Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 04:31 AM

2 posts, read 17,067 times

Advertisements

first let me thank all the folks on this forum, read a lot in the past few days and manage to get so much information it was great.

Soon i will finish Santa Monica community college (CA) and i'm looking for a nice good university to transfer to. since living in CA is so expensive and i'm also looking for a change in life style, i'm looking for affordable options and both the universities of WI in Eau Claire and La Crosse seems like an option.

i will be happy to read your views on which one you think will suite me better.
i'm 23 years old, i grew up and grew up most of my life in Israel (parents worked for the consulate there) so i feel more like an international student than a local. i'm not a shy person but i'm not a big party guy either.

where do you think will be easier for someone with my backround to meet new people and create a good life.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 05:36 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
What do you want to study?

Old 05-27-2008, 05:40 AM

2 posts, read 17,067 times
my major will probably be Finance or something else under "Business"

Old 05-27-2008, 05:55 AM

61 posts, read 185,908 times
I live about 15 miles from Eau Claire, and work in Eau Claire...I love it :-) Great city, too small for me though. Just waiting for wife to graduate from college to move!

Old 05-27-2008, 09:55 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,332,100 times
One of our two offspring goes to the UW-La Crosse, and really loves the community. It's not a huge city, around 50K people, I believe, but has a lot of character and charm. The bluffs overlooking the Mississippi river aren't anywhere near as spectacular as the Pacific coast, but for the Midwest, they're awfully pretty.

One caveat, though, since you mention that you're not a partier: the UW-L has a well-deserved reputation as a party school. For a while, until the city council put a moratorium on issuing new liquor licences, there were more bars per capita in La Crosse than in any other city in the US. They're about number three in the nation now, but you can still find at least one and often several bars in almost every block downtown.

Academically, both the UW-L and the UW-E are quite selective and rigorous. My sister interviewed for a position as a chemistry professor at both universities (got offered the job at both, too) and chose La Crosse because she saw the school's philosophy as being a little more geared toward helping students succeed than Eau Claire. At least in the chem department, it was very much a "sink-or-swim" attitude at Eau Claire, and a couple of the profs on her interviewing committee actually seemed quite proud of the number of students they flunk each semester. But they're both still demanding schools.

I am not as familiar with Eau Claire's programs and specializations, but La Crosse has at least a decent business department. In all honesty, probably the best business curriculum in the UW system is Whitewater's. But you can get a degree in business at most or all of the four-year campuses in the system.

Good luck in your move and future academic career!

Old 06-23-2008, 12:46 PM

862 posts, read 1,050,265 times
Flip a coin-La Crosse is prettier, Eau Claire closer to twin Cities.
Truth is the only world class UW is Madison.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:57 AM

90 posts, read 328,334 times
Default Oshkosh

Oshkosh is probably a better choice for a business program than the others, even if it is an unattractive city.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:46 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,193 times
WI is a big change from CA. It may be a culture shock for you. And a weather shock...coldest winters ever!

I know you're looking for a change, but have you visited the state at all? Don't move somewhere without visiting.

College life in WI is basically getting drunk in someone's basement every night. Or getting drunk in a bar every night, if you're old enough. A non-partier may have a hard time fitting in in this state. Especially in the towns you're looking at (my sister went to La Crosse and alcoholic drunk fests were basically her life).
It's nothing like what you'd be used to in CA. There isn't really any city life, or the things to do that come with it. So people party a lot.

Good schools, good towns, but definitely make sure it's what you're looking for.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:02 PM

52 posts, read 216,083 times
I think that coming in from CA, Madison might be the best transition city for you, and then Milwaukee. I say that simply because there will be more to do in those two locations than the ones you are currently looking at.
I also agree that you ought to come to the state and have a look around, becuase the internet can only show you so much. Personally - I love Wisconsin, and think it is a great place to be! I hope you get to come and check it out for yourself soon.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:54 PM

23 posts, read 99,245 times
I live in Eau Claire but I'm not going for business so I can't help you with that, sorry But I can reply on people saying that unless you're a drunk there's nothing to do here.
Yes partying is very big in both towns, but I don't party and I have something going on every weekend. Eau Claire is a big enough town (60,000+ I think in 2000) that there's plenty of other things to do. But they are right, you might want to check out the area before moving here. But good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin