U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 06:17 PM

620 posts, read 1,744,007 times

Advertisements

Shannon: That is exactly how I'm imagining CA has become; Years ago if you heard somebody was moving to CA you were in awe. My brother loved it when he moved there in the late '70's but that has all changed. Every time I talk to him he says how much he hates it. He keeps talking about moving to Santa Fe because he's an artist and really enjoyed it a few yrs. back when he visited and said the people were great. The problem is he has a house and because of the crappy neighborhood doesn't know what it would sell for. His l6-yr-old boy started driving and he's scared to death for him because of all the nuts out there on the road! I have a friend who has lived in a lot of places and lastly moved to Oshkosh from Connecticut; she loves the area to raise her kids and also loves Appleton; I hear only good things about that city!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 12:21 AM

656 posts, read 1,237,177 times
thanks suecen, I think we will like it. we're really looking forward to the move. so your brother has ruled out WI? I know what you mean about the housing we lost 30,000. moving from that bad area i told you about. we have a grandson who is 3 mos old and my son and his wife are really looking forward to raising him in a better environment. have you lived in WI all your life? and what part are you in?

Old 07-26-2008, 12:54 AM

195 posts, read 488,684 times
My biggest worry is gaining weight in the winter months. It is so hard to actually get out there and do any kind of exercise in the winter months. And eating all the time when you are coped up. But I'm so looking forward it anyways. I love the fall in WI and I remember the summer being warm not hot and real humid only for short periods. Unlike the south.

Old 07-26-2008, 01:03 AM

hi tim mac- i would suggest getting a membership to the YMCA or another gym if you are worried about weight gain.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:36 AM

620 posts, read 1,744,007 times
Hi shannonM! Yes I've lived in WI all my life - Right now I'm in Germantown and have been since '83. Prior to that lived in different suburbs and spent five years in La Crosse while in college (I LOVE that area and go back once a year). No it's hard to even get my brother back here to WI to visit - doesn't like it here but hates CA (??). Of course my mom would love him to come back but he never will. I've traveled around much of the country but really have never found that one "perfect" place I think I would like to live so stay here. I also have a daughter in college here and it would be hard to leave her. This fall I'm going to West Virginia for the fall colors and beauty. Oh - one state I really enjoy is Tennessee (Nashville in particular) - lots to do and just a great city. I'm going to be talking to my brother this weekend - will get the scoop on all the crazy things going on in CA - LOL!! Have a great weekend!!!!

Old 07-26-2008, 10:25 AM

That's funny that you mention TN it was between TN and WI for us and we chose WI because it seemed that TN was a more rural type of setting. not really any small self contained cities. we wanted to move to an area where there is always something to do. and we like the tree lined streets and sense of community WI cities seem to offer. that's cool that you have a college student. i have one who is gonna be starting college this fall. maybe your brother will consider TN. i hope he makes it out of CA someday. i know lots of people who hate it here but will never leave. they'll stay and complain forever. well off to work i go. have a great weekend too.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:56 AM

286 posts, read 1,093,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim-mac View Post
My biggest worry is gaining weight in the winter months. It is so hard to actually get out there and do any kind of exercise in the winter months. And eating all the time when you are coped up. But I'm so looking forward it anyways. I love the fall in WI and I remember the summer being warm not hot and real humid only for short periods. Unlike the south.
Tim or Mac, respectfully here, just bundle up and go! Winter activities are high calorie burners. And at the same time it is harder to get yourself really heated up. Lace on the skates, strap on the cross country skiis, drag out the sled or toboggan, hike out onto the lake for some ice fishing, just bundle up and take a winter hike, hike around for some winter photography. Get a job as a lumberjack! You can let winter work for you or you can let it work against you.

I used to do winter hiking and camping along the C&O Canal NP out of the Washington DC area. I found that the wildlife was much more relaxed in winter. There were far fewer people out there that time of year. Usually had the park all to myself, not even the rangers were out. And it never got really cold there, hardly ever dipped below zero. Just about ideal for strenuous winter work.

And you can set your pace so you are just comfortable. If you are getting heated up, just slow down a little and loosen up some buttons. If you are getting chilled, just step out a little bit. Winter hiking is great. And the greatest part? I found that I could burn 8 or 10 thousand calories a day if I chose to. After several days of activity like that, the endorphins have really kicked in, and I found that my system felt great for months afterwards.

So, the trick is to just get out there and put some effort in to it. I realize that for some people it is a matter of getting up the will power to do it. But the payoff is huge. Bottom line is that you just have do it. Make it a decision and do it.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:26 AM

4,229 posts, read 16,633,222 times
I agree with gallon. Cross country skiing is great as well as snow shoeing.

Old 07-26-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonM View Post
hi tim mac- i would suggest getting a membership to the YMCA or another gym if you are worried about weight gain.
Shan, what about getting all dressed up just to go to the Y. I was thinking about just getting the right gear and walking in my neighborhood along with a Y membership. Just in case I don't feel like going to the trouble.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:05 PM

GALLON and JOSHB, Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I had lived in WI for a few years and it was just too easy to decide not to go out and exercise in the winter months. I've finally lost some weight that I carried for years....even before moving to WI. I've kept it off so far for a few years now and am really worried about gaining it back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin