Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 03:26 PM

10 posts, read 27,637 times

Advertisements

I found this thread very interesting and educational, even though I do believe bettyboopster to definitely be a troll. Sometimes responding to a troll can give the lurkers something interesting to read. I certainly wish I could move up to Madison myself so I could be closer to outdoor activities that I enjoy. The long drive up to Nicolette is peaceful, but it would be 2 or 3 hours shorter from Madison and wouldn't that be nice!? Milwaukee sounds interesting as well. I'm pretty hooked into Chicago, but the camping trips that have taken me into Wisconsin have led me to love the state as a whole. I've met some incredibly nice people there. I find Wisconsin to be wonderful.
Kenosha iiiiiiis Wisconsin, but just barely!

Old 01-12-2007, 03:30 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shedwyn View Post
I found this thread very interesting and educational, even though I do believe bettyboopster to definitely be a troll. Sometimes responding to a troll can give the lurkers something interesting to read. I certainly wish I could move up to Madison myself so I could be closer to outdoor activities that I enjoy. The long drive up to Nicolette is peaceful, but it would be 2 or 3 hours shorter from Madison and wouldn't that be nice!? Milwaukee sounds interesting as well. I'm pretty hooked into Chicago, but the camping trips that have taken me into Wisconsin have led me to love the state as a whole. I've met some incredibly nice people there. I find Wisconsin to be wonderful.
Kenosha iiiiiiis Wisconsin, but just barely!
For the record, it's "Nicolet" not "Nicolette." I'm normally not a spelling Nazi but in this case it makes a difference in pronunciation. You'll notice that a lot of cities, towns and geographical features in Wisconsin have French names. Nicolet is one of those places, and accordingly, it's pronunced "Nic-o-LAY" whereas if it were "Nicolette" the French pronunciation would be pretty much the same as it is in English.

Thank you for reading my pointless blather.

Old 01-12-2007, 03:46 PM

119 posts, read 835,052 times
Default Agree with Boring

I'm from Kenosha, Wisconsin. Thank the Lord I moved away when I did. It is the armpit of the United States, hell on earth. I would never raise my child there. Get out now while you can!!

Old 01-12-2007, 04:04 PM

10 posts, read 27,637 times
[quote=Drover;271255]For the record, it's "Nicolet" not "Nicolette." I'm normally not a spelling Nazi but in this case it makes a difference in pronunciation. You'll notice that a lot of cities, towns and geographical features in Wisconsin have French names. Nicolet is one of those places, and accordingly, it's pronunced "Nic-o-LAY" whereas if it were "Nicolette" the French pronunciation would be pretty much the same as it is in English.

Thank you for the correction. I couldn't remember the right spelling, since I only made the trek once and didn't bother to look it up on line before writing my post. Thanks for the correction on the pronunciation. Well, good thing I didn't have to say it to any locals or they would have laughed me out of town! Not that you've asked, but if you ever go out to Oregon, the Willamette river is Will - a (as in apple and stress on this syllable) - met...no "tee" at the end. That one always gives Oregonians the giggles.

Old 01-12-2007, 07:21 PM

52 posts, read 286,853 times
Bettyboopster,

Sounds like you have moved here and have no friends here. It is hard to relocate. It can be tough to find things to do with a 2 year old child in any city. Because of her age, the things you can do are limited. It would help if you had a network of friends with similar aged children. Ask any parent of a two year old what they do for recreation and the list will not be long.

The are many programs at the Rec Plex, YMCA and libraries. They range in ages and activity level. Swim classes, ice skating, gymnastics, dance lessons. During the summer we have great public pools, bike races at Washington park. As she gets older there are huge amount of activites in the schools. There are many sports leagues, soccer, softball, golf, for you or your daughter.

The point here is to get out and get involved. You will meet good people and before you know it, you will be complaining you don't have enough time.

Old 01-12-2007, 09:33 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,695,689 times
Try discoverwisconsin.com or kenosha-wi.worldweb.com/

Old 01-15-2007, 09:10 PM

7 posts, read 30,927 times
betty - would you mind giving me an idea of what a typical 7-day week would entail in your favorite state of residence? Outline for us the exciting activities the boopster household would enjoy in a typical week.

I'm interested in these every day activities you're unable to enjoy in Wisconsin.

And be sure not to list any festivals, amusement parks, zoos or other touristy and expensive activities, as you've already discounted the same as activities one is unable to do on a "weekly basis" in Wisconsin.

Be very specific, please, and as descriptive as possible.

I relocated to Wisconsin from the Atlantic Coast. I look forward to your response.

Old 01-17-2007, 03:20 PM

473 posts, read 2,754,941 times
she's just a brat who moved where she didn't want to (probably big city girl), and instead of making the best of things would rather sit, mope, and complain about it. She lives in a beautiful state with tons to do and claims boredom, these people cannot be pleased.

The more you respond to her, the whinier and brattier her responses will be.

Old 01-18-2007, 09:00 AM

80 posts, read 562,696 times
I would agree with the original poster. I lived in Fond du Lac, WI for a year (worst year of my life!) and Fond du Lac is not a hick town. All people do there is hang out in bars and drink. Not a lot of family or kid activities. And people there are very unfriendly. After a year, my husband and I had enough, and he got a job back in our home state of MN. Glad to be back!! Sure, people in MN drink, too, but not everyone and the ones who do don't treat the ones who don't like freaks. I don't drink, and the few people that actually talked to me in Fond du Lac looked at me like I was from Mars because I don't drink. Nice example to set for kids! The southwestern part of WI is fine (La Crosse, etc.) but the eastern part of WI, no thanks!

Old 01-19-2007, 03:55 PM

8 posts, read 40,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyboopster View Post
Right now I'm in Kenosha.
Yeah that's your problem Move to Madison
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin