Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 12:34 PM

9 posts, read 32,752 times

Advertisements

You yourself must spend alot of time in bars since you seem to know that is where everyone else is.

I also live in wisconsin and also own a tavern, guess what this is not all there is to do. My customers hunt, fish, hike, go antiquing, to auctions, festivals and other social gatherings that our town and surrounding communities have to offer.

Maybe you are the one who is afraid to get out and meet someone, since you have alot of posts on this site you must not have anything else to do.

Old 04-20-2007, 03:55 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,240,039 times
Default None!

just having come across this by accident on google, I have been intrigued by the conversation! I am from London, and having lived in MAdison for a while I have to say i LOVE Wisconsin!!!!! Also, great city, chicago not far, great countryside, great bars/nightlife, season changes... i'd live there again! Madison can compete with the big cities no problem.

Last edited by golfgal; 05-23-2007 at 05:16 AM.. Reason: inappropriate language

Old 04-26-2007, 08:22 AM

33 posts, read 122,423 times
wisconsin is a great state but the weather is a BIG problem ...
also, for me i am from a foreign country and have just moved to the US, the people here are not familiar with something called DIVERSITY !! they treat non-american people differently ... i visited washington DC, newyork city philli and chicage and i didnt see such thing in them ....

plus the HIGH taxes rate
otherwise everything in WI is good and fun

Old 04-29-2007, 02:50 PM

22 posts, read 75,203 times
I lived in Minneapolis for awhile and the main drag downtown was Nicolet Ave, pronounced "Nicolette". I know you've spent time in PA, so think "Du Boyz". Or for a Chicago example, "Goathie St." or "Dezplaynes"

Old 04-29-2007, 06:00 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tktez View Post
I lived in Minneapolis for awhile and the main drag downtown was Nicolet Ave, pronounced "Nicolette". I know you've spent time in PA, so think "Du Boyz". Or for a Chicago example, "Goathie St." or "Dezplaynes"
I presume you're responding to me? It may be that the street is pronounced "Nicolette" in Minneapolis. But the national forest in Wisconsin is pronounced "Nic-o-lay." Additionally, in Chicago we do pronunce Goethe Street "Gerta Street." Whatever the pronucniation habits are in other places, it seems most French-named places in Wisconsin retain the French pronunciations (Buh-LOYT being the obvious exception).

Last edited by Drover; 04-29-2007 at 06:09 PM..

Old 05-15-2007, 08:04 AM

12 posts, read 14,383 times
Yeah wisconsin people have a problem with diversity. I'm from the caribean Island you should here them making a mockery about my accent. You people need to travel insted of going to wisconsin dells for vacation.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:50 AM

387 posts, read 1,331,325 times
We live in NH right now and they are the same way. They don't like change or anyone that hasn't lived in this area for 80 years. And diversity, no way. My niece and her friend who is from India came to visit us. It was horrible the stares she got wherever we went. Some people were down right rude. But last summer when they visited with us in northern WI she loved it. People were friendly to her and interested in her background. One family even had a huge cookout and asked her to bring her favorite Indian food. It was comical to us how big hearted the people of our little town in WI were to her.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:46 PM

4 posts, read 19,249 times
Default Wisconsin is GREAT! Stop the bashing!

Hello KateDaum,

We live in NH right now and they are the same way. They don't like change or anyone that hasn't lived in this area for 80 years. And diversity, no way. My niece and her friend who is from India came to visit us. It was horrible the stares she got wherever we went. Some people were down right rude. But last summer when they visited with us in northern WI she loved it. People were friendly to her and interested in her background. One family even had a huge cookout and asked her to bring her favorite Indian food. It was comical to us how big hearted the people of our little town in WI were to her.

I think what you posted here says it all! I hope that anyone reading these comments about Wisconsin will read this one and take it to heart. It is true that SOME people from ANY small town/big city/foreign country, can be closed-minded, intolerant, rude, etc. But if that is how you classify an entire state, city or country, then you should look at yourself in the mirror.

Most folks in Wisconsin are friendly and like to have fun--no they don't all drink like fish....they just enjoy eachother's company and know how to relax on their down-time. Most of them will open their home to strangers, actually WAVE "hello" to eachother, strike up a conversation with the person in line in the grocery store, etc. These people will bend over backwards to help their neighbor in times of need, mow lawns/shovel snow for the elderly, clean up along the highway, help build houses for charity...you name it!

Too bad some people have a bad experience and bash an entire group of people. If you don't like Wisconsin or anyplace you are living, then move. Quit complaining about it! It is a free country....pick up and MOVE!

Old 05-16-2007, 03:00 PM

33 posts, read 122,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Hello KateDaum,

I think what you posted here says it all! I hope that anyone reading these comments about Wisconsin will read this one and take it to heart. It is true that SOME people from ANY small town/big city/foreign country, can be closed-minded, intolerant, rude, etc. But if that is how you classify an entire state, city or country, then you should look at yourself in the mirror.

Most folks in Wisconsin are friendly and like to have fun--no they don't all drink like fish....they just enjoy eachother's company and know how to relax on their down-time. Most of them will open their home to strangers, actually WAVE "hello" to eachother, strike up a conversation with the person in line in the grocery store, etc. These people will bend over backwards to help their neighbor in times of need, mow lawns/shovel snow for the elderly, clean up along the highway, help build houses for charity...you name it!

Too bad some people have a bad experience and bash an entire group of people. If you don't like Wisconsin or anyplace you are living, then move. Quit complaining about it! It is a free country....pick up and MOVE!
when you become a forign citizen then you will know exactely what i was talkin about ....

in my post, i didnt include the whole state (I spoke in general, which mean there r exceptions) i meant small towns (which is most of WI ) are like this ... first when they hear your accent then they will become a 180 degree differnt

you r talkin from your viewpoint ... i wish all the wisconsities think like ya

i have been visited 10 states (i visited more states than most of WI ppl ) so far and i believe WI is the worst when it come to treating immigtants

sorry, but this is a fact no one can ignor it ..... (exclude miluawkee and madison)

Old 05-17-2007, 11:15 AM

20 posts, read 92,542 times
Hello, all,
I can understand where betty is coming from. I grew up in Wisconsin, and I always thought it was "boring," too. Then I moved away, and I remember all the wonderful things about Wisconsin.
But the truth is, I'd be happy anywhere in my life now. I am happy with myself. We absolutely reflect on the outside where we are on the inside. That's what I've learned in life.
Wherever I go, people say how friendly the people are in Wisconsin! They are a good people, and friendly!
Warmly,
kj
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin