U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2008, 12:51 PM

10 posts, read 56,695 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I am Asian and I will be interviewed with Trane. I am wondering
1. How diverse La Crosse is ? How big Asian group is?
2. Is $85K/y good enough for family of three (with one 3-year-old son)?
3. How much for day care per month?

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 03:32 PM

746 posts, read 2,077,920 times
As far as the Asian population, you should find a Hmong population in the area, not sure how big it is there though.
A salary of $85k is sufficient for a family of 3 ANYWHERE in Wisconsin. La Crosse is no exception.
As far as the daycare, it's been a few years since I paid daycare. A few years ago $20/day was about average in the area.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:59 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,549,134 times
La Crosse isn't particularly diverse. There are some Hmong people, but for the most part, it's a white town.

The salary should be fine though.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:04 AM

24,398 posts, read 18,893,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qd6666 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am Asian and I will be interviewed with Trane. I am wondering
1. How diverse La Crosse is ? How big Asian group is?
2. Is $85K/y good enough for family of three (with one 3-year-old son)?
3. How much for day care per month?

Thanks
La Crosse is not really a diverse city, inspite of the presence of Hmong population, but as a professional you'll enjoy your life here anyway.
Although it's relatively a small town ( about 50,000 people) the style of life is more urban, comparably with a lot of really small towns in the area. Two Universities and college, plus two big hospitals are major employers ( plus Train of course.)
Very clean, very green and very safe town, just beware; here students drink a lot and party a lot downtown, so it can be very noisy at times.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:46 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,549,134 times
^Definitely. It's a bar town. Things can get a little rowdy.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:16 PM

10 posts, read 28,943 times
I guess you were from China? 'cause I was,

There is a small Chinese population here in La Crosse, maybe around 100? Many of them work for Train.

The living cost here is not high at all, and with your salary you will be able to afford a decent house with no problem. The place is safe and scenic. The only thing you may not like very much is that there is no "real" Chinese restaurant in the area. I go to the Twin Cities in MN for authentic Chinese foods and groceries. Also a city called Rochester is about an hour away by driving, and has a good Asian style buffet/ grocery store.

Hope this helps. Email me if you have further question. Good luck with your job interview!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin