U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 09:35 PM

39 posts, read 120,061 times

Advertisements

I lived in WI for 30 years and now live in MN. You just learn to put up with it. The below zero only lasts a month or so. Seasons are great and make you enjoy the time you have outside. Fall mornings are the best when it is cool and crisp. I hate Jan and Feb, but make it through by getting stuff done inside.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 09:37 PM

39 posts, read 120,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim-mac View Post
My biggest worry is gaining weight in the winter months. It is so hard to actually get out there and do any kind of exercise in the winter months. And eating all the time when you are coped up. But I'm so looking forward it anyways. I love the fall in WI and I remember the summer being warm not hot and real humid only for short periods. Unlike the south.
That's what sweaters are for

Old 10-09-2008, 08:24 PM

375 posts, read 1,262,980 times
We can't wait for winter to start up again. We love spending time outdoors in winter. I think I walked outside everyday last winter except for 2-4 days. I can't wait to strap on the snowshoes and go through the woods.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:03 PM

656 posts, read 1,237,106 times
that's cool that you keep yourself active. that's the best thing to do i'm sure. my problem is that i am lazy i keep saying that i am gonna start walking every evening and then there is always an excuse not to.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:44 AM

3 posts, read 9,030 times
ShannonM,
Do you have an idea of when are you planning on moving? have you found a place or area to move to?

Old 10-17-2008, 04:17 PM

537 posts, read 1,850,090 times
I also love winter. I enjoy being outside in the cold. I think you can always dress for the cold and stay warm but if it is hot and you're outside not much you can do. Good luck with your move!

Old 10-19-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locator View Post
ShannonM,
Do you have an idea of when are you planning on moving? have you found a place or area to move to?
we are planning to move this next summer. lord willing thanks for asking. as for houses I haven't really done too much investigating yet.

Old 10-19-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekg56 View Post
I also love winter. I enjoy being outside in the cold. I think you can always dress for the cold and stay warm but if it is hot and you're outside not much you can do. Good luck with your move!
see I guess what I'm wondering is.....can you make yourself adapt to the winter or is it something you have to grow up with to be able to "enjoy it" does that make sense????

Old 10-19-2008, 01:01 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,561,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonM View Post
see I guess what I'm wondering is.....can you make yourself adapt to the winter or is it something you have to grow up with to be able to "enjoy it" does that make sense????

You can definitely adapt to winter. It might take you one or two seasons, depends on how much you get out and give your body a chance to make the adjustment.

A really good jacket (think Lands End or LL Bean) is essential as are silk long johns, good waterproof boots with heavy socks, and mittens or gloves. Hats are not an option for me but I do wear Thermal 180 earmuffs. They are the really thin but super warm ones that don't show much as opposed to the big furry puffy ones. If you can stand wearing a hat, get one that pulls down over your ears.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:50 PM

375 posts, read 1,262,980 times
You can adjust. Your blood will thicken up after it has been exposed to the cold. We have friends that lived by us in upstate NY. So they were use to the cold but then they moved to Texas. They came to visit us in WI in Feb. It was about 30 degrees and they were freezing. We were running around in sweatshirts and they were bundled up and still cold. I think their blood thinned out in the warmer climate.

I rarely wear a heavy jacket. I hate jackets, they make me feel confined. I swear by Under Armor, then a turtleneck, a sweatshirt and either a fleece topper or a windbreaker. When I am walking I wear running pants but I like jeans with a flannel lining if we are outside or at a football game.
Gander Mountain has great winter hats and gloves. I bought a hat that had a liner and I actually would sweat when I wore it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin