U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 08:14 AM

13,207 posts, read 13,138,720 times

Advertisements

Winter can be awesome! :-) I went to a kite festival here in TR and it was great! The bright colored kites against the white snow, pretty neat.

The state parks are open and the views with the snow absolutely super. I enjoy walking in winter as much as other seasons as long as it isn't too icey.

I don't hibernate in winter unless the wind chill is really low (below zero). I always got out and about in Illinois and I do the same things here. I walk in the rain, too, put on my slicker and go for it!

People hibernate in AZ in the summer, others do the same here in the winter, to me it is all in your attitude! If you make up your mind something isn't good, it won't be!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 02:07 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,614,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonM View Post
we lived in WI for several years. we moved there because of a job transfer my husband had. (we moved from CA) I really liked it however the winter kinda got to me and like an idiot i thought that the way they did things were kinda nerdy and the women were out of style and kinda on the rude side. so we moved back to southern california where we are originally from. well, with the way things have changed in CA we are totally regretting the move back here. and now we are gonna go back to WI and this time i will come with a better attitude (not thinking that i'm so cool) and acclimate to my surroundings. The only thing that scares me is the winter. but, my husband says we'll just stay busy and find things to do. well anyway I was just wondering if anyone else out there has done this and if you have how did it turn out for you?
I am in a similar situation as you. I moved to Denver 4 years ago and I will be moving back to Milwaukee when my lease is up this December. Everybody thinks I'm nuts for leaving Denver because it is supposedly so hip and cool, but I miss the quirky people and personalities of WI. I won't have as difficult of a time adjusting to the weather as someone from SoCal, although the winters in Denver are pretty mild by comparison. As far as the weather is concerned you just gotta remember things like gloves, hat, scarf, and a heavy coat. I was just back in Milwaukee for Summerfest and couldn't believe how green and lush the city was compared to Denver. Now I feel like I'm living in Phoenix or some terrible desert locale. Even the golf courses here look brownish yellow compared to the ones in WI. There's just something about WI that is unique and wonderful. I miss lakes and rivers and swimming and boating in summer. If fashion is a major concern for you there's alway Chicago to the south of us for world class shopping.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:50 PM

656 posts, read 1,236,593 times
jjacob--
thanks for the encouragement. i know what you mean about the beauty. everything here is pretty much dead and there is graffiti everywhere. we are definitely looking forward to moving back.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:51 PM

sussancruzs-
i really believe you're right on the positive mental attitude.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:00 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,568,909 times
My relatives in Appleton go ice fishing, watch the Packers and play lots of "Sheepshead."

I'd move to Wisconsin in a heartbeat if I could convince my family to see the Midwest is as awesome as I know it is.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:03 PM

ice fishing would be cool. the only problem with me is that i have a lack of patience. i'd get it all set up stick my line in the hole and say what's next.??? my kids always tell me i have a.d.d

Old 07-24-2008, 05:18 PM

620 posts, read 1,743,096 times
shannonM: Just curious - where in CA do you live? My brother lives in Mission Hills (do you know it?) and says his whole neighborhood is graffited-up and full of trash. He's been there 30 yrs. and wants to leave too.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:36 PM

suecen-

i live in southern california in a little city near Temecula. (wine country) it's not as bad as mission hills but we do have our problems. mission hills is up above L.A. we still see graffiti here. but the major problem is anywhere you want to go as far as nature is concerned like going to the mountains or the falls or even the beach they are getting very torn up and ruined. the state started making people buy a pass if you wanted to go hiking or go to the lake or anything as far as that's concerned but the only problem is the only one's buying the passes are those of us who are NOT causing problems. and there is really no one out enforcing it. and you get all the little gang banger wanna be's hanging out giving you stare downs. if you can believe this these punks even graffiti on boulders and trees. leave their babies dirty diapers laying around and trash everywhere.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:42 AM

620 posts, read 1,743,096 times
ShannonM: (love the name - my daughter's name is Shannon too!); Anyway, you described exactly what my brother has told me; he's got the dirty diapers, trash all over his streets too). Last year his car was stolen right from his driveway. None of my family members will even visit/stay with him because we don't feel safe; haven't been there in 9 years and don't plan on it anytime soon unfortunately. A couple months back he was on his way home and glanced over at somebody in their yard. Would you believe the guy followed him home and asked him what he was looking at! Scary!! Where in WI do you want to move? (Sorry for rambling on here)

Last edited by suecen; 07-25-2008 at 07:45 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-25-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suecen View Post
ShannonM: (love the name - my daughter's name is Shannon too!); Anyway, you described exactly what my brother has told me; he's got the dirty diapers, trash all over his streets too). Last year his car was stolen right from his driveway. None of my family members will even visit/stay with him because we don't feel safe; haven't been there in 9 years and don't plan on it anytime soon unfortunately. A couple months back he was on his way home and glanced over at somebody in their yard. Would you believe the guy followed him home and asked him what he was looking at! Scary!! Where in WI do you want to move? (Sorry for rambling on here)
OMG!!! we moved from an area about a year ago where we had a home built from the ground up. it was a beautiful home. but the low lives ruined it and we left to come to this area. we would drive down our street and there was this low life family who's teenage kids hung out in the street and they wouldn't move for you to get out of the neighborhood. they'd hit your car and call you out. absolutely horrible. so do you think your brother will move? i hope he does. we are gonna move to the appleton area we will be rolling out june 1st 2009. we have a daughter who will be a senior so we are gonna let her finish up and then we are all going. we lived for 4 years in manitowoc wi and loved it but we ended up coming back to cali cause we thought the kids needed their family (cousins aunts uncles and grandparents) but now we feel we short changed them. my husband and I both grew up here but this is not the CA of days old. BTW one time my daughter and i were coming home from the grocery store and passed a car and happened to look at them so they sped up cut us off and started throwing spaghetti oh's cans at our car TRUE STORY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin