U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2008, 03:37 PM

1 posts, read 4,369 times

Advertisements

Greetings and Salutations
My husband and I are getting ready to relocate but we are not sure which city we should consider. My new job is located in Oshkosh but we have not hear good things about this area. We were also thinking of Neenha or Appleton...
Any suggestions
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 03:02 PM

250 posts, read 921,176 times
Hi Beachlvrmi,

While I live in Minnesota, my cousin and her husband live in Appleton (Kaukauna, actually) and absolutely LOVE it. Very affordable housing, excellent schools, great career opportunities, over all, a very GOOD quality of living. The Fox River runs through and is stunning.

I live in Mpls/St Paul and every time I visit my cousin in Kaukauna, I am surprised at the number of stores (unusual stores) they have there that we also have here in Mpls/St Paul. Many of which you'd imagine you'd have to go to Chicago or Milwaukee to find - but you don't, because they have them in Appleton! There is also a lot of great antique/boutique shopping. The even have a Penzy's Spices there! I love visiting Appleton/Kaukauna. Very flat area but very pretty. Everything is nice and clean and VERY easy to get around. Oh, high taxes, but it shows that they're used well (great roads, transportation, clean, clean clean!)

I should add Oshkosh is 20 minutes from Appleton/Kaukauna. Oh! And Oshkosh has a totally killer outlet mall. Better than any in MN IMHO! THE BEST Bath & Body Works outlet store. Almost everything is under $5! You can tell I'm a bit of a shopper from this post, but honestly, I prefer shopping in this area to my hometown. I am a huge deal seeker and have found some of the best there!

Good luck to you!

Old 06-17-2008, 06:22 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,431,746 times
We moved to Appleton 2 years ago and lived here for a year before looking for a house. We looked in Appleton, Oshkosh, & Neenah primarily with a few peeks at Kaukauna and Menasha. We ruled Oshkosh out pretty quickly. We didn't like the "feel" of the town, although at LP stated, there is a really nice outlet mall there.

If you will be working in Oshkosh, I would suggest checking out Neenah first which will put you right in between Oshkosh and Appleton. 10 minute drive to either town. Neenah also has famously good schools.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:45 PM

4 posts, read 23,662 times
I grew up in Neenah, WI. I absolutely loved it here. The area has plenty around it with Appleton and Oshkosh nearby, and also has a great small town, safe feeling. The schools are very good, the high school being one of the largest in the state. Neenah itself is expanding, and several new subdivisions are available. I'm currently a student at the University of Wisconsin, and I really miss the safe environment the Fox Cities provide.

A note about Kaukauna, the city kind of smells most of the time because of all the paper mills, but otherwise, it is a nice town as well.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:05 PM

862 posts, read 883,642 times
Appleton is nicer than Oshkosh unless you like blue-collar "gritty"( I do myself)
Only difference from Holland is conservative Catholics and Lutherans instead of Reformed.LOL

Old 06-24-2008, 11:02 AM

90 posts, read 301,424 times
Default Appleton or Neenah

Appleton and Neenah are much nicer than Oshkosh, but you do have a wicked drive in winter. I know one person who just moved to Omro to work in Oshkosh, and someone else who works and lives here, but wishes they lived in Appleton.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:11 PM

11 posts, read 45,779 times
I grew up in Appleton, and now I live in Oshkosh.. and I hate it.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:07 PM

4 posts, read 19,170 times
I moved from Oregon to Oshkosh. I choose Oshkosh over Appleton and Green bay mostly due to the housing in my price range was low. Low priced housing in Green Bay and Appleton has a higher crime rate then in Oshkosh. Oshkosh is a smaller town with not tons to do, but crime wise it is also sleeping compared to bigger areas like Appleton and Green Bay as a whole.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:41 AM

2 posts, read 7,193 times
Please keep away from Oshkosh. Its just full of red necks who think black folks are the devil. I was shot at my first week there while going to college just because of my skin tone. Most people in Oshkosh have missing teeth and try to recite the bible to you as soon as you walk in a restraurant or store.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:18 AM

1 posts, read 2,140 times
I moved to Oshkosh 13 years ago. I love being in a university town with plenty to do. Great schools, libraries, museum and the Grand Opera house. Plenty of good restaurants and bars. Check it out.
Regards,
Bernie Olejniczak
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin