Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 06:07 AM

1 posts, read 3,733 times

Advertisements

Snowgirl,

I wrote a response to you last night, posted it, and fear it may be lost somehow in cyberspace. Thus it may find its way to you and it may not. Nevertheless, here is my second attempt.

Your request to know more about Door County came to me through mutual friends. I have lived the Door County experience for nearly 40 years and can tell you that if you are willing to simplify and be real, this place is for you.

Homes and jobs are available if one is creative and willing to work hard. This famed peninsula is home to a much larger than normal mix of artists, writers, musicians, and soulful folks. The incredible natural beauty calls those of us who are here to be in tune with the seasonal changes and the relativity of time. There is an expansive inclusive energy here that peope are drawn to and often without really understanding what is happening. The energy comes from the water and stone and people who make this place their home.

I own an internet cafe and I am a realtor now, though in the past I have done many things to find a way to support myself here in Door County. I strongly encourage you to follow your dreams - any discomfort with letting go of life as you know will be for the good in the end. If there is any way I can be of further help, please let me know. I love Door County and I welcome others who are waiting to come here.

Donna in Door County
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2007, 06:45 AM

12 posts, read 119,971 times
I can tell you some things about the area you are talking about. Door county is very beutiful, but most of the towns make their living from tourist during the summer and fall months. My in-laws live on Washington Island just off the north port of WI. It is exactly what you are looking for, unfortunatly it is very expensive to live there. Your best bet is to seek a small house in one of the small towns near there and open a tourist shop in one part of the house and live in the other. Lots of people there do it. If you would like specific information just let me know.

Old 01-29-2007, 12:00 PM

44 posts, read 162,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlc267 View Post
I can tell you some things about the area you are talking about. Door county is very beutiful, but most of the towns make their living from tourist during the summer and fall months. My in-laws live on Washington Island just off the north port of WI. It is exactly what you are looking for, unfortunatly it is very expensive to live there. Your best bet is to seek a small house in one of the small towns near there and open a tourist shop in one part of the house and live in the other. Lots of people there do it. If you would like specific information just let me know.
YES, I would like to know everything you can tell me, and I mean EVERYTHING !
I am going there again tomorrow and my house in on the market so I will make the move pretty soon.
THANK YOU so much

Old 01-29-2007, 12:17 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,608,720 times
Hi Snowgirl,it would probably help if you asked questions on what you would like to know,,have a good trip

Old 01-29-2007, 02:02 PM

1 posts, read 3,716 times
Cool Everything in Door County...

is for sale every year. Many of the folks who are seasonal residents and business operators put the "For Sale" sign out every year as the last act of the season.
Place seems to be doing just fine...and a thousand apologies for sometimes shabby treatment given to the very people who make this place possible. Most of us greatly appreciate your presence.

Old 01-29-2007, 02:49 PM

44 posts, read 162,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molliemouster View Post
is for sale every year. Many of the folks who are seasonal residents and business operators put the "For Sale" sign out every year as the last act of the season.
Place seems to be doing just fine...and a thousand apologies for sometimes shabby treatment given to the very people who make this place possible. Most of us greatly appreciate your presence.
.......hmm.........do I know you ??
You are talking about an unpleasant exerience I had with someone there, as if you already know about this ...... do you ? are you the that person ?
I am all conffused now........
BUT, I do appreciate your message and I thank you very much
You are do right !!

P.S. I wasn't reffering to seasonal "sale". but to homes and businesses for sale as if everyone is leaving the peninsula .....

Old 02-13-2007, 07:09 AM

12 posts, read 119,971 times
Just to let you know about the Island. Washington Island has about 500 residents living on it. The houses and land range from about $34,000 to a couple of million. There are lots of woods. It is its busiest May through October and very little the rest of the year. There is one grocery store, 3 or 4 shops, lots of resturants and a mercentile. It is very beautiful with lots of opertunity to open a shop or cafe etc. The weather ranges from 40 to 85 from May to Aug. then gets alot colder the winter months, about 20 degrees and lower. The ferry brings you back and forth from the main land, but in the winter you have to schedule a time to get off the island. There are special passes for residents so it is less expensive. There are alot of little tourist towns near the north port. There is lots of houses and shops for sale along the way, not because they can't make it some people just don't want to do it for the rest of their lives. The island is very beautiful as is the little towns. There are tons of festivals both on the island and in the little towns May thru Aug.. The last festival for the island is called the Winter Harvest. It is wear all the towns folk and lots of off island people come together for a large Thanksgiving type of dinner. Some of the Island folk have a before party at one of their houses. It is very nice. This event marks the closing of the season and alot of the shops. If you want any more information about any towns or the island I can get you answers but you have to ask specific questions. Good luck!

Old 02-14-2007, 11:01 AM

14 posts, read 77,904 times
Door County has always reminded me of New England. Little towns filled with artsy craftsy shops, fish boils at every restaurant and tons of tourists from Illinois. The natural scenery is very nice.
Then one takes the ferry to Washington Island and you're back in small town Wisconsin. "Git fiddles" and cheap beer at the bar.
I would imagine that if you like a rural environment and could get used to the weather, Washington Island and the peninsula would be terrific places to live.

Old 03-19-2007, 02:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,657 times
As someone who actually LIVES in Door County year-round I may be able to assist you with your inquiry. However, I do live in Southern Door County which is an area that you are not interested in but I will try to help you nonetheless. Like others have said, most of the jobs during the summer are all tourist-oriented including my own. However jobs at places such as restaurants, hospitals, movie theaters, stores, etc need people all year. If you are looking for a job that is not in the tourism field, you're options are limited, ESPECIALLY in northern Door County. If you are looking for a quiet place to live, Door County definitely is that in the winter but it is fairly busy during the summer and early fall. The best time to find jobs are definitely spring and early summer as this is right before the busiest time of year. The area has definitely grown a lot and property as well as condos and apartments are expensive depending on where you look. Apartments in Sturgeon Bay are bound to be cheaper and it is not that far away from the northern area. If you are looking for a house on the beach, expect to pay a lot. Door county is very lively in the summer with many activities going on but is very dead in the winter with limited activities going on.

If you have any more questions or concerns feel free to contact me.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:02 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,864,223 times
just a thought, if you dont choose door county you might also like other small places like tomahawk, eagle river, or waupaca. they are all fairly small places, though bigger than the towns in door county (except sturgeon bay), but i dont believe they curl up and die through the winter. lots of lakes and trees and small town atmosphere in each of those places. my friend's parents recently retired in eagle river, actually.

how small are you looking? other ideas are shawano or rhinelander, which are a tad bigger but hey, more jobs. and rhinelander especially is out in the forest boonies! honestly i'm not sure what anyone in door county does except work/own a nicknack shop. (not meant to insult, but you know).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin