probably still think of The Lone Ranger when they hear The William Tell Overture.

How many residents of Chicago, LA, NYC , Paris, Rome etc actually go to plays, symphonies, operas? Not many, and the percentage of the total population is minute....Musea? How often can you see the dinosaurs at the Field Museum before you have it memorized? (Other than the dinosaurs, the rest of the building is a ghost town except when the grammar school kids on their field trips race thru without bothering to look at anything.) Literature, of course, is an individual activity and now with internet availability, you can get your culture anywhere you can use your computer or iPhone.

...If by "culture," you're referring to night spots with live bands, then be intellectually honest and admit you're not looking for culture, but for night life and dating opportunity....

Other intellectually stimulating activities available anywhere in WI is Public TV's daily offering of the UW's lecture series "University Place," an eclectic offering of subjects from science to art to history & lit. https://pbswisconsin.org/watch/university-place/....

...and need we mention the several art colonies and theater groups, archeological sites and nature centers & reserves we have in WI, not often available elsewhere?

Living in small town WI, one can have easy access to more cultural offerings than large cities without risking one's life or paying a week's wages for parking....but here there's no virtue signaling or chance to be seen with the In Crowd.

Never risked my life in any large city I've lived in or visited. Rarely if ever paid for parking as there is good transit, especially in Chicago.

The rest is well, just fiction. If you don't think performance art, or domestic or international live musical performances, to be considered culture, that's just a rejection of well, the definition of the actual word "culture".

And the bolded is laughable, and everyone knows it. But hey, keep telling yourself that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2022, 01:01 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4,094 posts, read 2,314,335 times
Reputation: 3418
guidoLaMoto, your quote that "living in small town, WI offers access to more cultural offerings than large cities" was challenged as laughable.

But I am rather INTERESTED to hear your experiences!

Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2022, 02:04 PM
 
Location: The Driftless Area, WI
6,369 posts, read 3,567,091 times
Reputation: 15516
https://duckduckgo.com/?t=avast&q=sh...ater+wi&ia=web #3 on this list particularly interesting https://www.wisconsinacademy.org/mag...eare-wisconsin

3/4ths of WI's population lives within an hour's drive of Madison or Milw. for opera, art galleries & symphonies for those who feel inclined to take advantage of that. My point is that the overwhelming portion of people, even those who consider themselves intellectuals, don't go very often, if at all...

Anyone who bases their choice of home mainly on such things is pretty foolish. I should think jobs, crime rates, schools, COL, availability of goods &services would be high on the priority list and the availability of opera tickets, which you'll only use 4x a yr if you're a fanatic, would have to be very low on the list.

..and if Timberline visited Chicago and didn't realize the dangers, he's woefully naive. I wouldn't ride most subway routes alone there after 7PM on a bet....and if he doesn't pay for parking, he's not going where the opera, symphonies and museums are.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2022, 02:25 PM
 
Location: RI, MA, VT, WI, IL, CA, IN (that one sucked), KY
41,515 posts, read 33,794,439 times
Reputation: 39880
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
https://duckduckgo.com/?t=avast&q=sh...ater+wi&ia=web #3 on this list particularly interesting https://www.wisconsinacademy.org/mag...eare-wisconsin

3/4ths of WI's population lives within an hour's drive of Madison or Milw. for opera, art galleries & symphonies for those who feel inclined to take advantage of that. My point is that the overwhelming portion of people, even those who consider themselves intellectuals, don't go very often, if at all...

Anyone who bases their choice of home mainly on such things is pretty foolish. I should think jobs, crime rates, schools, COL, availability of goods &services would be high on the priority list and the availability of opera tickets, which you'll only use 4x a yr if you're a fanatic, would have to be very low on the list.

..and if Timberline visited Chicago and didn't realize the dangers, he's woefully naive. I wouldn't ride most subway routes alone there after 7PM on a bet....and if he doesn't pay for parking, he's not going where the opera, symphonies and museums are.

I actually lived in Chicago, and I'm not naive, I'm just not scared of every person of color like most on this far right forum are. I was in Chicago this spring (Im there on average once a year, incredible city. fabulous place.) and took the train multiple times past midnight, there was no reason not to.

And yes, people choose to live on jobs, and on culture, as most people actually go do things multiple nights and weekend days a week and don't want to drive an hour in a car to do it.

But hey, keep on your invented narratives that culture = museums and operas, when that is fiction. Of course, that's your thing, rejecting realities like global warming.

And congratulations on getting this thread off topic, again.

Last edited by timberline742; 09-16-2022 at 02:46 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

Ā© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top