U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 09:26 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,891,751 times

Advertisements

l too moved to Wisconsin from Southern California. I was born and raised in San Diego, and moved to Wisconsin in 2007.

I'm still not used to the winters, but it's not the cold I dislike so much, it's the precariousness of the ice on the roads and in the parking lots. I have slipped and fallen on the ice so many times, I've stopped counting.

But, oooooh, the beautiful springs and summers in Wisconsin. It is so green and beautiful here. Sometimes I just go driving for hours on backroads and country roads and enjoy the trees and cornfields and complete beauty of this state.

The winters are harsh, but the worst of it lasts only about 5 months, and then the rewards of spring and summer are completely worth it!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 01:41 PM

38,705 posts, read 96,280,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
I'm still not used to the winters, but it's not the cold I dislike so much, it's the precariousness of the ice on the roads and in the parking lots. I have slipped and fallen on the ice so many times, I've stopped counting.
Get yourself a pair of YakTrax (http://www.yaktrax.com/ProductsWalker.aspx - broken link). I have a pair and they're brilliant.

Old 12-04-2008, 03:11 PM

13,230 posts, read 13,151,366 times
Once the first snowfall comes, I never go outside without boots with a good tread. Even for just a few minutes, quick trip to the store, I put on my boots, can't risk falling.

Old 12-04-2008, 03:16 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,239,230 times
You must learn to walk ever so gingerly FCG. You gotta kinda shuffle your feet when you detect ice and move slowly. You can't always see the danger either, it's kind of an instinct LOL! I can't recall ever falling, knock on ice.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:07 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,891,751 times
Quote:
You must learn to walk ever so gingerly FCG. You gotta kinda shuffle your feet when you detect ice and move slowly. You can't always see the danger either, it's kind of an instinct LOL! I can't recall ever falling, knock on ice.
LOL! This is so true. I'm slowly getting the hang of it though (although I slipped in my garage this morning...ugh).

Old 12-05-2008, 05:43 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,239,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
LOL! This is so true. I'm slowly getting the hang of it though (although I slipped in my garage this morning...ugh).
You poor thing! Hasn't anyone informed you about needing to salt the icy areas? (doesn't work if it's too cold) Your best bet as previously mentioned, is to have a good tread on your footwear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin