Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2008, 05:53 PM

221 posts, read 1,194,951 times

Advertisements

I am from southeastern Wisconsin, but I haven't lived in the state since I was ten. My husband and I are looking to move back since all my family is there, but we would most likely be moving somewhere around Camp Douglas/Camp Williams or Fort McCoy because he is military. We are wondering...What are some good towns to raise a family in that area? We really like La Crosse, but it is a little far from Camp Douglas/Williams if that is where he ends up. Also, my brother just told me that La Crosse floods a lot. Is that true? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 07:48 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,604,841 times
To be honest I've never heard of La Crosse flooding. I loved La Crosse ever since I was exposed to the town on my short visit for work there. I think some people may think it's flood prone because the Mississippi River runs along the Western Edge of town.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
I loved La Crosse ever since I was exposed to the town on my short visit for work there.
I loved La Crosse the moment we drove into town for the first time back in Spring of 1995. I have always thought that is where I want to live and raise our family. We are seriously looking at it as our future home, so now I am very curious about this flooding thing. I did take a look at one of the city's sites and it said there are areas where it does tend to flood sometimes, and it sounds like there have been some serious floods there in the past. I guess I just want to hear the truth from people who live there. Thanks, JoshB, for your response. I greatly appreciate it.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:26 PM

Does anyone have any suggestions as to good towns to raise a family in near to Camp Douglas/Williams or Fort McCoy? I would love to hear what you have to suggest! Thank you!

Old 06-26-2008, 12:39 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,604,841 times
What about Tomah?

Old 06-29-2008, 09:37 PM

63 posts, read 227,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessysunshine View Post
I am from southeastern Wisconsin, but I haven't lived in the state since I was ten. My husband and I are looking to move back since all my family is there, but we would most likely be moving somewhere around Camp Douglas/Camp Williams or Fort McCoy because he is military. We are wondering...What are some good towns to raise a family in that area? We really like La Crosse, but it is a little far from Camp Douglas/Williams if that is where he ends up. Also, my brother just told me that La Crosse floods a lot. Is that true? Thanks!
La Crosse had a moderate flood in 2001 and 1997, but the last major flood was in 1965. During a moderate flood areas that flood include parts of the lower end of French Island along Bainbridge street, water may start to creep into parts of the northside of La Crosse (the area between downtown and Onalaska), and green island may start to flood. When water creeps into the northside it is such a small amount that the city just puts in pumps to send the water back into the river. During the flood of 1965, the worst flood the city has seen, many parts of the northside of La Crosse were under water. Today, some parts of the northside of town have been raised while other parts still are in a flood plain. In 1997 and 2001 the city used the old leeves that were still there from the 1965 flood and sandbag leeves to hold the water back in the few lower spots. Virtually all of Onalaska, Holmen, and the southside of La Crosse are too high to flood. It has never really been a major issue to the city. They have tried to get a levee system built for the northside to eliminate the need to pay for flood insurance but the cost to benefit ratio is not high enough to qualify for federal money. The city has more problems with storm sewers backing up during heavy rains than with river flooding. I would say the only thing you have to watch out for, if you are planning to buy property, is if you are in a flood plain. People in La Crosse tend to avoid buying homes in areas designated as flood plains not because they flood, but because you have to pay for the flood insurance that you will probably never use.

I know there are some people who commute to Fort McCoy from La Crosse but I am sure with gas prices that number is down. I am sure there are only a handful of people who commute to camp Douglas as I believe it would be about an hour drive. Most people who work at Camp McCoy or Camp Douglas tend to live in Sparta, Tomah, New Lisbon, or Mauston.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:23 AM

Thank you, HuggyBear, for all the great info re: LaCrosse and the surrounding area!

And thank you for telling me the names of the cities where most people live who are stationed at Camp Williams/Douglas or Fort McCoy. That is very helpful.

Thanks to everyone!

Old 03-26-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huggybear28 View Post
Most people who work at Camp McCoy or Camp Douglas tend to live in Sparta, Tomah, New Lisbon, or Mauston.
Of those towns listed above, which ones are the nicest in which to raise a family? Thank you!

Also, any other towns to recommend?

Old 05-11-2009, 03:14 PM

7 posts, read 23,099 times
Have you made a decision on where to live yet? I grew up in Tomah and even though I may not have fully appreciated it at the time, it really was a great place to grow up. I think it offers the best opportunities of the the four small towns previously listed.

The high school is a small division one/larger division two school and has strong sports and music programs. There are also two small private grade schools (St. Mary's and St. Paul's).

Being it is where the interstate divides, its just a quick trip to LaCrosse, EauClaire or Madison.

The Chamber of Commerce and the Rotary Club are both doing a lot of work to make Tomah a great place to live and raise a family.

Depending on how old your kids are, I would check to see which of those towns has a YMCA or the like where kids can hang out. The problem with smaller towns is that when kids think there is 'nothing to do' they tend to find trouble...Tomah included.

Good Luck!

Old 05-12-2009, 06:42 AM

Thank you, nuccadc! I really appreciate your input! I see you are in Washington now. Is that "state" or "DC"? If "state", I grew up there from 10-20. Eastern Washington.

Anyway, no, we have not made a decision yet. We continue to keep our eyes open for a job my husband could transfer to, but there have not been any openings as of yet. And it seems God wants us here for now, and that is fine.

Again, thank you! I appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin