Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 01:48 PM

44 posts, read 162,645 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I've been living in Chicago suburbs for the last 21 yrs and craving for beautiful scenery and a small town atmosphere. I am 51 yr "young" and I past my "socializing in town" long ago. At this age, I am interested in a different kind of life.
This week I took a drive again to Door County and although it is winter and no snow, it looked very nice (never been there in summer). I am looking for such an area, a small town where everybody knows everybody. where the time "stands still", people are nice, decent and caring for each other, where there IS some quality of life and you can make a decent/modest living. Where people have some class and pride in maintaining their properties. Is there an other area like Door County ?
As much as I can't wait to relocate, I panic thinking of what's the next step once I put my house on the market. Where do you go from here, where do you live till you find a house to buy, are there any jobs in a such turistic area in winter ?....what kind of business can you open (what would be need it ?)
Does anyone know anything about this area of Wisconsin or a similar one and the people there or about the businesses, the opportunities ? Anything at all ?
I did some reseach and I found that wayyyyyyy .... to many homes and businesses are for sale !!! What's going on ? It seams like everyone is leaving the area .
Please help !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2007, 02:10 PM

Default Door County ? - relocating

So sorry, I forgot to mention, I was referring to NORTHERN part of Door County, never visited the south part (Sturgeon Bay and lower). I love the thick and abundant vegetation and lots of trees. The open fields don't really appeals to me.

Old 01-16-2007, 06:29 PM

Default No one wants to help with Door County ?

Please HELP, I posted my request 2 days ago and I got nothing so far.........
Either no one knows anything about Door County Penninsula or no one wants to help me...............

Old 01-16-2007, 07:36 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,526,666 times
Sorry know nothing of that area.

Old 01-17-2007, 01:33 AM

781 posts, read 1,619,519 times
It is a beautiful area, and I have vacationed there a few times. It is very crowded in the Summer & fall, and also has a winter vacation crowd for cross country skiing.

Summer & fall the major are tourist seasons.

Lots to do, and simply gorgeous.

Old 01-18-2007, 11:02 AM

Lightbulb Thank you

Thank you both for replying.........
Dreamhunter, at least you answered my cry..........you are a sweetheart
Sideblinders, thank you for sharring your impression, very nice of you
I would need info from someone who knows what is like to "live" there all the time.
But, it seams everyone is only traveling there and the residents of Door County don't get on this Forum site or don't want any new residents moving in.

Last edited by snowgirl; 01-18-2007 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: mispelled

Old 01-18-2007, 04:21 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,526,666 times
Your welcome sorry was of no help though. All I know is what people say when they visit.

Old 01-18-2007, 09:40 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,615,586 times
We just sold our property in Door County.Summered there over 20 years .My husbands family is from there,so guess I am a semi native.It has had a tremendous growth,thus big raise in property prices(like just about everywhere I guess).Taxes are high.The town of Sturgeon Bay is the largest with most businesses.The area thrives off of the tourist dollar but there is still occasional hostility and disdain for tourist-MOST towards those from Illinois.(NOTE-I say OCCASIONAL hostility,most folks are just fine) Natives seem to be very conservative and like to hunt.Hunters are big up there-(aint my thang at all).July thru October are the most crowded.Make that CROWDED.The water is great for boating and fishing,but its rare to swim before July or aft the begingin of sept (brrrr)There are a kazillion gift shops,restaraunts,hotel/resorts/motels and the usual tourist stuff.Quaint towns like Ephraim,Fish Creek Sister Bay retain their charm but the areas are all being built up more and more.Where there was once a lovely hill,is now condos,,you've heard it all before.It is a virtual ghost town(s) from new years till late may.You would have to rent there for a while and stay thru the whole yearto decide what kind of business is needed.What you cant get in Sturgeon Bay,you can get an hour away in Green Bay.It is lovely and one of the nicer areas in the midwest,but the season is short for making money in the tourist industry.It is somewhat extended when there are really snowy winters and snowmobiles invade.The Lake Michigan side (Baileys Harbor etc)is known as the "quiet side" as there are less shops,restaraunts etc,It is also always colder then the busier Bay side,and it has sand beaches/lake bottoms as opposed to the rock beaches of Egg harbour etc.Hope this is a little more help for you. PS I might add my kids all worked there for summer jobs.They had no trouble getting them in the restaraunts,shops and the owners are desperate when kids go back to college.You would be appreciated in these areas I'm sure.It may not be your dream career,but it could pay the bills while you decide if this is to be a permanent place for you,,,good luck

Last edited by nanannie; 01-18-2007 at 09:58 PM..

Old 01-18-2007, 09:52 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,615,586 times
One more PS,We are somewhat the same age,and there are many boomers up there,alot are part timers or snow-birds going south for late winter.There are many condos you could rent in Door,easier to find then apts.There are so many condos in all the towns now that I am sure you would have no trouble finding one to rent for awhile.There are also houses for rent,but condos seem a bit more hassle free for someone new and trying the place on for size.Jim Spolorach (sp) at Century 21 Egg Harbor has handled many rentals of people I know and he is a native so knows everything.Fish Creek has the White Gull Inn,Egg Harbor has Landmark,these are just a few Hotels open year round that always seem to be looking for front desk help etc.

Last edited by nanannie; 01-18-2007 at 10:05 PM..

Old 01-21-2007, 12:10 PM

Default nanannie - message

nanannie, did you receive my private message ? If not, please let me know
and thank you so much for all the info. You are not going to believe this, but I need moreeeeeeee .........if you don't mind
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin