U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-25-2022, 07:49 PM
 
14,343 posts, read 13,537,665 times
Reputation: 19589

Advertisements

Interesting look at conservative vs. liberal activists, the broad view. and up close and personal.



Activists are hoping capture the state in 2022 and beyond
Throughout the twentieth century, Wisconsin was something of a laboratory for democracy. In 1919, it became the first state to ratify the Nineteenth Amendment, which gave women the right to vote. During the Depression, it created the nation’s first unemployment-insurance program; much of the New Deal, including the Social Security Act, was authored by Wisconsinites. Decades later, a Milwaukee native named Wilbur Cohen crafted the Medicare program. The state’s home-grown social-democratic tradition, which fused support for open government, public institutions, and economic equality, remained largely bipartisan.
After the Tea Party wave of 2010, conservatives won control of many state governments, including Wisconsin’s. It now became a laboratory for conservative initiatives.
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...just-difficult
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-28-2022, 03:22 PM
 
Location: Somewhere
220 posts, read 141,046 times
Reputation: 381
I don’t appreciate a mainstream source like this using what I consider at this point a pejorative phrase: “Conspiracy Theory.” I think “claim” would be a more apt term, but fairness is not to be expected from something like the New Yorker.


I think much of the left, specifically classical liberals types, did have the foresight and backbone to swallow whatever anti-Trump pride they still had, and vote against Joe “If you don’t vote for me, you ain’t black” Biden. Presidential results aside,


I’m sure it’s going to be the most tense atmosphere at polling places all over the country this November. My Conspiracy Hypothesis is that more conservative activists vote in Wisconsin while far-left activists more commonly skip voting altogether in Wisconsin
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2022, 02:04 PM
 
Location: Northern United States
792 posts, read 577,004 times
Reputation: 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannFrankenstein View Post
I don’t appreciate a mainstream source like this using what I consider at this point a pejorative phrase: “Conspiracy Theory.” I think “claim” would be a more apt term, but fairness is not to be expected from something like the New Yorker.


I think much of the left, specifically classical liberals types, did have the foresight and backbone to swallow whatever anti-Trump pride they still had, and vote against Joe “If you don’t vote for me, you ain’t black” Biden. Presidential results aside,


I’m sure it’s going to be the most tense atmosphere at polling places all over the country this November. My Conspiracy Hypothesis is that more conservative activists vote in Wisconsin while far-left activists more commonly skip voting altogether in Wisconsin
lol but conspiracy theory is the correct term for saying the election was rigged when there’s zero evidence for it. It’s complete nonsense, I’ve seen so many republicans point to maps and they’re like “see look how red it is, how is it not rigged,” because they are so childish that they don’t understand a simple fact like population density.

There’s a reason despite the numerous court filings made by republicans regarding supposed election fraud that not a single one has been taken seriously and it’s because it’s just conspiracy garbage that has no standing in the real world.

The criteria for the conspiracy that there was election fraud to be true would have to be so wide-ranging that the entire judicial system, including judges from put into those positions decades ago would have to know that trump would be running against Biden in 2020 otherwise the mechanics wouldn’t have been in place for such a wide-ranging plot against Donald trump.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2022, 09:51 AM
 
Location: The Driftless Area, WI
6,353 posts, read 3,555,012 times
Reputation: 15495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeasterner1970 View Post
lol but conspiracy theory is the correct term for saying the election was rigged when there’s zero evidence for it..
Read Hemmingway's Rigged, then get back to us.

Her contention is that the election was not stolen by cheating so much as rigged to make it unfairly influenced by illegal money, illegal voting and illegal obstructions to verify votes.

Consider the vote this week in Alaska where a new voting system allowed the Dem to win despite being the preferred party candidate by only 40% of the votes cast...The way the votes were switched by the new system, it was obviously personalities that decided the final outcome, not policies...

..Is that the way our govt should be run?...with the packaging more important than the contents of the box?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2022, 11:47 PM
 
Location: Wisco Disco
1,483 posts, read 661,462 times
Reputation: 2278
The big rig in WI involves gerrymandering and voter suppression.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2022, 01:32 AM
 
3,299 posts, read 8,965,033 times
Reputation: 2402
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Consider the vote this week in Alaska where a new voting system allowed the Dem to win despite being the preferred party candidate by only 40% of the votes cast...
If there are no significant 3rd party candidates, ranked choice works exactly the way a primary and general would work. They're mathematically equivalent.

Quote:
The way the votes were switched by the new system, it was obviously personalities that decided the final outcome, not policies..
Well sure, but that's been omnipresent in American politics for decades. People voted Kennedy because he was photogenic, people voted Bush 43 because he was the candidate they'd rather have a beer with. That doesn't have anything to do with ranked choice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2022, 03:27 AM
 
Location: The Driftless Area, WI
6,353 posts, read 3,555,012 times
Reputation: 15495
First, it's not "voter suppression.'...It's "ILLEGAL-voter suppression"-- a concept apparently abhorrent to Libs.

Secondly, In the recent AK election, the issues seemed to be the motivating factor in voting for the Dem or one of the GOP (was there a significant dif between the two GOP people on issues? Doubtful) candidates for their first choice, and as far as personalities go, Palin is either a "love here or hate her" type choice but as a second choice, why would one prefer different party over the other unless the voter is uninformed or the issues are not a concern?

You need to pass a test to get a driver's license. We should probably make a voter pass a test before they get to vote....

...I came from Chicago...If you sit in the corner bar after work and listen to the patrons commenting on the news on TV as each item comes up-- immigration, welfare reform, national defense, etc, all the comments would make you think these working stiffs are not only conservatives, but John Birchers at that...but ask them how they'll vote-- "OH! Democrat for sure ! We always vote Democrat....for generations"

What a country.

edited to add: By coincidence, this is from today's Federalist https://thefederalist.com/2022/09/02...unding-scheme/

Last edited by guidoLaMoto; 09-03-2022 at 04:24 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2022, 04:38 PM
 
Location: Wisco Disco
1,483 posts, read 661,462 times
Reputation: 2278
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
First, it's not "voter suppression.'...It's "ILLEGAL-voter suppression"-- a concept apparently abhorrent to Libs.
odd that doing it illegally isn't abhorrent to everyone, yet here you go again
Quote:
Secondly, In the recent AK election, the issues seemed to be the motivating factor in voting for the Dem or one of the GOP (was there a significant dif between the two GOP people on issues? Doubtful) candidates for their first choice, and as far as personalities go, Palin is either a "love here or hate her" type choice but as a second choice, why would one prefer different party over the other unless the voter is uninformed or the issues are not a concern?

You need to pass a test to get a driver's license. We should probably make a voter pass a test before they get to vote....
testing for a right? barkeep .... gun tests for everyone!!
Quote:
...I came from Chicago...If you sit in the corner bar after work and listen to the patrons commenting on the news on TV as each item comes up-- immigration, welfare reform, national defense, etc, all the comments would make you think these working stiffs are not only conservatives, but John Birchers at that...but ask them how they'll vote-- "OH! Democrat for sure ! We always vote Democrat....for generations"

What a country.

edited to add: By coincidence, this is from today's Federalist https://thefederalist.com/2022/09/02...unding-scheme/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2022, 07:10 AM
 
Location: The Driftless Area, WI
6,353 posts, read 3,555,012 times
Reputation: 15495
???

Perhaps I should have written "It's Suppression of Illegal voting."...I think you took it to mean "Illegal suppression of legal voting."---I'm for voter IDs; against early voting; against mail-in voting-- both make cheating too easy, and in fact, I don't like mechanical or electronic voting machines or electronic vote counting....What's so hard about putting an "X" with a pencil in a box and manual counting?-- no chance for unfair programming like they do with slot machines.

We need to re-establish credibility and confidence in our system of suffrage....Voting is much easier already in WI than it was in IL (famous for the "vote early & vote often" attitude) with the Election Day registration-- just bring in a driver's license and a utility bill and cast your vote.

My comment about testing was facetious....We allow anyone to have children too-- probably not a good idea anymore for the long term survival of the species....but "with Freedom comes Responsibility" --the responsibility part not being exercised by everyone all the time.

I'm libertarian-- The Golden Rule is theoretically the only Law we need.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2022, 06:35 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee, WI
3,330 posts, read 2,495,534 times
Reputation: 2877
Maybe democrats were a people's party at some time in the past. Now it's a party of criminals and for criminals. How can any reasonable person vote for them after 2020 is beyond my understanding.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top