Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2022, 10:29 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,105,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
No, not a fan of Minocqua, I prefer the remote rural areas of northern Vilas County 15+ miles removed from Minocqua or Eagle River.

I agree, that's why I love the UP, just outside of the infected range of FIBS and their breeding habitat. FIBS will drive 5 hours but 6 hours seems to be just outside of their range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2022, 10:40 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,249,261 times
Milwaukee City, good morning.

Fibs? Speaking of fibs, I can't stand ANY kind of fib!

You're talking about people who tell lies/fibs, right?!?

Old 09-24-2022, 11:06 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,561,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I agree, that's why I love the UP, just outside of the infected range of FIBS and their breeding habitat. FIBS will drive 5 hours but 6 hours seems to be just outside of their range.
That could be the case, or they run out of daylight.. My favorite towns with some of the nicest lakes and trails are Presque Isle, Winchester, Boulder Junction, Phelps, and Manitowish Waters. Getting very pricy, although I anticipate the downturn in the real estate market will result in lower prices for lakefront properties next year.

Old 09-24-2022, 09:38 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,757,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
It is hard for me to think about Lake Geneva as being overrated as I have never really heard anyone say something good about it. I view it as some extended suburb of Chicago, nothing more and nothing less.

I own a vacation rental in Door County. I enjoy using it two months in the winter. The other 10 months I enjoy renting it and ripping off the fibs. There is a far better peninsula just to the north of where I live that I visit frequently for my playground...
Right on, keep snagging their dirty money

Old 09-24-2022, 09:43 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,757,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Milwaukee City, good morning.

Fibs? Speaking of fibs, I can't stand ANY kind of fib!

You're talking about people who tell lies/fibs, right?!?
Surely, you're kidding right Master Jay? I've known for over 50 years that F%$ing Illinois Ba$tards was a mainstay of those that don't admire the folks down south coming across the border clogging their roads and leaving their trash creating their little bit of mayhem. Sure, there are many a businesspeople like up in the Dells that LOVE to suck up their $$ but I assure you, they look forward to their return back to where they came from. Same with poor Door County. It's sure nothing like what it once was. But is decent when the Illinois visitor season is ended.

Old 09-24-2022, 10:20 PM

1,431 posts, read 664,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post
Everyone says that lake Geneva is beautiful and fun and worth visiting, on the internet.
Is it, really? small towns with tourism hype or build up their image for the public, and then it turns out, there is not much there for a big city person. ( to a family or from an uncultured simple area, then it probably looks great)

So other than the lake and restaurants and shopping, is it worth spending a weekend?
It's great. The big crowds are mostly gone .

Old 09-24-2022, 11:37 PM

4,630 posts, read 3,249,261 times
dcisive, you know what? I always pull over when I see a car on the side of the road with Illinois plates, to offer them help.

I never use the term FIBS.... Illini are my brothers and sisters. I happily welcome them in Wisconsin.

P.S. I drove down and had dinner at Del Rio, in Highwood. I spent over 4 hours there, chatting with the Illinois staff, and clients.

Old 09-25-2022, 06:02 AM

7,251 posts, read 5,123,089 times
I suppose the touristy places like Geneva or The Dells would be exciting attractions to the less sophisticated, kinda like the side show at the circus was so exciting to the country bumpkins once a year before the days of autos, radio & TV. To urbanites, seeing trees growing other than in straight lines along the parkway must seem very primitive & rustic....I guess some people like buying exotic items like Indian bead belts and T-shirts "Lake Geneva 2022" made in Malaysia and is a real hoot....

...and then there's also people who actually like German opera. It takes all kinds.

Old 09-25-2022, 08:25 AM

2,661 posts, read 3,857,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
I suppose the touristy places like Geneva or The Dells would be exciting attractions to the less sophisticated, kinda like the side show at the circus was so exciting to the country bumpkins once a year before the days of autos, radio & TV. To urbanites, seeing trees growing other than in straight lines along the parkway must seem very primitive & rustic....I guess some people like buying exotic items like Indian bead belts and T-shirts "Lake Geneva 2022" made in Malaysia and is a real hoot....

...and then there's also people who actually like German opera. It takes all kinds.

Guess not everybody can be sophistomacatid like you - eh buddy? What a pompous posting.

Old 09-25-2022, 09:47 AM

747 posts, read 579,800 times
It all depends on what you are used to and if or where you have traveled much
Some folks are happy almost anywhere and others are very choosy and feel meh.
I am not a snob, far from it, but towns don't cater to my special interests.

You know, I never heard a Chicagoan say anything bad about Wisconsin. Compared to northern Illinois, it looks great to them for a getaway vacation (And Michigan). They rave about Door County. Never been there...but then I find the prairie everywhere boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin