U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2007, 05:05 PM

2 posts, read 6,988 times

Advertisements

I Am Moving To Usa From Uk Withinthe Next 12 Months And Would Be Grateful For Any Information That Can Be Passed On, Good Or Bad, My Husband Has Family In Franklin So Thats The Area We Will Be Going ,
I Would Be Grateful For Any Penpals And Friends Before I Arrive,
Looking Forward To Hearing From Any One And Everyone,
Waiting With Excitment.
Barbie
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2007, 09:31 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,168,987 times
Wrong end of State for me but hope you are ready for a weather change..Have fun in the states and welcome.

Old 01-16-2007, 08:54 PM

44 posts, read 155,079 times
Hi Barbie,
I am going to copy and paste in here the answer i posted for someone else moving to Chicago from UK or Irland. I don't know anything about the area you are moving to, but bellow you will find some info regarding America and big cities. I heard that the live and people in small towns is different then in the big cities, but the difference in culture remains the same. I hope this is going to help and Welcome to USA
If you have any other questions, please let me know. Long time ago, I moved here myself from Europe, presently I live in Chicago area and planing to move to Wisconsin myself.

It is a BIG difference between Europe and USA, be very careful ! Although Naperville IS a good and expensive suburb, Europe is much more expensive then US.
Here are few tips to keep in mind while you are here: DO NOT pick up strangers along the road even if their car breaks down, if you want to help someone call 911, keep your doors locked at all times at home and car. DO NOT trust everyone as you trust in EU, DO NOT give any personal information over the telephone to just about anyone who calls you. People keep very much to themselves although they come across as friendly and smile at you. They will always ask you "how are you ?" but don't think they really want to know. It is just a polite expression for them, instead of saying "Hello". Don't take me wrong, people here are NOT bad BUT, the difference in culture is HUGE. I lived half of my life in Europe and half in Chicago and I know the difference. My family is very wealthy and live in a much more expensive town then Naperville and their children goes to a public school. You would think everything is OK but is not. I would recommend looking into a private school and pay for it (is not free as the public one).
Here people do not socialize as they do in Europe, is more of a "HI" and "BYE" and a lot of smiling, they are very pleasant as long as you do not get close and invade their "space". America has a lot to offer when it comes to material things, prices, opportunities, money, freedom, business, etc.
They also believe you, until you prove otherwise. Your word and punctuality it is very important. If you have to be somewhere at say 12, you want to be there at 11:45. Do not be late for work or other appointments. There is so much to say and I bet people here would not like reading my reply to your ad, because they generally don't know the difference. I pray they understand there is no perfect world and every place on this earth has good and bad.
Oh, and be careful where you go in Chicagoland for site seeing and visiting, especially when lost in town and vicinity. If so, stop at a gas station for directions. One more thing, here everything goes by cardinal points. EVERYTHING is north, south, east, west. From the country to states to streets and of course to directions. Most streets run N-S, E-W. Is hard to get lost. Locate your new home on the map AND on your mental map (needless to tell you to keep a map in the car with you at all times). The cities are huge, it takes at least 2 hours to cross Chicago on the highway ! not regular streets.

Old 01-17-2007, 08:53 AM

158 posts, read 575,489 times
Default wow

Wow... where did you live in the EU that was so picture perfect? There are, of course, many differences in culture (even within the EU itself) when moving from one country to another... but I tend to think that the biggest culture shocks (EU to US or the contrary) are from a country setting to a city one (or the contrary).

Where are you coming from, Barbie? My guess is that if you live in a city you already know that you can't trust everyone and don't readily give your personal info out to the first passerby. If you don't have city experience, then the culture shock will most likely be a bit more intense.

I lived in an Italian city for years (after moving from a quiet US suburb). It was quite a shock and I learned some of the lessons cited in the previous post the hard way! Not only do you ALWAYS have to keep your doors locked, but you NEVER leave anything (even if it doesn't seem so valuable to you) in the locked car.... In the suburb I grew up in here in the States, my folks still leave the door unlocked at times.

I guess the point is... it all depends on where you live in any country (though my family in Italy lives out in the country and can NEVER leave their doors unlocked).

The most important thing is to do your research before you move and I think that you have already made a great step in that direction by contacting this forum and talking directly to the people who live where you are planning to move. If you keep your eyes, as well as your mind open I am certain you will do just fine!

Good luck!
We are also probably moving to WI, but would be quite aways from Franklin....

Old 11-03-2008, 06:49 AM

4 posts, read 7,656 times
hello everybody, My name is Hadi Mallam, i am from Ghana. I am 19years old student of senior high school studying social and ENveroment. I will like to say hello to any penpal body who will wanna come to AFRICA countries like Togo,Ghana my country ,Cote devore ,Burkina Faso for tourism and i will make sure to meet him so that we can learn things from each other,i am much known in culture so we can learn that too,so hello everybody nice to hear from you. [email]tellmeall789@yahoo.com[/email] or [email]theshakemelove789@yahoo.com[/email] is my E-mail address so just drop me reply. Anyway who can define the meaning for culture and Tourism? whats dose that mean ? nice to hear from you. Remember my name is Hadi mallam just write me in my mail address nice to hear from you. Long life ,peace and prosperity to you all.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:57 AM

4 posts, read 7,656 times
Default hello

Hello,
You may wonder whom i am and where this letter is coming from.
I am young Ghanaian 19years old male from Kumasi in Ashanti region.I just saw your notes and will be happy to know more about you ,remamber friendship can start from anywhere and i hope you be my friend for culture studies and other important things nice to hear from you.
STAY IN LOVE WITH YOUR FAMILIES AND FRIENDS TOO,LONG LIFE AND PROSPERITY TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILIES.
FROM HADI MALLAM.
[email]tellmeall789@yahoo.co[/email] or [email]theshakmelove789@yahoo.com[/email] is my E-MAIL ADDRSS. nice to hear from you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin