Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 09:11 AM
Bo Bo started this thread Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,957,687 times

Advertisements

news: GM plant closing will put 2,600 out of work in Janesville

GM announced this morning that it is closing 4 of its plants that make large vehicles. One of them is the SUV production facility in Janesville. The loss of so many jobs will be a severe blow to the Rock County area. This is bad news for the affected workers themselves and it will likely have a ripple effect, as those families will either move away or be unable to afford to buy things from local businesses for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 12:45 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,503,583 times
Sucks that shutting them down, Gas prices and such affecting so much.Maybe stop the war and worry about what is going on at home we be better off.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:42 PM

1,085 posts, read 3,556,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post
sucks That Shutting Them Down, Gas Prices And Such Affecting So Much.maybe Stop The War And Worry About What Is Going On At Home We Be Better Off.

Amen!

Old 06-03-2008, 07:06 PM

72,816 posts, read 62,127,610 times
Business leaders need to come up with a plan and fast to put another industrial enterprise(hopefully Raytheon) in its place. I think Raytheon could be a good enterprise for the area. Business leaders need to think of something to bring another business of its size in to replace the GM factory or there will be real problems.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:49 PM

673 posts, read 3,137,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Business leaders need to come up with a plan and fast to put another industrial enterprise(hopefully Raytheon) in its place. I think Raytheon could be a good enterprise for the area. Business leaders need to think of something to bring another business of its size in to replace the GM factory or there will be real problems.
I am always sad to hear when business closings affect Wisconsin. My mom and step dad were both laid off by Burger Boat in Manitowoc and they have been trying to work temp jobs for over a year now. Its just awful. Raytheon would be a great business to bring to Wisconsin. I work for Northrop Grumman which is a defense contractor. I wish they would build some type of office in Wisconsin as well, because I'd put in for a transfer in a heartbeat!

Old 06-03-2008, 09:44 PM

2,700 posts, read 3,671,473 times
Yes, that GM decision is life shattering. Now it is time for the Economic Development Commission of Janesville to recruit new business/industry into town. Instead of reacting the J'ville politico should have had options in the works waiting and ready for implementation. When a town and its people rely so heavily on 'an' industry, there's bound to be trouble down the line. There's more to the definition of diversity than ethnicity and its boundaries. There's still time before 2010 to provide positive change in direction economically.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:15 PM

250 posts, read 333,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
... or there will be real problems.
Not likely. People often promise action if the government fails to step in and prop up the economy. But poor people cannot do much, even together.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:20 PM

72,816 posts, read 62,127,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi_Girl View Post
I am always sad to hear when business closings affect Wisconsin. My mom and step dad were both laid off by Burger Boat in Manitowoc and they have been trying to work temp jobs for over a year now. Its just awful. Raytheon would be a great business to bring to Wisconsin. I work for Northrop Grumman which is a defense contractor. I wish they would build some type of office in Wisconsin as well, because I'd put in for a transfer in a heartbeat!
Honestly, I think Raytheon could work for Wisconsin. Wisconsin is somewhat flat(not the flattest). A good place to build light aircraft. If Wichita KS can do it, why not places like Janesville, Beloit, Milwaukee, Racine, etc?

Old 06-04-2008, 06:07 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,339,950 times
I really feel for the community!

I'm not 100 % sure on how all this works ... but ... how many millions of WI tax payers money (and tax breaks) was given to GM as an incentive to bring jobs to that area? Will WI get that back? Can anyone expand on this?

Old 06-04-2008, 06:55 PM

2 posts, read 6,590 times
Default Janesville GM plant

I posted earlier by mistake that it was a Ford plant in Janesville, but I was referring to the GM plan closure. I hope that some city official or local business interest checks out Apollo Alliance. Now is a GREAT time to invest in retooling that manufacturing line to build wind turbines or something of that nature -- during the next 20 years, there will be a tremendous demand for "green collar" jobs. Maybe the Janesville plant closure comes at a good time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin