Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2022, 05:10 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,717,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
https://duckduckgo.com/?t=avast&q=sh...ater+wi&ia=web #3 on this list particularly interesting https://www.wisconsinacademy.org/mag...eare-wisconsin

3/4ths of WI's population lives within an hour's drive of Madison or Milw. for opera, art galleries & symphonies for those who feel inclined to take advantage of that. My point is that the overwhelming portion of people, even those who consider themselves intellectuals, don't go very often, if at all...

Anyone who bases their choice of home mainly on such things is pretty foolish. I should think jobs, crime rates, schools, COL, availability of goods &services would be high on the priority list and the availability of opera tickets, which you'll only use 4x a yr if you're a fanatic, would have to be very low on the list.

..and if Timberline visited Chicago and didn't realize the dangers, he's woefully naive. I wouldn't ride most subway routes alone there after 7PM on a bet....and if he doesn't pay for parking, he's not going where the opera, symphonies and museums are.
Now THERE are some sane words spoken. Indeed anyone outside of this manner of thinking would be a single person looking for a date or action. The majority (sorry to tell you singles) already settled aren't going to look for all the other stuff you're talking about. The jobs, low crime, good schools and services are by far THE priority way beyond what some are calling so called "culture". But places like Eau Claire have plenty of that without the Madison attitudes. A very preferrable place to live in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2022, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I actually lived in Chicago, and I'm not naive, I'm just not scared of every person of color like most on this far right forum are. I was in Chicago this spring (Im there on average once a year, incredible city. fabulous place.) and took the train multiple times past midnight, there was no reason not to.

And yes, people choose to live on jobs, and on culture, as most people actually go do things multiple nights and weekend days a week and don't want to drive an hour in a car to do it.

But hey, keep on your invented narratives that culture = museums and operas, when that is fiction. Of course, that's your thing, rejecting realities like global warming.

And congratulations on getting this thread off topic, again.
You are living on borrowed time if I do say so. If you think you're not a statistic waiting to happen you are indeed delusional. But as they say, it's YOUR life just enjoy each day you have left of it.

Old 09-16-2022, 06:07 PM

41,940 posts, read 36,711,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
You are living on borrowed time if I do say so. If you think you're not a statistic waiting to happen you are indeed delusional. But as they say, it's YOUR life just enjoy each day you have left of it.
The statistics show that unless I'm involved with the drug trade or gangs, I'd be able to live many many lives without an issue in most every city, including Chicago.

I lived there. Have many good friends that have since the mid 90s. How many have had issues other than minor properties crimes? ZERO

Old 09-16-2022, 06:19 PM

4,610 posts, read 3,154,360 times
timberline742 and dcisive, I'm going to schedule a meeting of the minds, in my neighborhood of Lincoln Square... You are BOTH right.

Old 09-17-2022, 04:00 AM

7,114 posts, read 4,953,776 times
Quote:
The statistics show that unless I'm involved with the drug trade or gangs, I'd be able to live many many lives without an issue in most every city, including Chicago.

I lived there. Have many good friends that have since the mid 90s. How many have had issues other than minor properties crimes? ZERO
Perhaps you should have tagged along with me when I worked in the ER at CCH and saw the results of riding the El at night or walking in the wrong neighborhoods. Dcisive has it right-- you're just a statistic waiting to happen. Victims in total may only represent 1 in 1000, but once you are the victim, it's 100% risk.

A few yrs ago, there was a huge problem in Chi when they closed several grammar schools, forcing kids to find new paths to new schools-- The problem was that gangs control the streets and had conceded certain paths as safe zones...With the redistricting, kids were placed in great jeopardy as they had to find safe routes by trial and error....But then you've visited Chicago a couple times, so you knew that.

Where in WI do you need to take such things into consideration before you relocate?

Old 09-17-2022, 02:29 PM

6,833 posts, read 4,320,762 times
When I lived in Kenosha once a year my mom, sister and I would ride the train to Chicago for the day and shop, have lunch and see a afternoon stage show. We always walked from the train station to where we were going. Once in the 80’s we were across the street from a bank being robbed and ducked into a store as the robbers had guns and the police had arrived. We stayed inside until it was over.

We used to take the kids occasionally to the museum of Science and Industry which they loved. It was great to live in a smaller town but have a big city a hour away. We actually went to Milwaukee more often as it’s 35 minutes away. I like Milwaukee much better than Chicago.

Old 09-17-2022, 03:48 PM

41,940 posts, read 36,711,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Perhaps you should have tagged along with me when I worked in the ER at CCH and saw the results of riding the El at night or walking in the wrong neighborhoods. Dcisive has it right-- you're just a statistic waiting to happen. Victims in total may only represent 1 in 1000, but once you are the victim, it's 100% risk.

A few yrs ago, there was a huge problem in Chi when they closed several grammar schools, forcing kids to find new paths to new schools-- The problem was that gangs control the streets and had conceded certain paths as safe zones...With the redistricting, kids were placed in great jeopardy as they had to find safe routes by trial and error....But then you've visited Chicago a couple times, so you knew that.

Where in WI do you need to take such things into consideration before you relocate?
Seems you can't read.

Quote:

I lived there.
Have many good friends that have since the mid 90s. How many have had issues other than minor properties crimes? ZERO

I didn't just "visit a few times". You can't seem to help but make things up.

I could ride a car 10,000 times. 100,000. Then be in an accident and you'd be all like "you were at 100% at risk for being in a crash riding in that car." It's intellectually dishonest. But you know that.

And my mother worked at an ER at nights for a decade in the 70s/80s in Boston. It TOTALLY skewed her perception of reality. Still to this day she's everything from motorcycles to tattoos, never mind every single gun, as dangerous. She feels society has gotten way more dangerous since the 70s, when the exact opposite is true. No wonder you have no sense of reality. If you look at those riding the EL at night that actually get unlucky, and look at total ridership, the odds are astronomical against anything happening. That is what matters. Not what you 'feel". You're a prime example as why it's well known that first responders are the VERY LAST people to ask about safety. They disproportionally see the negative side of the world, and it messes with their brains.

Back to Eau Claire, good place. 650 miles round trip to Chicago. 185 miles round trip to Mnpls. So, you have to factor all those trips into your equation (unless you take trains) when deciding. For me, personally, I would expect to do each at least once a month as bigger/more desirable cultural performances skip over most other midwest cities in the area. OP may not be into that stuff though. Some people prefer television.

Last edited by timberline742; 09-17-2022 at 04:12 PM..

Old 09-17-2022, 10:57 PM

All I can say is it continues to amaze me the people out in this world that live in this fabricated bubble of unreality not facing the true ways of this world as it currently is. All one has to do is take a drive through the plethora of neighborhoods in heavily populated cities these days to see the gang activities thriving, the homeless abound and the utter filth that is becoming the heavily populated areas in particular of this country. To be in denial of the risks one faces each day is one thing, but to deny the significantly increased risks involved with travel into the areas you KNOW put your continuing to live in question is beyond absurdity let alone intelligence.

On that side note as well, Eau Claire would be a HUGE swing in the right direction from the schmutz of city big city life (Chicago in particular) and would be highly recommended. I hope for Timberline's sake his ticket isn't punched anytime soon. But he's sure increasing that opportunity.

Old 09-18-2022, 11:17 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,820,454 times
Highly entertaining (if off topic) thread last few days. Thanks all!

This forum is dead most of the time so thanks for some life.

Old 09-19-2022, 06:16 AM

4,610 posts, read 3,154,360 times
ccjarider, SPOT ON!

The Wisconsin threads (an entire State, are you serious?!?) are usually nonexistent!

Hence, I spend more time in the Illinois forums where people are ACTIVE!

dcisive will want my head for that last statement.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin