Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2013, 10:04 PM

3 posts, read 8,133 times

Advertisements

I am looking for any advice about our upcoming move to Appleton. Currently my husband (who will be on the forum soon enough) is there already for his new job & the rest of us are still in Atlanta. I've already posted some of this on another post to someone else who is moving to the area from Atlanta, but I needed actual advice so here goes nothing.
I have a 6th grader and a junior in high school that will be moving to Appleton joining their daddy mid school year possibly. Schools are obviously my top concern. My oldest (straight A student) is involved in a Healthcare program at her current high school here in GA. She gets to shadow doctors at a hospital and basically be an LPN at graduation. Is there anything like that in a high school there? If so where? She is only concerned about this. Making new friends is easy for her so that isn't what is bothering her at all. Now my youngest is more shy and not as excited about moving, so that will be a bridge we cross when we get to it. He wants to be homeschooled.
Next up is where do I even begin to look for a place to live? Schools are a factor, but so is the neighborhood, environment, community, etc.
We live in the foothills of the North Georgia mountains right now. We have a grocery store a mile away and a shopping center 8 miles away but other than that we are kind of in the country. We chose a neighborhood with no HOA and will only live in a neighborhood without one!
I guess I'm rambling. I'm just a bit overwhelmed with the fact I'm having to leave my home. I'm okay with moving where I am moving too, but I'm sad to leave my property, my home and my friends.

Thanks for your patience and time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 10:16 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,109,500 times
Wisconsin has very good to great public schools and plenty of state 2 year and 4 year colleges. I wouldn't worry at all about schools. People here are very friendly and from what other have told me it is easy to meet friends in school. Appleton is a very nice city with a cheap cost of living and nice homes and a good standard of living. Appleton is only an hour from the Milwaukee area and 1.5 from downtown Milwaukee so if you need anything in the city it's easy to get to. Hardly any HOA's here more so in the Milwaukee Suburbs but even then very few and in between it's no where on the level of Florida.

Anywhere is the "Fox Valley" is a great place to live, you will get more snow than say Kenosha but if you are into winter sports you are close to good snow.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:43 PM

3 posts, read 8,133 times
Another question! Where should I be looking for houses? I do not want to live in an area with a bunch of college kids partying and just being young I'm looking for places where I have access to a good high school & middle school. I can rent for now and then purchase, so that isn't a factor. Another requirement we have for a place to live is privacy. We live in the country now and love it. So if we can find a place like that then cool; if not then city living is cool too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin